U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 09:07 AM

15,724 posts, read 9,573,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Not only that, the meds can lower your viral load to such low levels that you cannot transmit the virus. It really is a remarkable advance, and having a huge impact on lowering rates of new infections all over the world.
From what I've read recently, they are actually close to a cure for HIV. I hope it happens soon. Technically it's been cured in one human, but that was a fluke due to a cancer treatment and donor who seems to be immune to the disease.

Incurable illnesses suck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 AM

15,724 posts, read 9,573,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
Mississippi has nothing to do with this subject. I can quote Thomas Jefferson when he wrote sodomites are more dangerous to society than a man having sex with a cow.

We were told in an aids briefing the disease sprung to humans when a homosexual had sex with a monkey. The class was on a army base.
A sodomite is a male temple prostitute. And more heterosexuals commit sodomy than gays. You were not told a gay person had sex with a monkey. That is a lie and myth.

Your posts are disgusting and insulting.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:36 PM

55,317 posts, read 53,992,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Looks like a heavy read, but I'll have to check it out sometime! There's also a really great (largely) autobiographical play titled The Normal Heart, which was was written in 1985 by a gay-Jewish man in New York... I read the screenplay for a class in high school (the beauty of attending a private school ), and it made a pretty strong impact on me.

The Normal Heart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amazon.com: The Normal Heart (9780573619939): Larry Kramer, Joseph Papp: Books
Looks interesting. I had not heard of that.

Randy Shilts, the author of And The Band Played On, was the only reporter covering AIDS from the very early days. The history is fascinating--telling how the earliest cases of young men dying of an ancient type of pneumonia in NYC was a complete nystery to the medical field, and how those first deaths could be traced back to the summer of 1976 when the tall ships came into NY Harbor for the nation's bicentenniel.

I believe Shilts was from San Francisco, so he covered the stories when "gay cancer" first hit there and the gay community feared that they were to be put in concentration camps. And the government did nothing and provided no funding--the two guys at the CDC who were trying to track down the cause of these deaths spent their own money to buy a microscope to look at tissue samples of the dead. Not until a celebrity announced that he had the disease (Rock Hudson) did anyone pay any real attention, and by then it had spread beyond the point where it could be confined.

Randy Shilts died of AIDS in 1994. His book is still worth reading, especially, IMO, for those of us who remember a time when no one had ever heard of AIDS.

Another thing I liked about this book was the explanation of the "four Hs", for those of you who remember: Homosexuals, Hemophiliacs, Heroin Addicts and Haitians. They were the populations in which the virus was first known to be the highest. The first three were always easy because the disease was blood-borne, but I could never figure out why Haitians were so connected with AIDS. It turns out it's because the Congo had gained independence from the Belgians and tossed them out, but because their government and upper echelon were all now French speakers and governmental documents were written in French, there were openings in their government for French-speaking blacks, and a number of educated Haitians went there to fill those positions. And picked up AIDS while in the Congo.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-28-2012 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-28-2012, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
As it has been explained in a post above there is SIV and HIV. The two are similar in some respects but they are not the same viruses.
What kind of class did you attend that says a "homosexual" had sex with a monkey? What proof is there that a "homosexual" had sex with a animal?

ROFL. The very word "Homosexual" is defined as having sexual with another HUMAN of the same gender. Would Simiosexual be the word that poster is looking for, and which I just made up?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Wrong. The first AIDS cases were heterosexuals, not gays. Look up David Carr, and Arvid Noe. There are earlier cases of an unnamed man and woman in the Congo who died from AIDS.

There was a Scandinavian nurse who worked in the Congo who got sick and went home to die. She is one of the early known cases, too.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:17 PM

30,455 posts, read 33,255,910 times
Don't hetro farm guys have sex with animals a lot? I was told that so it must be true.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:28 PM

2,219 posts, read 4,118,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's really sad to think about, but luckily he's doing great on the meds - all of his counts were healthy at his last checkup, and he takes pretty good care of himself otherwise. Thankfully it's no longer a death sentence, at least not in countries with decent healthcare, so I'm hoping he will live a nice, long life.
HIV is an extremely serious disease that is very difficult to live with. You need to always stay on top with your meds, eat well, work out, and make many changes to your lifestyle. The meds also cause many serious side effects that are comparable to chemotherapy.

BUT you are right. It is no longer a death sentence. It is now a chronic illness, and people who do learn to manage it live productive and active lives in tune with the rest of the population. The lifespan of a person with HIV who manages their illness (and of course isn't infected with other diseases) is getting close to that of an average human.

That being said, its not a disease to sweep under the rug and it must be avoided at all costs for the sake of one's overall health and well being.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:54 PM

18,012 posts, read 10,242,791 times
Legionaires have sex with diseased air conditioning systems; hence, legionaires disease! There ya go senator, another group to pillory.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:58 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,071,936 times
Everybody calm down...This is just the normal Republican script...Within the next couple of months, now that this right-wing puke/biggot has made these statements, people will start paying attention to his personal life. And it's only a matter of time before he's busted in a sleazy motel room taking it up the rear from 'Chuck' and smoking meth, while his glorious perfect Christian family is sitting at home wondering what he's doing.

And of course being a right-wing slimebag, he won't come out and realize what a pathetic, biggoted, hypocritical piece of crap he is...He will make some statement to the effect about how this is a 'personal matter', and about how he loves baby jesus even more because he is just a flawed person who committed a sin and through 'baby jesus' he will fix himself.

Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 PM

3,337 posts, read 2,559,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Unbelievable. He also says that homosexuality is "glorified", gay kids aren't bullied, and that kids can become gay just by telling them about homosexuality.

This guy certainly lives up to the stereotype of today's Neanderthal Republican. Maybe we should expect to see him running for President in 2016.

Stacey Campfield, Tennessee Senator Behind 'Don't Say Gay' Bill, On Bullying, AIDS And Homosexual 'Glorification'
Some people do glorify homo-sex.

Gay kids are bullied.. duh!

Kids have become gay due to peer pressure. I kissed a girl and i liked it, increased lesbian experimentation in pub skools.

Gay is a choice that has consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or