Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 01:07 PM

576 posts, read 586,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Ouch. A house, with the associated interest and property tax payments should result in your federal income tax dropping a bit. However...I think you only accounted for the portion of your "contribution" to SS. The employer's portion, also a part of your compensation package, is another ~7%. Making your tax load closer to 36%. All this before sales taxes, fees, fuel taxes and the embedded taxes in all goods and services you purchase. Most likely your total tax load is 40-55% of your income. Doesn't that make you feel all warm and fuzzy?
Not only that, wasnt the SS rate only like 4.2% this year for employees instead of the normal 6.2%?

So you can add another 2% whenever that stops.

It's insane. And the middle to upper-middle class gets screwed. Especially single, childless workers.

I'm going to make about 30% more in 2012 than I did in 2011 as well so I cant wait to see how that turns out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 02:31 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
The spin machine has been out in full force distorting the truth about Romney's income tax return rate, which is slightly under an effective rate of 15%.

97% of Americans pay less than an effective income tax rate of 15%.

47% of American households pay an effective tax rate of 0% or even make a profit off of income taxes.

Maybe Romney should/could pay more...but the spin that he pays less than the common American is a lie.

Furthermore, ALL Americans pay 15% on Dividends...additionally Democrats like JFK and Bill Clinton have encouraged investing through means like lowering the dividend tax rate, as they believed that investing helps the economy.
Just a quick question: if that's the case, why so many argue that we Americans are "taxed to death"?

Old 01-30-2012, 03:31 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon
The spin machine has been out in full force distorting the truth about Romney's income tax return rate, which is slightly under an effective rate of 15%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Just a quick question: if that's the case, why so many argue that we Americans are "taxed to death"?
Kinda throws out the whole 'T.E.A.' argument..........

Of course with Newt's proposed plan, Romney would pay next to nothing, and the rest of the working stiffs would still pay a lot more.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:27 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I think many Tea Party members are as much concerned about the deficit and the debt as they are the tax rate.

I could support the bottom 50% paying zero tax if the budget was balanced. Or at least close.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:45 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,391,174 times
Americans pay numerous taxes like payroll, federal, state, local, gas, rentals, capital gains, cigarette, inheritance, liquor, marriage license, luxury, property, real estate, sales, soc. security, telephone, utility, vehicle and probably many more. Add that to 15% and yikes!! That's probably what "taxed to death" means. I know I feel taxed to death.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Furthermore, ALL Americans pay 15% on Dividends...additionally Democrats like JFK and Bill Clinton have encouraged investing through means like lowering the dividend tax rate, as they believed that investing helps the economy.
Many Americans with a low level of earned income pay 0% on long term capital gains.......

Old 01-30-2012, 08:52 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
B

You expect these folks to relate his tax rate to their situation...

No. But I expect that all healthy Americans should pay some income taxes.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:57 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:

47% of American households pay an effective tax rate of 0% or even make a profit off of income taxes.

Maybe Romney should/could pay more...but the spin that he pays less than the common American is a lie.

What was your tax rate?

Old 01-30-2012, 10:31 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. But I expect that all healthy Americans should pay some income taxes.
For the poorest I think payroll taxes are enough. I could handle zero. It's the negative tax rate that gets me.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:40 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
For the poorest I think payroll taxes are enough. I could handle zero. It's the negative tax rate that gets me.
which is what most of the poor/middle get

between housing interest credit, tax credit, child credit, tuition credit, health care cost credit, energy credit, EIC, make work credit,..most have a zero to negative tax rate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies