U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 12:45 PM

20,894 posts, read 13,623,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Transcripts from the GA hearings:

Farrar v Obama ( Georgia - Farrar, et al. v Obama - Certified Transcript 1-26-12 Hearing tfb ) - represented by Orly Taitz

As ever, Orly is a riot of laughs.

ETA: Even better, none of Orly's "evidence" has been admitted into evidence!!!!
My god... but that is even funnier than I thought it would be... given how bad the sound quality was.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, I didn't. Go back and provide the proof requested:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22773184-post183.html
I told you, I'm not going to keep chasing you to answer a question you refuse to answer.

That discussion is over.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:49 PM

40,018 posts, read 24,282,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No, I didn't. Go back and provide the proof requested:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/22773184-post183.html
How about you first?

You asserted a "long history" of distinguishing between "native-born" and "natural-born". If the history is extensive, there must be numerous examples of such distinctions being made. Please provide some.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:53 PM

16,438 posts, read 19,097,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
It makes perfect sense. The post was addressed to Bideshi, who has been repeatedly asserting that it's possible that Obama was not born in the United States. While I'm sure you want to intercede on her behalf, actually try to respond to the question rather than bs'ing everyone.
Actually, I'm a him, and I am content to see how the legal affairs play out. There is no point in speculation as to other's motives at this time.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Actually, I'm a him, and I am content to see how the legal affairs play out. There is no point in speculation as to other's motives at this time.
In other words, you cannot provide a motive for such a conspiracy at all.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In other words, you cannot provide a motive for such a conspiracy at all.
That would require him actually confronting the transcendent dumbness of his own position.

And we all know that Birthers don't like to do that.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
That would require him actually confronting the transcendent dumbness of his own position.

And we all know that Birthers don't like to do that.
What's bizarre is that it's okay to speculate on a public forum that a sitting President has been involved in a massive conspiracy, but to question the reason for such a conspiracy is evidently bad form.

Old 01-30-2012, 01:44 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,339,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
what exactly is your definition of an "obot" ?
The opposite of an "Orly-bot"?

Old 01-30-2012, 01:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 5,338,406 times
I wonder why Steve didn't bother to address this. Seeing as he replied to posts after this one, that refutes his claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
And courts have used the terms interchangeably for over 200 years:

A list of quotes from books that have used Native born and Natural born to mean the same thing:

Natural Born Quotes « Native and Natural Born Citizenship Explored
“As the President is required to be a native citizen of the United States…. Natives are all persons born within the jurisdiction and allegiance of the United States.”

James Kent, COMMENTARIES ON AMERICAN LAW (1826)

-----
“That provision in the constitution which requires that the president shall be a native-born citizen (unless he were a citizen of the United States when the constitution was adopted) is a happy means of security against foreign influence,…A very respectable political writer makes the following pertinent remarks upon this subject. “Prior to the adoption of the constitution, the people inhabiting the different states might be divided into two classes: natural born citizens, or those born within the state, and aliens, or such as were born out of it.”

St. George Tucker, BLACKSTONE’S COMMENTARIES (1803)

-----

“The term citizen, was used in the constitution as a word, the meaning of which was already established and well understood. And the constitution itself contains a direct recognition of the subsisting common law principle, in the section which defines the qualification of the President… The only standard which then existed, of a natural born citizen, was the rule of the common law, and no different standard has been adopted since. Suppose a person should be elected President who was native born, but of alien parents, could there be any reasonable doubt that he was eligible under the constitution? I think not. ”

Lynch vs. Clarke (NY 1844)

-----

“By the terms of the Constitution he must have been a citizen of the United States for nine years before he could take a seat here, and seven years before he could take a seat in the other House ; and, in order to be President of the United States, a person must be a native-born citizen. It is the common law of this country, and of all countries, and it was unnecessary to incorporate it in the Constitution, that a person is a citizen of the country in which he is born….I read from Paschal’s Annotated Consitutution, note 274: “All persons born in the allegiance of the king are natural born subjects, and all persons born in the allegiance of the United States are natural born citizens. Birth and allegiance go together. Such is the rule of the common law, and it is the common law of this country as well as of England. There are two exceptions, and only two, to the universality of its application. The children of ambassadors are, in theory, born in the allegiance of the powers the ambassadors represent, and slaves, in legal contemplation, are property, and not persons.”

Sen. Trumbull (author or the Civil Rights Act of 1866), April 11, 1871, Cong. Globe. 1st Session, 42nd Congress, pt. 1, pg. 575 (1872)

-----

It is now generally assumed that the term “natural born” is synonymous with “native born.” “It [therefore] is clear enough that native-born citizens are eligible [for the presidency] and that naturalized citizens are not.” There is a general agreement among commentators, whether or not they are advocates of an originalist approach to constitutional interpretation, that “whether someone born of American parents abroad would be considered a natural born citizen” is an open question.”

Lawrence Freedman, An Idea Whose Time Has Come–The Curious History, Uncertain Effect, and Need for Amendment of the “Natural Born Citizen” Requirement for the Presidency, 52 St. Louis U. L.J. 137, 143 (2007)

More at link.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:11 PM

2,703 posts, read 2,339,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McGarrett View Post
Yes it would. In fact, Obama claims he is a native citizen on his website Fight the Smears where he also claims the British Nationality Act of 1948 governed his birth status. Of course we all know Article 2 Section 1 states this:

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

Notice it specifically says 'natural' and not 'native'?

This is what it says on his campaign website:

"The truth is, Barack Obama was born in the state of Hawaii in 1961, a native citizen of the United States of America."

Again, Article 2 Section 1 specifically calls for a natural born citizen, not a native born citizen.
You birthers are irony-proof, aren't you? It doesn't matter what Obama calls himself on his website. Last I checked, a web-bio is not the determining factor of your legal standing. it's what he is (A natural born citizen) that matters. It's not up to you to decide his citizenship status, Hell, it's not even for him to decide. He could say he's from Mars on his website and it wouldn't make a lick of difference because his COLB says he was born in Hawaii.
You lose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or