Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What happened to Iceland is a good example..the other countries didn't care and let them fall.
Well, as long as the party lasted in Iceland, living with complete banking deregulation sure was a blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 10:39 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The Silent Anschluss: Germany Formally Requests That Greece Hand Over Its Fiscal Independence | ZeroHedge

The last time Germany tried to take over a country there was a world war

They should do so. Greece, Spain, Italy and Portugal are prime examples of the insanity created by liberal deficit spending policies. They bought the Keynesian model, hook, line and sinker, and are now paying the price.

Given the nice example shown by Southern Europe, it is amazing that liberals in the US pine for a similar economic disaster by promoting more and more deficit spending.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:44 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
What a ridiculous headline. All they are saying is if the Greeks want German money to be continued to be pumped into their bottomless pit of a budget they are going to have to allow some oversight.

Personally, I think the Germans should just pull out of the EU and let them fail and they'll be in the catbird seat anyway. All through hard work, smart money management and common sense.

But yeah, keep up with the stupid war jokes when in reality Germany is not anything that resembles the Third Reich. The US is much closer to that than they are.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
Greece has no fiscal independence left. That's what happens when you go that far into debt.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I feel awful for the Greek people.
I don't. Their fault for not demanding fiscal responsibility from their government.

Anyone who chooses debt over independence has nothing to complain about.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:37 AM

791 posts, read 460,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
i don't. Their fault for not demanding fiscal responsibility from their government.

anyone who chooses debt over independence has nothing to complain about.
^^^^this!!!^^^^

Old 01-28-2012, 11:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
If I were the Greek, I would leave all that crazy EU crap behind, declare all debt null and void, and focus on subsistence for the future. A country can still live without foreign capital, especially one blessed with that kind of climate and location. Sure, the standard of living will be lower, but the way things are now, life is already very hard on many Greeks and things will get worse.

The PIGS countries should form union of their own, outside the EU, Germany has much more to lose then they do as the Germans depend on their exports to Europe.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:09 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
If I were the Greek, I would leave all that crazy EU crap behind, declare all debt null and void, and focus on subsistence for the future. A country can still live without foreign capital, especially one blessed with that kind of climate and location. Sure, the standard of living will be lower, but the way things are now, life is already very hard on many Greeks and things will get worse.

The PIGS countries should form union of their own, outside the EU, Germany has much more to lose then they do as the Germans depend on their exports to Europe.
It's too late for them. They can't pull an "Iceland" at this point.
More than likely the banksters will move in and restructure their debt yet again and start cutting/slashing/removing jobs/pensions and raising fees and taxes.

IMHO Greece is the canary in the coal mine here and I'm keeping close tabs on what's happening via foreign news sites because our own MSM is just ignoring it.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:30 PM

266 posts, read 179,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

If the PIGS would form their union they couldn't leach off of Germany anymore. Germany doesn't need the PIGS. The second biggest importer of German goods and services is China. Europe needs Germany not the other way around. Germany is still paying their debts to Europe from WWII. The European Union is just another treaty of Versailles.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, as long as the party lasted in Iceland, living with complete banking deregulation sure was a blast.
But when the party was over, Iceland took their licking and dealt with the debt rather than go to the IMF for massive loans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies