U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 04:49 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,926,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I skimmed through it. I see no reason you should be able to decide who else breathes in the cigarette smoke you've chosen for yourself. This doesn't stop at little kids who have virtually no options, either. It includes all of us. Smokers should be very considerate of their surroundings when they light up.
I'm curious about this as well

Quote:
Well, people SHOULD recycle (and it should be made more accessible to people in smaller towns or rural areas). And we should also do everything we can to minimize pollution from our vehicles. But of course, the problem with this comparison is that automobiles serve quite an important function when compared to smoking a cigarette. At best, you successfully put all these things on the same to-do list. But "Keep cigarette smoke away from our children" still shows up at the top no matter whatcha do.
This is true.

One more thing to add. To the smokers in this thread, please stop flicking your butts all over creation. No need to be a litter bug. Put them out and keep them in your pocket. I know that's gross, but it's better than littering so that we don't all have to share in the nastiness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 04:55 AM

Default Another reason to quit!

Smokers have lower IQs

"
Smokers have lower IQs than those who abstain, with intelligence decreasing the more one smokes, researchers have found.
Researchers in Israel took data from more than 20,000 healthy men before, during and after they spent time in the Israeli military.
A study of 18 to 21-year-old men revealed that the IQs of smokers averaged 94 seven points lower than non-smokers on 101.
The study also measured effects in twin brothers and in the case where one twin smoked, the non-smoking twin registered a higher IQ on average.
Prof Weiser said: "People on the lower end of the average IQ tend to display poorer overall decision-making skills when it comes to their health."

You can read the rest here.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,681,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I think smoking is also correlated with risk of type II diabetes, which is really here nor there. It's not a rational argument to smoke. People only smoke for 2-3 reasons 1. Starts out via stupidity or 2. boredom and continues due to 3. addiction.
Anti's can be so presumptuous. There is another reason y'all can't admit for some reason or other: 4. We just like to smoke. So what?

Quote:
Does it really matter? As a smoker I would get sick from sitting in an enclosed space full of smoke. Ever been to one of those airport bars or smoke rooms? No ventilation, just a ton of smoke. It will turn anyone green.
Yep. There's a limit what even a 2 pack a day smoker can handle. Atlanta Hartsfield used to have smoking rooms in all the terminals, (may still have) and it got pretty rank in there. It was like, hot-box it and get the hell out.

Quote:
If your an urban jogger, you have greater risk of lung cancer due to car emissions. The hypocrisy argument is pointless and an intentional distraction (one you have every right to of course). Regardless of all the atrocities that comprise humans, it doesn't mean folk shouldn't try their best if they want to.
What it does mean is that if one is so concerned about one threat, ignoring another in favor of the most "popular" it's an indication that that person isn't REALLY all that concerned about health and, in fact, is driven by something else. Given the types of comments we see in these smoke-bashing threads, it's not so much the SHS too many anti's are against; it's the smokers themselves.

Quote:
I would be surprised if most were capable of reading and understanding studies noted here and on the news.
You can understand them. I can understand them. What makes you think Joe Blow is dumber than us?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Smokers have lower IQs

"
Smokers have lower IQs than those who abstain, with intelligence decreasing the more one smokes, researchers have found.
Researchers in Israel took data from more than 20,000 healthy men before, during and after they spent time in the Israeli military.
A study of 18 to 21-year-old men revealed that the IQs of smokers averaged 94 seven points lower than non-smokers on 101.
The study also measured effects in twin brothers and in the case where one twin smoked, the non-smoking twin registered a higher IQ on average.
Prof Weiser said: "People on the lower end of the average IQ tend to display poorer overall decision-making skills when it comes to their health."

You can read the rest here.
Really? What a surprise. I've smoked since I was, oh....probably 8 or 9 (I'm now 62) and once belonged to the North Texas Chapter of MENSA.

Boy, I guess I musta fooled them, huh?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:

One more thing to add. To the smokers in this thread, please stop flicking your butts all over creation. No need to be a litter bug. Put them out and keep them in your pocket. I know that's gross, but it's better than littering so that we don't all have to share in the nastiness.
I won't disagree with that. Not only is it just simple littering, it doesn't help our cause.

Personally, I still do what I was taught in Army basic training: field strip it. That means knock out the fire and step on it, then put the rest in your pocket for later disposal in the trash.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:44 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,245,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Anti's can be so presumptuous. There is another reason y'all can't admit for some reason or other: 4. We just like to smoke. So what?
NOT to insult you personally. I wouldn't presume you are "stupid" because you smoke. But smoking because you "just like to smoke" is what Braunwyn was arguing is motivated by stupidity. And there's little to argue that.

Hell, I would've thought you'd at least use the "It calms your nerves" excuse. Then point to health benefits that have been said to come with smoking as if there's a chance those are someone's actual reasons to keep doing it. Of course, that would mean conceding that reports in general may very well be valid, not part of a conspiracy as some have suggested.

NOT to attack you or your right to smoke, and not to perpetuate the idea that it should be illegal altogether, but dig deeper: Why do you "just like to smoke"?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
NOT to insult you personally. I wouldn't presume you are "stupid" because you smoke. But smoking because you "just like to smoke" is what Braunwyn was arguing is motivated by stupidity. And there's little to argue that.

Hell, I would've thought you'd at least use the "It calms your nerves" excuse. Then point to health benefits that have been said to come with smoking as if there's a chance those are someone's actual reasons to keep doing it. Of course, that would mean conceding that reports in general may very well be valid, not part of a conspiracy as some have suggested.

NOT to attack you or your right to smoke, and not to perpetuate the idea that it should be illegal altogether, but dig deeper: Why do you "just like to smoke"?
Well, I've never really analyzed it. I just do.

I also like to eat greasy foods, drink cold beer, drive real fast, help out after disasters, play with my grandkids. Like everyone else, the list of things I like to do is virtually endless and who can say WHY we like to do those things? More importantly, do ANY of them alone define an individual?

The answer is no. Collectively, they define us, but not singly. Yet, most of the anti's I meet here and in person are willing to define my whole life on the fact that I smoke and, worse, consign me to the trash heap because of it. And, I think that's defined by what they DON'T like more than anything else, don't you?

Frankly, categorizing people because of some single thing they do which you don't like can't help but be based upon an exaggerated sense of self-importance; hubris. IMHO, if you want to look for the cause of this anti-smoking, anti-smoker rhetoric, that's the place to start, not health.

We all tolerate a great number of things which are dangerous to us, but when we refuse to tolerate even incidental exposure to one specific danger while ignoring the rest, we're saying much more about ourselves than that danger, aren't we?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:10 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,245,374 times
Quote:
We all tolerate a great number of things which are dangerous to us, but when we refuse to tolerate even incidental exposure to one specific danger while ignoring the rest, we're saying much more about ourselves than that danger, aren't we?
Not when we refuse to tolerate a danger due to its risks VS. lack of necessity. My aim is to make living in general as safe as is practical. Sometimes that means tweaking something dangerous, and sometimes it means suggesting that it end completely. Part of what makes up the difference is what we need the dangerous behavior FOR.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
no you don't just like to smoke. You have no choice due to your addiction. I challenge you to smoke nicotine free cigs for one month. You won't be able to do it. If it was simply about enjoying smoking you could.
Quote:
Yep. There's a limit what even a 2 pack a day smoker can handle. Atlanta Hartsfield used to have smoking rooms in all the terminals, (may still have) and it got pretty rank in there. It was like, hot-box it and get the hell out.
yep, pretty nasty.

Quote:
What it does mean is that if one is so concerned about one threat, ignoring another in favor of the most "popular" it's an indication that that person isn't REALLY all that concerned about health and, in fact, is driven by something else. Given the types of comments we see in these smoke-bashing threads, it's not so much the SHS too many anti's are against; it's the smokers themselves.
what it means is that your smoke is more important than your kids. That's really your call as a parent. You assign value and worth to your children for the most part. The difference in opinion here lays with how we each vary in the assigning of value to ourselves and loved ones (to a degree, strangers as well).
Quote:
You can understand them. I can understand them. What makes you think Joe Blow is dumber than us?
I think for the most part critical thinking is not valued nor applied when considering the available research. For that matter it's often not considered at all. This thread provides enough evidence for that assertion. Addiction trumps reason every time.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Really? What a surprise. I've smoked since I was, oh....probably 8 or 9 (I'm now 62) and once belonged to the North Texas Chapter of MENSA.

Boy, I guess I musta fooled them, huh?
Just to be clear, you can sell it somewhere else. I'm not buying it. Any person that fails to grasp the differences between anecdotes and established trends is not in a position to claim advanced intellect. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies