U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 AM

19,078 posts, read 21,897,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I won't disagree with that. Not only is it just simple littering, it doesn't help our cause.

Personally, I still do what I was taught in Army basic training: field strip it. That means knock out the fire and step on it, then put the rest in your pocket for later disposal in the trash.
I was the same way, but it's rare. Smokers usually don't give a crud. It's all par for the course with addicts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM

6,868 posts, read 3,942,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
I am completely appalled that some on this board suggest we myob when someone else is harming another with their behavior, whether intentionally or not.

American selfishness and self-absorption is reaching all time highs and we are not better off for it.
So, is it your job to tell others what to do, MYOB!

Old 02-01-2012, 06:35 AM

Well, it's rel easy, open the window beside you about 1/2 inch and make sure the fan is on. This will pressurise the inside of the car and force all smoke out of the window before it reaches the kids. Problem solved.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Well , you don't see too much of it around these parts. It's been Illegal for the past 3 years and if a cop sees you it will cost you $300.
Whats illegal? Smoking in the car with kids?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM

914 posts, read 1,165,795 times
People need to mind their own business .If somebody wants to smoke with their kids in their home or car then that's their business and not yours .

Old 02-01-2012, 06:46 AM

22,705 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Cigarette smoke is MUCH more harmful than even diesel exhaust.

Cigarette smoke produces 10 times more air pollution than diesel car exhaust

Modern engines are incredibly clean.
Right, that cloud of smog over LA is from cigarette smoke.

Right?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:50 AM

14,078 posts, read 17,654,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Not when we refuse to tolerate a danger due to its risks VS. lack of necessity. My aim is to make living in general as safe as is practical. Sometimes that means tweaking something dangerous, and sometimes it means suggesting that it end completely. Part of what makes up the difference is what we need the dangerous behavior FOR.

What difference does that make? "Un-necessary" risks are a fact of daily life and we can't avoid or control them all. Yes, try to control what you can, but don't fool yourself into thinking it's somehow going to magically ensure utopia or even a longer life. Much of what will eventually kill us is totally out of our control anyhow and we're only deceiving ourselves if we think otherwise.

Expecting to reap a generous harvest of long life and good health by manipulating our environment is just playing the odds as there are no guarantees. Not only that,...well....I won't start preaching about Who actually does have control over our future. Hint: It ain't us.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM

22,705 posts, read 16,808,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Common Anomaly View Post
No, now stop your lying. I have never argued for the state to intervene when a parent smokes in a closed car with a child. I think it is wrong, but never argued for state intervention. You are simply being a dishonest person, lying out of your ass, to create a strawman in order to validate your misguided opinion.

Again, take your lies, distortions, and silly little emoticons elsewhere.
You say you don't want the government involved, you say you don't want the state involved, then what exactly do you want anyone to do?

I think the statement was said, MYOB.

Because once you start going after those who smoke around their kids, you're opening the door for people to go after those who have fat kids, unruly kids, kids who get in to trouble because their parents aren't paying attention, kids who go home to empty houses, etc.

It's not hyperbole, you aren't seeing the big picture.

And thus far, you haven't said what you think anyone should do. If you don't want the Federal Government or state government involved, what, exactly, are you asking for?

I am not going to go up to someone and tell them they shouldn't smoke around their kid and get myself in to some nasty fight. For what? It's not my kid.

M.
Y.
O.
B.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:11 AM

6,491 posts, read 5,235,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
People need to mind their own business .If somebody wants to smoke with their kids in their home or car then that's their business and not yours .
I'll ask you the same question I asked another poster who pulled this cliche: What if you see a parent punch their kid in the face? You gonna do something, or mind your own business? A quick review of this thread will educate you as to why there is really no such thing as "My business, your business"; only justified and unjustified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What difference does that make? "Un-necessary" risks are a fact of daily life and we can't avoid or control them all. Yes, try to control what you can...
Say no more. That is just what we're doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I think the statement was said, MYOB.

Because once you start going after those who smoke around their kids, you're opening the door for people to go after those who have fat kids, unruly kids, kids who get in to trouble because their parents aren't paying attention, kids who go home to empty houses, etc.
So? Some of these parents need criticism (and to heed it, instead of viewing their children as mere property or whatever their warped mentality is). And I'm sure that parents who ABUSE their children would agree; telling someone how to raise their own children is a bad thing, a slippery slope that can do no good. Please!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:39 AM

13,072 posts, read 11,422,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
In my medical record the pulmonologist documented that I have chronic respiratory illness as a result of second hand cigarette smoke.
How did they determine this? How did they isolate that it was second hand smoke and not some other? How did they test to establish such?

I once had a doctor tell me I was suffering from Anxiety disorder and tried to prescribe me anti-depressants, to which after seeking a second opinion who did more research diagnosed an infection with a prescribed solution that remedied the problem.

My grandfather smoked for over 60 years and his new doctor after looking at his lungs said he could tell he never smoked a day in his life.

Careful to accept on face value what a "practitioner" may state, especially when issues of causation can not be properly delineated to such an isolated means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies