U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 PM

24,822 posts, read 28,747,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not in my world because marijuana would not exist.
Boy, my comment went RIGHT over your head - didn't it?

Let's try that again... if marijuana didn't exist for anyone, pizza and chocolate sales would drop, since it causes the munchies (often leading to pizza/chocolate cravings) for many. It was just a joke, but I guess your sense of humor is as dry as your stash box.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you are inclined to call pot the "step two" along the journey to hard drugs?
It was the third or fourth substance in my case, and actually the one I ENDED with eventually - so your premise is a fail, especially considering how many never try hard drugs after (or before) marijuana.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Look there is no way around it, marijuana is a gateway drug. You can pretend that it isn't but that's purely a matter of denial. The the argument that alcohol is a gateway drug doesn't exclude marijuana from being one as well.
Then I guess everything is a gateway, since there will always be something they tried first... cigarettes, alcohol, water, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches? Again, it's a ridiculous and illogical concepts, since the majority do NOT go on to do anything harder. Not to mention, there are even people who started with harder drugs. So how exactly is it a "gateway?" Please explain, and cite (reliable) sources if possible.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-29-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 01-29-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
And you know this how? Reason I ask is I smoke weed and know quite a few others that do also . None of what you mentioned is close to true with anyone I know.
Me either. I've been smoking pot for almost 20 years, and have never encountered a "PCP-laced" joint or anything of the sort. Besides, I usually purchase my own and smoke alone at home, so it's a rare occasion when I'm being handed something unknowingly.

Oh yeah, and this is another good argument FOR legalization... as there would be standards on the product sold, and you're more aware of its content from a dispensary vs street dealer. I'm a legal medical patient myself, only purchasing from the MMJ clubs, and their product is top-notch with strict quality control and no surprises. Can't say the same about a street dealer!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
For some, Tylenol #3 can be considered a gateway drug.
My friends and I used to pop Nutrins, since we discovered taking a certain amount would give you a slight buzz. I went on to experiment with harder stuff, whereas the rest of my friends mostly did not... so again, it's more about the individual than the first substance they try.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 PM

35,856 posts, read 12,984,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It was the third or fourth substance in my case, and actually the one I ENDED with eventually - so your premise is a fail, especially considering how many never try hard drugs after (or before) marijuana.
No one has suggested that everyone who tried pot, goes on to try hard drugs, but practically everyone who did try hard drugs, tried pot first.

It is what it is. I am not anti-pot, and have nothing against legislation for medical use. I don't protest against medical morphine either.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:50 PM

8,774 posts, read 6,787,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
You must read a lot of fiction.

Study says marijuana no gateway drug | ScienceBlog.com

With such reasoning, we could make the case that water is a gateway liquid to alcoholism. People must stop drinking all-together or risk mass inebriation.

Pot is nothing more than a gateway to twinkie abuse.
My state senator and police he consulted about marijuana say it should stay illegal, because it is a gateway drug. You can hear my state senator's response from this audio clip from a recent town hall meeting when asked about legalizing medical marijuana: http://okmedicalmarijuana.org/mjtownhall.m3u

Old 01-29-2012, 12:56 PM

8,774 posts, read 6,787,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Look there is no way around it, marijuana is a gateway drug. You can pretend that it isn't but that's purely a matter of denial. The the argument that alcohol is a gateway drug doesn't exclude marijuana from being one as well.
Still, it doesn't do much good to try to ban marijuana, because narcs will tell you they are only able to seize around 10% of the underground drug market. And banning marijuana has resulted in some kids saying it's easier to get than cigarettes and alcohol.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:58 PM

6,628 posts, read 5,855,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart23 View Post
So i had a huge discussion with a few members of my family the other night.. I won't voice my opinion because it seems a lot of people disagree with me but I want to know what others perspective or opinions on this are..

do you truly think that marijuana is a gateway drug.. or a drug period?
A large majority of drug addicts who use harder drugs like cocaine and heroin began using marijuana first. So yeah, I would say it's earned a name as a gateway drug.

I don't even know why people would use drugs in the first place.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 PM

35,856 posts, read 12,984,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
I don't even know why people would use drugs in the first place.
Some people have a desire to escape reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies