U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:10 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,760 posts, read 14,170,883 times
Reputation: 15943

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Obviously, smoking is well known to cause quite a few health problems and this information is well disseminated. In essence, nobody can claim ignorance to the detrimental effect of tobacco on humans. There also seems to be rather convincing evidence that smoking (even second-hand smoke) can and will adversely affect a child's development.
My health wasn't affected. All of my great-grandparents smoked and they all lived into their 90s, except one who died in a car accident.

What do you say about the Millions who smoke and never have health problems?

Doesn't your refusal to accept that as reality demonstrate ignorance on your part?

Are you aware of the undisputed fact that humans have always been prone to lung cancer, even centuries before America and the Tobacco plant were discovered?

Why would you ignore that?

Why would you ignore hundreds of texts and documents dating from as early as 5,000 BCE through the 1600s that accurately describe not only lung cancer (and breast cancer in women), but various medical treatments for it?

Bad science isn't science at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Some smokers on CD seem to argue that second-hand smoke has no adverse effects - but healthcare professionals seem to strongly contradict such assertions (as does common sense).

Any ideas?
Sure, ask my grandmother. Yes has 99 years and is an, um, "victim" of second-hand smoke from her husband of 71 years who died at age 87 of pancreatic cancer not related to smoking.

Ooops....

Mircea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:13 PM
 
13,793 posts, read 14,609,604 times
Reputation: 11475
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Some people will continue to deny the dangers of tobacco use and the dangers posed to others from second hand smoke. There is nothing I can do about that. I am on record saying that tobacco use is dangerous to the users and, in the instance where tobacco use results in smoke, dangerous to others.
pmommy you know that you and I never agree however you are 100% correct in this post. smoking is dangerous, the motivation behind much of the justification to lessen the problems associated with smoking is because people are addicted. not much of a reason else wise to blow off the harmful effects on ones health. are there smokers who smoke till they are 80 and not have problems? sure that doesn't mean that everyone will be so lucky. I hope every smoker who smokes a long life but for many that is not the case.

I am all for the freedom to smoke, you should be able to smoke in the open spaces I have no problem with at all. I do object to smokers who stubbornly refuse to believe that they are addicted, or that cigs are not good for your health, or who downplay the danger to their own health. they should not fool themselves.


smokers smoke because they are needing a fix and don't want to give it up. not because they don't know deep down it is harmful to their health, but because addiction makes them think they just "don't wanna quit". go ahead and smoke just don't feed into your junkie thinking so much that you actually think you are smoking out of personal choice and not addiction.

seems silly when one isn't addicted to nicotine why anyone who is would want to continue to suck tar and crap into their lungs, give big tobacco more money, allow themselves to smell and be tied to product that gives them nothing but a slight body buzz.

smoking plays mind games to otherwise rational thoughtful people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:15 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 9,025,640 times
Reputation: 2874
Consider you and your family blessed. Cigarette smoke is toxic. My mother died from lung cancer and my father died from complications of emphysema. My sister has COPD. She stopped smoking when she had to use oxygen. She has improved since quitting and does not use oxygen daily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
 
Location: Murika
2,526 posts, read 2,594,386 times
Reputation: 1919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
My health wasn't affected. All of my great-grandparents smoked and they all lived into their 90s, except one who died in a car accident.

What do you say about the Millions who smoke and never have health problems?

Doesn't your refusal to accept that as reality demonstrate ignorance on your part?

Are you aware of the undisputed fact that humans have always been prone to lung cancer, even centuries before America and the Tobacco plant were discovered?

Why would you ignore that?

Why would you ignore hundreds of texts and documents dating from as early as 5,000 BCE through the 1600s that accurately describe not only lung cancer (and breast cancer in women), but various medical treatments for it?

Bad science isn't science at all.



Sure, ask my grandmother. Yes has 99 years and is an, um, "victim" of second-hand smoke from her husband of 71 years who died at age 87 of pancreatic cancer not related to smoking.

Ooops....

Mircea
That's all nice and dandy, Mircea. Had you read the thread, you probably would not have asked me those questions.

Instead, you would have found out that I neither ignore "millions who smoke and never have health problems" nor anything else regarding this matter. You would have found out that I do, indeed, acknowledge that some may find research inconclusive, flawed, or incorrect. You would have also found that I have no problem with making the choice to smoke - even though I, personally, think it is a stupid choice.

Additionally, upon comprehension of this very thread, you might have found out that the question I posed was one of curiosity and not accusation.

Alas, I understand that you have anecdotal evidence - which, of course, means pretty much nothing. Everybody has anecdotal evidence regarding a thousand different arguments. So what - it's not the subject of my question.

Even if you don't believe that SHS is dangerous, you have to acknowledge that there is enough of a possibility that it just might be. You also might have to acknowledge that a child inhaling anything other than fresh air might pose a risk. Obviously, kids cannot avoid inhaling many toxins - still, SHS while confined in a closed car is certainly avoidable. So, then, with all your great anecdotal evidence and accusatory tone: Why would you expose a baby, toddler, or young child to it? Why not just wait a few minutes until you are all out of the car? Ah, I know: Addiction knows no boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:26 PM
 
13,793 posts, read 14,609,604 times
Reputation: 11475
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Consider you and your family blessed. Cigarette smoke is toxic. My mother died from lung cancer and my father died from complications of emphysema. My sister has COPD. She stopped smoking when she had to use oxygen. She has improved since quitting and does not use oxygen daily.
I do feel bad for smokers the addiction is nothing to brush off. it is most difficult to quit. a good example of how strong and how large a hold nicotine addiction has is the example you just sited about your sister. had COPD but still didn't quit till she needed oxygen. I saw an elderly man smoking with his oxygen tank right next to him. it ain't easy to give up, but it is doable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:30 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 9,025,640 times
Reputation: 2874
Studies have shown that it is easier to kick addiction to heroin than it is to tobacco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:32 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 9,025,640 times
Reputation: 2874
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
I do feel bad for smokers the addiction is nothing to brush off. it is most difficult to quit. a good example of how strong and how large a hold nicotine addiction has is the example you just sited about your sister. had COPD but still didn't quit till she needed oxygen. I saw an elderly man smoking with his oxygen tank right next to him. it ain't easy to give up, but it is doable
Yikes! That old man is a fiery explosion waiting to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
 
9,881 posts, read 9,025,640 times
Reputation: 2874
This is an old article but still very relevant.

NICOTINE - HARDER TO KICK...THAN HEROIN - NYTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:53 PM
 
Location: mancos
7,172 posts, read 6,453,816 times
Reputation: 4943
The gov should set up areas to give out free cigarettes and let smokers enjoy them like their free needle programs and all will be well. Plus the ability to collect SSDI for the rest of their lives. seems only fair as the precedent has been set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-04-2012, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Philadelphia
608 posts, read 505,274 times
Reputation: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Studies have shown that it is easier to kick addiction to heroin than it is to tobacco.
PM, since you seem to have totally ignored my detailed responses to you in posts 418, 419, and 420, I'm a bit hesitant to add another research burden to the load, but can you cite two or three such studies that are publicly available for examination and they you've felt were good? Or are you just going on the basis for things like news articles from 25 year old copies of the NY Times?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:00 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top