U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 AM

780 posts, read 458,494 times

Advertisements

Is alcohol a gateway drug?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:00 AM

10,452 posts, read 10,597,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
it can be, for some people, just like marijuana. both marijuana and alcohol can be gateway drugs, just like kissing can be a gateway to sex and being a hard worker can be a gateway to a promotion. all things in life can be a gateway, but just cause you engage in something to a certain degree doesn't guarantee you will engage in it to the fullest degree. in other words, every kiss doesn't lead to sex and every joint doesn't lead to crack cocaine.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 AM

17,497 posts, read 10,622,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
You need to read the entire thread, this has been addressed many times............

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

869 posts, read 934,550 times
I'm not reading 23 pages, when I already know the answer; There are no gateway drugs, it's a ploy to push "just say no", and to be used as fearful rheteric to push the agenda of 'all drugs are bad' - except the ones we can patent, prescribe, tax, control etc.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:26 PM

6,056 posts, read 3,087,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Todays pot is so strong it is not pot...it may as well be a substance in pure chemical form...I see young people - who can not go a day without it - it used to be a take it or leave it drug...I would say that the genetically altered pot is now a hard drug...and those that use it - are not above snorting a bit of coke - or poping a synthetic opiate.
It is stronger because it is NOT CONTROLLED as it should be!! Hello McFLy is anyone home???!!??!! They used to brew booze in bathtubs that killed people when alkeehol was illegal.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
You need to read the entire thread, this has been addressed many times............
I've read it.

Any intoxicating substance can be a gateway drug, should we ban them all?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
it can be, for some people, just like marijuana. both marijuana and alcohol can be gateway drugs, just like kissing can be a gateway to sex and being a hard worker can be a gateway to a promotion. all things in life can be a gateway, but just cause you engage in something to a certain degree doesn't guarantee you will engage in it to the fullest degree. in other words, every kiss doesn't lead to sex and every joint doesn't lead to crack cocaine.
Agreed. I think you and I are probably on the same page here.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:45 AM

14,379 posts, read 7,934,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
EVERYTHING in life IS a gateway to one thing, OR, another. It's all about the choices we make, for good or great, for bad or worse. If we aren't allowed to make such choices for ourselves, then we are nothing but children for the nanny state to control.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:16 AM

12,521 posts, read 23,050,100 times
Yes, Marijuana is a gateway drug just like alcohol & narcotics.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:40 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,814,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worrywart23 View Post
So i had a huge discussion with a few members of my family the other night.. I won't voice my opinion because it seems a lot of people disagree with me but I want to know what others perspective or opinions on this are..

do you truly think that marijuana is a gateway drug.. or a drug period?
Any means of evading reality can be used as a drug. Shopaholics, sexaholics, huffing spray paint cans, designer drugs, prescription drugs, sim games... there isn't much out there people haven't found a way to abuse.

That said, marijuana isn't a gateway drug. The addict personality's desire to evade reality is the gateway. If you're trying to teach your kids anything, help them to understand why spending their energy avoiding reality has a nasty habit of biting them in the butt. In it's extreme, it's a self inflicted form of slavery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies