Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Newt and Gingrich"?

I do know NEWT GINGRICH was a major player the last time we had a balanced budget.

Do you know of any dems who have a better record?
You're late. Someone else already called me out on my mistake, so maybe you should look for another one of my brain farts to belittle me over. I make plenty, so you shouldn't have any problems.

That said...to your question. Bill Clinton rings a bell.

But in any case, i already have a candidate that i'm voting for. His name is Barack Obama...perhaps you've heard of him. Yea...that dude. So don't put it on me, i'm out of this. My guy is already the president. It's the other side that needs to come up with a reasonable candidate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 12:50 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,047,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
You're late. Someone else already called me out on my mistake, so maybe you should look for another one of my brain farts to belittle me over. I make plenty, so you shouldn't have any problems.

But in any case, i already have a candidate that i'm voting for. His name is Barack Obama...perhaps you've heard of him. Yea...that dude. So don't put it on me, i'm out of this. My guy is already the president. It's the other side that needs to come up with a reasonable candidate.
So, his 3+ failed years hasn't changed your mind about him?

Old 01-28-2012, 12:51 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,492,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
So explain to me how four more years of Obama is beneficial to anyone?
How? Just think of the disaster it would have been to allow another GOP President and Congress to continue to destroy the middle-class and enrich the wealthy. The election of Obama allowed the national security of the nation to be protected. It's not really that difficult to understand.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:00 PM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Sure, the overall economic record of Obama is a disappointment, but i have to take in account what he inherited. I'm not blaming Bush, but it's not like things were so great before B.O. got there.

And there are more considerations than just the economy. Social issues, appointment of judges, hatred of unions, the military budget, and most importantly, the willingness to go to war with Iran by Republicans....that scares me more than anything else.

As to the survivability of the Republic, we'll be fine. Not buying into the hype.
I don't care what he inherited, HE SAID HE COULD FIX IT. And if he couldn't he would be gone.

I say we take him at his word:

"Obama in 2009: If I can’t fix the economy in three years, you can call me former President Obama"
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/obama-i...conomy-fire-me

Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So, his 3+ failed years hasn't changed your mind about him?
Failed is too strong. I would say mixed results leaning towards disappointment on the economy. But still, although i'm not blaming Bush, i do have to consider the environment that Obama was presented with upon his inaugeration.

But that's just the economy. There are other facets to being the president. I don't want more Scalia's and Thomases on the SCOTUS. I don't want a president that would be far more likely to go to war with Iran than Obama is. I don't want a president that would endorse keeping a high defense budget moreso than the present Administration. I don't want a president that would lower taxes on the wealthy while cutting entitlement spending. I don't want a president that would sign tougher abortion legislation or would intervene in a Terry Schiavo type case again. I don't want someone that would empower Senators that i don't like (if the Repubs win the Senate...a serious consideration). I don't want a union hating president. I don't want a president that would give even MORE consideration to cutting regulations on the banking and financial industries. Add Big Oil to that list. Romney and Gingrich would sign legislation that would be hostile to the environmentalists in favor of big business and polluters. Cut education funding...etc, etc...not to mention that i think Gingrich is hostile to African Americans and minorities in general.

It goes on and on. I can't vote for that.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I don't care what he inherited, HE SAID HE COULD FIX IT. And if he couldn't he would be gone.

I say we take him at his word:

"Obama in 2009: If I can’t fix the economy in three years, you can call me former President Obama"
http://www.ihatethemedia.com/obama-i...conomy-fire-me
Again, i'm not a masochist or a self flagellator. I'm not going to vote for a party that is hostile to African Americans or stands for everything i'm against.

Sure, Obama didn't get it done on the economy...ok. We've established that.

But i'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. That's stupid.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:

I am sorry you have inferiority complex. I was NOT belittling you. I made no comment about the obvious error.

I am glad you mention Clinton. Did any of his budget proposals get passed?

Was his proposal more or less then what was passed?

Who was the Speaker of the House ?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:11 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,329,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
For all those who are Obama supporters, let us suppose that you get your wish and Obama is re-elected. Obama has shown no efforts toward fiscal restraint and is projected to accumulate a debt total of $24 trillion by the end of a second term.

What happens then? The next president and the US inherit a debt that is 175% of GDP, there are few alternatives-

1. marked austerity measures in which entitlements are cut to the bare minimum. Who suffers the most? The poor and what remains of the middle class.

2. US default, which creates a global depression and negatively impacts EVERYONE. Who suffers the most? The poor and what remains of the middle class.

3. Hyperinflation and or further marked currency devaluation. All assets denominated in dollars are reduced in relative value, contributing to the further demise of the US economy.

So explain to me how four more years of Obama is beneficial to anyone?
We wouldn't be in so much debt if the people who profited most from this economy would be willing to put some of their winnings back in the pot. That seems to be one of the biggest problems.

Forty two million in income and accounts in the Caymans and only 15 percent of that income gets paid in taxes. Sorry, but it's kinda hard to argue against new taxes.

Old 01-28-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Again, i'm not a masochist or a self flagellator. I'm not going to vote for a party that is hostile to African Americans or stands for everything i'm against.

Sure, Obama didn't get it done on the economy...ok. We've established that.

But i'm not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. That's stupid.
You, and many more blacks need to get the race chip off your shoulder.

The repubs are NOT hostile to blacks.

Are you saying we SHOULD NOT take Obama at his word that he COULD fix the economy in 3 years? Why not?

Old 01-28-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
I am sorry you have inferiority complex. I was NOT belittling you. I made no comment about the obvious error.

I am glad you mention Clinton. Did any of his budget proposals get passed?

Was his proposal more or less then what was passed?

Who was the Speaker of the House ?
Inferiority complex? I was being self-deprecating if anything. So we're going to get personal now?

Clinton signed OBRA 93...and interestingly enough, Gingrich voted against it that year.

So..yea..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies