Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 06:10 AM

25,630 posts, read 21,800,270 times

Advertisements

I saw this story come up yesterday on the Yahoo page and did a search and came up with this: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertai...gay-by-choice/ Cynthia Nixon considers herself gay by choice having been involved with both men and women in the past. She has upset the gay community with this and they seem to feel that she is wrong to have her own feelings and claim them in a public way since it works against their agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 06:25 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,320,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I saw this story come up yesterday on the Yahoo page and did a search and came up with this: Cynthia Nixon: Gay by Choice? - ABC News Cynthia Nixon considers herself gay by choice having been involved with both men and women in the past. She has upset the gay community with this and they seem to feel that she is wrong to have her own feelings and claim them in a public way since it works against their agenda.
No. She has admitted she is bi-sexual, not gay. She chooses to call herself gay because bi-sexuals "get no respect".

Her story is the very definition of bi-sexual, not homosexual.

It's the religious anti-gay crusaders who are trying to cherry pick and misuse what she says to try to push the "homosexuality is a choice" nonsense.

Read the full interview:

Cynthia Nixon on Bisexuality & Her New Role in

"I think for gay people who feel 100 percent gay, it doesn’t make any sense. And for straight people who feel 100 percent straight, it doesn’t make any sense. I don’t pull out the “bisexual” word because nobody likes the bisexuals. Everybody likes to dump on the bisexuals.

But it is the “B” in LGBT.

CN: I know. But we get no respect.

You just said “we,” so you must self-identify as one.

I just don’t like to pull out that word. But I do completely feel that when I was in relationships with men, I was in love and in lust with those men. And then I met Christine and I fell in love and lust with her. I am completely the same person and I was not walking around in some kind of fog. I just responded to the people in front of me the way I truly felt."

Last edited by Ceist; 01-28-2012 at 06:37 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 06:46 PM

20,899 posts, read 19,378,807 times
Here is the pertinent link: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/22/ma...3&pagewanted=3

She clearly states that gay people were criticizing her sexuality.

Which is kind of funny considering how defensive gay people are toward straight people.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,653,891 times
To answer your original question -
It sends the far-right anti-gay Christians over the moon, because if gays can 'choose' to be gay, they can be made to 'un-choose'... which means they were right; a lot of Christian proselytizing and a rubber band around their wrist to snap every time they have a gay inclination, and gays can be "cured". Poof, no more gays! oh, wait - no "poof", too gay - how about "taa-daa!" ?

Seriously, 'chooses' gay because 'nobody likes bi-sexuals'? So, what, everyone gives gay people hugs, teddy bears and warm blankies?

Seems to me like someone is more interested in how other people view her than in her own reality. I honestly don't understand why anyone, except someone desperately seeking attention, would make such a big deal out of it. Drama. Queen.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,509,832 times
Cynthia Nixon released a statement today:

Quote:
"While I don't often use the word, the technically precise term for my orientation is bisexual. I believe bisexuality is not a choice, it is a fact. What I have 'chosen' is to be in a gay relationship.

"As I said in the Times and will say again here, I do, however, believe that most members of our community — as well as the majority of heterosexuals — cannot and do not choose the gender of the persons with whom they seek to have intimate relationships because, unlike me, they are only attracted to one sex.
Cynthia Nixon: Being Bisexual "Is Not a Choice" | News | The Advocate

Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 AM

2,472 posts, read 3,186,414 times
It doesn't matter whether it is a choice or not. Not to mention that sexual orientation isn't on a three pronged scale. It's not straight, bi, or gay. Sexual preferences can move anywhere along that scale.

The only thing that doesn't change is that people are still humans that deserve the same rights as others. Beliefs are to be kept in the house, without affecting others. Simply being gay doesn't violate anyone's beliefs, no matter how ignorant or brainwashed they are.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:59 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,357,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
To answer your original question -
It sends the far-right anti-gay Christians over the moon, because if gays can 'choose' to be gay, they can be made to 'un-choose'... which means they were right
Only about it being a choice, not about it being wrong. I think that's the point of the question.

I agree with Aganusn. It makes no difference if someone chooses their sexuality. The only judgement that matters is harmfulness vs. benefit or neutrality.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,063,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
It doesn't matter whether it is a choice or not. Not to mention that sexual orientation isn't on a three pronged scale. It's not straight, bi, or gay. Sexual preferences can move anywhere along that scale.

The only thing that doesn't change is that people are still humans that deserve the same rights as others. Beliefs are to be kept in the house, without affecting others. Simply being gay doesn't violate anyone's beliefs, no matter how ignorant or brainwashed they are.
I also fail to see what difference there is--whether one is choosing to be X or born as X; they are still who they are. I happen to belive we are able to decide for ourselves who and what we are and that in now way trivializes our personality or lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies