Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 07:43 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times

Advertisements

FYI Stillkit Asarco has been closed for some time now and I live at least 30 miles away from the closed site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 08:02 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
FYI Stillkit Asarco has been closed for some time now and I live at least 30 miles away from the closed site.
Yes, I know it's closed but can well remember the trail of visible pollution going for miles and miles, not to mention the nose-burning smell. And, it's only been fully closed for...what? 3 or 4 years?

In any case, I doubt living in The Pass is helping your bronchitis much, is it?

But, in spite of that, there are so many factors which can lead to chronic bronchitis that I can't imagine singling out one specific thing as THE cause. That's even true in Germany and Japan, depending upon where you lived. Industrial pollution, allergies and other things which can cause it are not unknown there either.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Yes, I know it's closed but can well remember the trail of visible pollution going for miles and miles, not to mention the nose-burning smell. And, it's only been fully closed for...what? 3 or 4 years?

But, in spite of that, there are so many factors which can lead to chronic bronchitis that I can't imagine singling out one specific thing as THE cause. That's even true in Germany and Japan, depending upon where you lived. Industrial pollution, allergies and other things which can cause it are not unknown there either.
My chronic bronchitis is from years of living with parents who lit up cigarettes before they put the last ones out. Not sure why that chaps your hide so much.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post

When was the last time you were in El Paso, TX?

Old 02-04-2012, 08:22 PM

The air in my childhood houses was filled with smoke and we travelled by car across country at least 3 times where my parents smoked non stop in the car.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:25 PM

608 posts, read 592,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
If you want to discredit my posts you can do your own research. I get a kick out of posters who think what someone posts is irrelevant unless they post proof. I don't play that game.
OK! No problem.

I followed your advice, did my own research, and determined that you have no solid studies to back you up that you could possibly defend. Nor, after a bit more research, was I able to find any specific, substantive criticisms or research contradicting any of the the evidence I offered disproving your earlier contentions.

In terms of being willing to post proof or evidence to back up what one types on internet boards, well, we simply disagree. I feel such a thing is *very* important if one wants to be taken seriously.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. McFadden View Post
OK! No problem.

I followed your advice, did my own research, and determined that you have no solid studies to back you up that you could possibly defend. Nor, after a bit more research, was I able to find any specific, substantive criticisms or research contradicting any of the the evidence I offered disproving your earlier contentions.

In terms of being willing to post proof or evidence to back up what one types on internet boards, well, we simply disagree. I feel such a thing is *very* important if one wants to be taken seriously.
Good for you. I am the one who lived my life in smoke filled evironments. If you don't take that seriously I couldn't care less.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:32 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,027,560 times
So here I am smoking a fine smoke that I grew,cured and cut and some nut thinks it caused their bad genes and all kinds of other health problems. Sorry but thats life. no one in my smoking family ever had these problems guess were lucky

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
So here I am smoking a fine smoke that I grew,cured and cut and some nut thinks it caused their bad genes and all kinds of other health problems. Sorry but thats life. no one in my smoking family ever had these problems guess were lucky
Addiction and denial go hand and hand.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:35 PM

608 posts, read 592,818 times
{Evidently the material at the top of this quote comes from Whipper, and the part after the <snip> comes from PM} [quote=pommysmommy;22849317]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

Ripped straight from the archives of "truth.org"

Rule of debate #1:

The person making the claim of positive, YOU, { i.e. SHS is unhealthy } has the burden of proof.

<snip> This is not a debate Skippy. This is a forum where people post their opinions.

Two points:

1) If you liked Truth.org, you should take a gander at TheTruthIsALie.com and see what you think.

2) If internet forums were simply places for people to post "opinions" then I'd spend very little time either reading them or posting to them. Why should I care about the "opinions" of random people who sit in front of their keyboards typing away at the world? Why would I care if they heard mine? I see the internet as a place where people can share information and debate issues on the basis of evidence, science, and logical argument -- with both sides having an equal shot at the microphone. Otherwise it'd be like listening to the Jerry Springer Show (which I have to endure on occasions when I visit the local laundromat... SHEEESH!)

Last edited by Michael J. McFadden; 02-04-2012 at 08:37 PM.. Reason: Added intro after seeing the formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies