Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 AM

478 posts, read 959,479 times

Advertisements

Where is the USA on this chart? Are we too busy "exporting" democracy, resulting in a shortage here at home? And hell... how come we didn't attack Saudi Arabia - they supposedly represented a big chunk of the people involved in 9/11 - and they're looking like they are in desperate need of some good 'ol fashion democracy....

The US ranks 17th.

Damn... this is like inventing a sport and then soon enough getting your ass kicked at it. I think America needs a refresher course in Democracy 101. Certainly many scumbag politicians do.

The Economist Intelligence Unit’s Democracy index is based on five categories: electoral process and pluralism; civil liberties; the functioning of government; political participation; and political culture. The condition of having free and fair competitive elections, and satisfying related aspects of political freedom, is clearly the basic requirement of all definitions.

Democracy index | Liberty and justice for some | Economist.com

Last edited by Berkshires413; 09-04-2007 at 12:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2007, 12:10 AM

1,226 posts, read 3,645,019 times
This is a proud moment for us Swedes...Sigh

Old 09-04-2007, 12:14 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,459,448 times
Sweden and Iceland don't have to DEFEND THE FREE WORLD. You have to break some toothpicks out there to DEFEND THE FREE WORLD.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:01 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Sweden and Iceland don't have to DEFEND THE FREE WORLD. You have to break some toothpicks out there to DEFEND THE FREE WORLD.
Sadly, you're right. However, where is it written that the US is the world police? If we could only stick to our own Constitution, and mind our own business, I think we'd be at the top of the heap.

Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,210,109 times
I would imagine the political participation issue held our score down. But I think this is a wonderful place to live, even with our flaws.

If you look at competing military countries, I would hate to be in Russia, and their secret police run government. Fortunately for the Russians, the ineptitude of these folks allows some freedom to still exist. Despite Putin's efforts to terminate the Gorbachev advancements, they are still minimally able to have some democracy.

Iran didn't make the "least" list, which is a little surprising to me. I guess the Ayatollah run government, even selecting who can run for office, is considered somewhat democratic.

Oops - just read the article itself, participation was the holdback, otherwise we did great!!!

Old 09-04-2007, 01:52 PM

20,327 posts, read 19,912,706 times
It will be interesting to see where Venezuela ranks in a few years.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:57 PM

I'm wasn't surprised to see the Scandinavian countries at the top however, a couple of questions come to mind:

- Do they deal with a mix (i.e. melting pot , mosaic - take your pick of terms) of cultures like Canada or the U.S.? If not, I feel it would be easier to govern when one culture overwhelmingly dominates

- How easy it to emmigrate to the higher ranked contries?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:00 PM

110 posts, read 355,772 times
what gives with all these nerdoid countries claiming capo di tutti status? i sense conspiracy...

we break our backs for this?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
It will be interesting to see where Venezuela ranks in a few years.
Although right now it's sort of funny that "evil dictator-run totalitarian Venezuela" rates better than some of our awesome allies like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. I'm not saying things couldn't change, Hugo Chavez certainly wouldn't be the only person in the world to try to consolidate power in his office (I think we're already sort of familiar with that here, though...)

Old 09-04-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Although right now it's sort of funny that "evil dictator-run totalitarian Venezuela" rates better than some of our awesome allies like Pakistan and Saudi Arabia. I'm not saying things couldn't change, Hugo Chavez certainly wouldn't be the only person in the world to try to consolidate power in his office (I think we're already sort of familiar with that here, though...)
If I had to bet money, by Feb '09 Bush will not be office but Chavez will be long after that.

If what he wants to change about governing Venezuela is want his poulation wants, that's all that counts.

In my post, I wasn't thinking about Pakistan or Saudi Arabia as there were no surprises there. Only Venezuela.

I wasn't thinking about the U.S President or the morality of our so-called allies, come to think of it, either.

Last edited by doc1; 09-04-2007 at 04:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies