Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All this sex education at earlier ages is good ? Physically they know all the details but are they mentally mature enough to understand the long term ramifications ?

Getting into the "pregnant page" of your high school yearbook should not be a goal for teenage girls.

41% of births in 2008 were to unmarried women compared to 28% in 1990.
The New Demography of American Motherhood - Pew Research Center

You just said a mouthful. How often do pre-teens and young teens think clearly long and hard about the long term ramifications of the teen girl getting pregnant.

Not very likely, and whether we want to admit to it or not, our young are understanding about sex, at earlier and earlier ages. Most are not mentally mature, but all they can think of is bedding down, with someone cute, or someone they have the hots for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
By age 14, most kids know more than you apparently realize... and if they're not finding graphic passages in a school book, they'll quickly find them online, in a public library book, or from talking to their peers. Nobody is being "robbed" of anything, as it's something they will seek and find themselves - usually in the early adolescent years.
And I see you are lumping again. But I don't expect much from people who live in a morally bankrupt area such as yourself. I have a teenager and adult children I know full well what they know and not I am in touch with my kids. It might just surprise you that not all kids are seeking out sexual anything.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:43 AM

30,299 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
And I see you are lumping again. But I don't expect much from people who live in a morally bankrupt area such as yourself. I have a teenager and adult children I know full well what they know and not I am in touch with my kids. It might just surprise you that not all kids are seeking out sexual anything.
Where did I say "ALL kids?" I actually said most along with usually, and you're in serious denial if you don't think that's true. MOST kids will eventually be thinking about sex, and USUALLY will seek that information (from any available source, including their parents) by early adolescence. As for California being "morally bankrupt," I hope you realize the teen pregnancy rates are higher in the Bible Belt... so apparently we're doing something right, LOL.

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...956645,00.html
"California, Hawaii and New Hampshire have been most successful in driving down their teen pregnancy rates, by 54%, 49% and 47%, respectively." D'oh!

Another link, which also has a full study (which I couldn't access because of an Adobe error): http://www.guttmacher.org/index.html
When I created a table for teen pregnancy rates by state, California ranked fairly low - especially in comparison to Texas & a few other southern states.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-30-2012 at 12:55 AM..

Old 01-30-2012, 01:04 AM

30,299 posts, read 51,908,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One has to tolerate that not all parents feel the same about sex content in books their kids read.

Everyone has different views. While you may not agree with them that doesn't make them wrong.
No, it doesn't make them "wrong" necessarily... but as you said yourself, EVERY parent has a different idea of what is appropriate. Hence, the permission slip which apparently this parent missed receiving for whatever reason.

The schools can't please every parent, so they have to use their best judgment (in terms of choosing materials) and keep the parents informed of the curriculum - which it seems this school was doing just fine. My parents would have been okay with the book, especially if it challenged my reading skills and critical thinking. Would it be fair to keep me from reading this book, simply because another parent found it objectionable? And if a parent found Shakespeare or Chaucer to be inappropriate, should they remove those from the reading list as well? This argument goes both ways.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:17 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Speaking of 'graphic content', I bet those parents wouldn't have a problem with a 14 year old reading the whole Bible.
The kid would fall asleep after "In the beginning...".

Old 01-30-2012, 06:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Agreed.

[the internet is way more graphic than any book you're going to read]
But my kids arent assigned to read this type of material on the internet. There is a difference between having reading material available and being assigned it.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:00 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
There is a huge difference in reading the bible and maybe finding a passage about sex and reading a teens' book talking about the same subject. Teens identify with the characters in the teen book.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
There is a huge difference in reading the bible and maybe finding a passage about sex and reading a teens' book talking about the same subject. Teens identify with the characters in the teen book.
Kids aren't supposed to identify with Jeebus?

Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,439,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Where did I say "ALL kids?" I actually said most along with usually, and you're in serious denial if you don't think that's true. MOST kids will eventually be thinking about sex, and USUALLY will seek that information (from any available source, including their parents) by early adolescence. As for California being "morally bankrupt," I hope you realize the teen pregnancy rates are higher in the Bible Belt... so apparently we're doing something right, LOL.

Report: Teen Pregnancy, Abortion Rates Rise in New Trend - TIME
"California, Hawaii and New Hampshire have been most successful in driving down their teen pregnancy rates, by 54%, 49% and 47%, respectively." D'oh!

Another link, which also has a full study (which I couldn't access because of an Adobe error): Guttmacher Institute: Home Page
When I created a table for teen pregnancy rates by state, California ranked fairly low - especially in comparison to Texas & a few other southern states.
Yeah they are not having abortions so of course it will be statistically higher for pregnancy.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Kids aren't supposed to identify with Jeebus?
Who is Jeebus? The character in the teen book?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies