Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2012, 12:54 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,385,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Uhhhh, you can't get pregnant from mutual masturbation, so it technically IS safer than birth control - try 0% percent chance of pregnancy, versus ~3-20% depending on the form of BC. That particular act (between couples) has long been suggested as an alternative to sex, which I'd think would make you happy... as it's actually a part of abstinence education, and nothing is safer than that! Or would you rather they have intercourse, and hope the birth control doesn't fail & is used properly?

Sounds like only ONE parent "raised heck about it," so it really couldn't have been all that graphic... if you'd carefully read the article, it states "The school district also said no other parents came forward with complaints." I haven't read that book yet myself, but we do carry it in the Young Adult section (at the library) where I work. And not only is it very popular, but it has received national awards, and zero complaints/challenges at our branch. As many of us suggested on a similar old thread, maybe you should read the book before passing judgment?
Not yet have the other parents come forward.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 01:01 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,743,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
It is not sex and the body it is the robbing of innocence what is left anyways and leaving kids to be kids for as long as possible.
Just because adults know about things does not mean all children know.
Funny how the libs are brushing a wide brush to say all kids know when they don't like the same brush stroke to lump them all together.
By age 14, most kids know more than you apparently realize... and if they're not finding graphic passages in a school book, they'll quickly find them online, in a public library book, or from talking to their peers. Nobody is being "robbed" of anything, as it's something they will seek and find themselves - usually in the early adolescent years.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,050,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Anybody who believes that a modern day 14 year old has not seen every sexual position imaginable on the internet is living in a dream world.

Where do these people come from? It's NOT 1950 anymore.
It wasn't 1950 in 1950. Mayberry never existed anywhere but on a studio set.
I'm truly convinced that most people in this nation have confused TV with reality.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:02 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,398,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
By age 14, most kids know more than you apparently realize... and if they're not finding graphic passages in a school book, they'll quickly find them online, in a public library book, or from talking to their peers. Nobody is being "robbed" of anything, as it's something they will seek and find themselves - usually in the early adolescent years.
Or they could do something even simpler - look at their naked bodies in the mirror.

[imagine that]

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Not yet have the other parents come forward.
This book was released in 2007, right around the time I began working as a public (and briefly high school) librarian... and this is the first I've heard of the title being challenged, so how much longer should I wait?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:04 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,415,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
Anybody who believes that a modern day 14 year old has not seen every sexual position imaginable on the internet is living in a dream world.

Where do these people come from? It's NOT 1950 anymore.
There really are parents that put safety locks on their computers and monitor what their kids are looking at.

All I know is 40 years ago there was not much teen pregnancies in school. We had maybe one girl drop out because she got pregnant. Now look at what is happening. The proof is in the pudding.

Call us prudes or sexually repressive but I will take that over what is going on now any time. Single mothers, kids growing up without fathers in the home and the family generally falling apart.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:05 AM

475 posts, read 504,749 times
The conservatives are on the attack again LOL !
What this girl can see in the internet is nothing compared to a book. C'mon, we dont live in 1940's anymore. This generation at the age of 12 know everything about sex.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:08 AM

I stand corrected... it actually did make the Challenged List in 2010, but that was only out of a total 348 official challenges nationwide. Not to mention, Brave New World, Twilight, and the "gay penguin book" also made the list that year. I've never personally heard anyone complain about Alexie's book, in fact it's been recommended to me by parents & teens more than once. Guess I should finally read it!

Top ten most frequently challenged books of 2010 | American Library Association

Old 01-29-2012, 01:11 AM

23,653 posts, read 17,415,097 times
Default I like her observations---

Anna McKenzie · Modesto Junior College
Anita Herron There are plenty of things that don't need to be gone into in detail and I believe that explicit sex is one of them. Since I am alot older than you, I was exposed to racism, poverty and violence, but I didn't have to see a person beaten to death to know that it was brutal. To this day I don't think that sexual intercourse is a spectator sport. We are humans and private. Sexual saturation of our entertainment hasn't done a whole lot for respect for women. If anything it has stimulated many people that don't have the ability or desire to control themselves. Children of that age know more than my generation every did, but they don't need a step by step guidebook

Old 01-29-2012, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Or they could do something even simpler - look at their naked bodies in the mirror.

[imagine that]
Touche...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies