U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
 
13,667 posts, read 14,536,595 times
Reputation: 11354

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
1) Try using the quote aspects to respond, your blue text within the quote is a problem as it does not allow the tracking of your responses, nor does it make it easy to even respond to each of your points. Look at the quote tags, cut and past them between each response, it makes discussions much easier.

2) Your second blue response, is a dismissal. You do not attend to any of the logical merit of my discussion. Your response and reasoning is then based on no logical rebuttal and is invalid. Sorry, but I am not going to argue your subjective opinion of objectively and verifiable topics, it is pointless. Try answering to the scientific logic of my response if you would like a response. As it is now, you are just rambling with no logical point.
is this the passage? this is where you have to believe 1/2 of what you read. only a fool would think SHS & FHS are harmless just as it is only a fool who thinks walking by someone is gonna kill them or that sitting behind a BBQ doing up a couple of racks of ribs isn't also a risk at some level. there is a happy medium and in this case many people prefer to keep as far away from SHS as possible.
you say I am not responding to the logical merit of your argument? isn't the logical merit subjective as well? you have said the reports are exaggerated, others say they are on point. so how can me saying you can believe 1/2 of what the research says as a dismissal?

you don't have to reply we really are off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,375,253 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
Not necessarily true, I had an asthma attack once because some smoker thought smoking oustside of my doctors office right next to the only door was perfectly fine, he even came inside to ***** at me because he was smoking outside and acted like I was being the jerk by coughing and needing to use my inhaler, I didn't even say one word to him either. I see this all the time where smokers smoke right in front of the doors of stores and businesses. If I see a group of people smoking I don't seek them out, smokers also need to think about where they light up.
You are a special case. You are abnormal to what is normal among most people. Your requirements are special and can not be a determinant to the normality of society. To demand society fit the abnormal is not simply absurd, it is ridiculous. If you have such problems with simple interactions as you describe, might I suggest a breathing mask to avoid such complications? This way, you as the "abnormal situation" avoids the complications of such abnormality though pre-planning, or do you expect everyone to act as if a rare abnormality may happen at every corner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:33 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,375,253 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
is this the passage? this is where you have to believe 1/2 of what you read. only a fool would think SHS & FHS are harmless just as it is only a fool who thinks walking by someone is gonna kill them or that sitting behind a BBQ doing up a couple of racks of ribs isn't also a risk at some level. there is a happy medium and in this case many people prefer to keep as far away from SHS as possible.
you say I am not responding to the logical merit of your argument? isn't the logical merit subjective as well? you have said the reports are exaggerated, others say they are on point. so how can me saying you can believe 1/2 of what the research says as a dismissal?

you don't have to reply we really are off topic

You are making a claim with no data to back it up. That is, if I say the PEL is a certain amount, the logical response would be "no, the PEL is not that, it is this..." and then we have an objection of facts. You however do not argue the facts, you simply pander on about what YOU think, and frankly, your personal opinion concerning factual content is absolutely worthless.

So, either you counter my mention with actual direct objections or you can ramble on like a typical internet wizard about how right you are by saying nothing more than telling everyone to accept your claim as valid.

That makes your position invalid, a waste of time, and a pointless venture.

Get it? Or do we expect another worthless claim of how correct your are without saying anything scientifically or factually valid simply because you happen to breathe air out of your mouth? Contrary to politically correct positions, air coming out of someones blow hole does not make that air valid.


But you go on and tell us how it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:35 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,375,253 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
hmm... i've been waiting for legislation saying you can't smoke around animals because that's cruelty to animals.
Wait for it... My bet is California will be working on that soon. After all, they are trying to make it manslaughter to smoke around anyone in public.

They really bring some reasonableness to the phrase "Too stupid to breathe".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
1,075 posts, read 819,020 times
Reputation: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Wait for it... My bet is California will be working on that soon. After all, they are trying to make it manslaughter to smoke around anyone in public.


wow! I hadn't heard that. Just another reason I am SOOOO glad we moved out of CA. Of course there's way too many of them moving to Vegas so we're becoming CA-light. blech! Will have to move to MT, WY or TX (if TX can keep the CA nuts from bombarding them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:48 PM
 
13,667 posts, read 14,536,595 times
Reputation: 11354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Wait for it... My bet is California will be working on that soon. After all, they are trying to make it manslaughter to smoke around anyone in public.

They really bring some reasonableness to the phrase "Too stupid to breathe".
really? have any links? I would love to see it, I can't seem to find any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 04:49 PM
 
13,072 posts, read 11,375,253 times
Reputation: 2608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post


wow! I hadn't heard that. Just another reason I am SOOOO glad we moved out of CA. Of course there's way too many of them moving to Vegas so we're becoming CA-light. blech! Will have to move to MT, WY or TX (if TX can keep the CA nuts from bombarding them).

Same here, I moved, the things I hear from my parents still there makes me cringe. I thought it was bad when I was there, but some of the things I hear makes me think that state is a different country altogether.

While moving will solve it for a bit, I am finding that stupid is contagious. Even here in Texas, we have a lot of the "start-up" garbage I saw in CA. Its only a matter of time before this state turns in to CA. People need to stand up, and they need to do so strongly otherwise the entire country will turn into nothing more than a fascist state driven by busy bodies trying to create their own personal paradise.

Funny thing is, these idiots will be surprised once they have achieved what they think they want as only those in political power or very close to it will be exempt from the rulings.

Some part of me wants to see that, just so these idiots can suffer the creation of their desire. I can handle (and fight) the pressure, I just want to see these morons get what they deserve to the "FULLEST" extent of their desire. They so VERY much need it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Twin Cities, MN
780 posts, read 456,954 times
Reputation: 220
Ohio Senate Considers Limiting Smoking In Cars | Ohio Votes

"Ohio's prohibitions on smoking would extend to cars with children younger than 6 on board, under an Ohio Senate bill that backers say would safeguard youngsters from the dangers of secondhand smoke and is similar to bans elsewhere."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,573,399 times
Reputation: 7720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
Not necessarily true, I had an asthma attack once because some smoker thought smoking oustside of my doctors office right next to the only door was perfectly fine, he even came inside to ***** at me because he was smoking outside and acted like I was being the jerk by coughing and needing to use my inhaler, I didn't even say one word to him either. I see this all the time where smokers smoke right in front of the doors of stores and businesses. If I see a group of people smoking I don't seek them out, smokers also need to think about where they light up.

View this from the smokers perspective. He has no way of knowing that you suffer from asthma or that his smoke will affect you. In fact, he has no way of knowing anything about anybody who passes by while he's smoking. Nobody wears a sign on their chest which says, "Asthmatic; please don't smoke."

Consequently, since he has no feasible way to determine who might, or might not, be acutely susceptible to smoke, what are the alternatives?

1. Ban smoking everywhere. There isn't a single, solitary place on earth where anyone can go and be assured that nobody else will come around. That's not practical either, is it?

2. YOU take the initiative to protect yourself by either informing the smoker in advance of your approach or take another route if possible, or simply hold your breath for the few seconds it will take to get past the smoker.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. Barring a complete, total, world-wide ban on smoking, there's no way to prevent contact with smokers so it seems to me that the only logical, reasonable response is to protect yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-03-2012, 05:09 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,078 posts, read 17,573,399 times
Reputation: 7720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Ohio Senate Considers Limiting Smoking In Cars | Ohio Votes

"Ohio's prohibitions on smoking would extend to cars with children younger than 6 on board, under an Ohio Senate bill that backers say would safeguard youngsters from the dangers of secondhand smoke and is similar to bans elsewhere."
Such a law must then be followed by a requirement that children carry some form of ID so the cop will know which one is, or is not, under the age of 6.

Incrementalism. Never forget that process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top