Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:57 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverOne View Post
The Silent Anschluss: Germany Formally Requests That Greece Hand Over Its Fiscal Independence | ZeroHedge

The last time Germany tried to take over a country there was a world war
Considering they are living off of German money, I fail to see any problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 06:59 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,633,661 times
Exodus from the Eurozone Debt Crisis | ZeroHedge

Mass exodus from the Eruo countries by the skilled and trained says a lot, when a country starts to have a brain drain then it is on the way down as it is the PIIGS ( portugal, ireland, italy, greece and spain) are all in a world of hurt as the unemployment goes up.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:13 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Exodus from the Eurozone Debt Crisis | ZeroHedge

Mass exodus from the Eruo countries by the skilled and trained says a lot, when a country starts to have a brain drain then it is on the way down as it is the PIIGS ( portugal, ireland, italy, greece and spain) are all in a world of hurt as the unemployment goes up.
Indeed, drain brain is a huge global problem. I don't know how one could stop that, though. Those countries concerned should do more to retain those people, most of whom they spent a lot of money on before. But at least in the case of developing countries that might be almost impossible. Many Africans abroad send part of their salaries back home, further continuing the dependence cycle.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:18 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,785,978 times
World Blog - In Greece, the crisis is making people ill (literally)

Greece should leave the Eurozone since taking on more debt is not a solution that is realistic. The Greeks just cannot survive these austerity measures, there will be no political or public will to pull this off for the next year let alone the next DECADE! They will exhaust the bailout or the next five and will require constant infusions from Germany and the rest of the EU. It's an unsolvable problem, the only way out is EXIT.

Returning to the drachma while initially shocking will be best in the long term and is in Greece's best interests.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:48 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,416,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whateverhere View Post
If Greece wants to be sovereign again, it has to get it's financial house in order or leave the Eurozone. They had over 2 years to get their financial house in order, they didn't. If Greece doesn't leave the Eurozone at this point, it will be ruled by Germany, period.
Dads have been telling their kids "as long as you live under my roof and I'm paying the bills you'll follow my rules" for eons....

Old 02-10-2012, 05:52 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Dads have been telling their kids "as long as you live under my roof and I'm paying the bills you'll follow my rules" for eons....
The difference is it is OUR roof, the house belongs to all EU-citizens alike... It is not Germany's house.
And, what many ignore, Germany is just doing better than other countries, it is far from ideal, also has lots of debt etc.
All in all I guess the Netherlands is a better example for Portugal or Greece. Similar size, better feeling, more pragmatic, ...

Last edited by Neuling; 02-10-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 03-10-2012, 05:24 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Default Shhhhh....

Quote:
A panel of market participants ruled later in the day that the restructuring constitutes a credit event and would trigger insurance-like contracts that pay off if creditors suffer losses. On Friday, ratings firms Fitch and Moody's declared Greece in default.
Greek Default Contracts to Pay on Losses - WSJ.com

Old 03-10-2012, 05:38 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
The Silent Anschluss: Germany Formally Requests That Greece Hand Over Its Fiscal Independence | ZeroHedge

The last time Germany tried to take over a country there was a world war

maybe this will be the start of another world war.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:40 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
I feel awful for the Greek people.
You reap what you sow.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Well with the success of their default, um..I meant "credit event" there are now rumblings of a third, yes third bailout.

No investor in their right mind would be buying Greek paper. I can only assume here that it's governments buying their bonds and taking the losses.

Greece is 'likely to need third bail-out' - Telegraph
Even as ECB policymaker Ewald Nowotny hailed Greece's debt restructuring a "clear success", he today admitted a third aid package was a possibility.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies