U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 11:02 AM

4,365 posts, read 11,428,170 times

Advertisements

I live in Texas and I am a hunter. You would think that a state with so much land would offer a plenty of opportunities for it's residents. It simply does not. You can't hunt unless you pay for a lease and leases are not cheap. Landowners constantly complain about wild hogs and the damage they do. You would think they would welcome someone to come in and kill as many of them as they could. Instead they require you to pay $200 to hunt these vermin. It's there land and they can do whatever they want but please stop the whining. You don't have a problem if you want to charge people money to solve it. High fence hunting has always been a issue with Texas. The majority of land here is privately own and you have to pay to play. Do to the high demand we grow some of the biggest deer around. Some breeder bucks cost more than a new car. Things are getting out of control and there is nothing we can do about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 AM

9,833 posts, read 5,834,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Hmm..interesting thread and comments. I never did understand the whole hunting thing to begin with. Although i must say from what the OP described, doesn't seem to be much sport to it.

It's so much easier to just go to the grocery store and buy the meat that i want. Only equipment i need for that is my car and a debit card.
Venison is much healthier than beef. It is much more lean. Also hunting helps control the population of deer here in texas. Not to mention, it is a challenge. Wait... I guess going to wal mart IS more dangerous...

Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM

50,190 posts, read 26,579,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
Venison is much healthier than beef. It is much more lean. Also hunting helps control the population of deer here in texas. Not to mention, it is a challenge. Wait... I guess going to wal mart IS more dangerous...
I can buy venison...

And i can appreciate that hunting is also game control. Didn't say that it wasn't. Also didn't say that i had anything against hunting. I said that the situation that the OP described doesn't seem like much of a sport. Obviously, i'm not the only person in this thread that feels the same way.

Do i really care at the end of the day? Nope.

And where did i say that i was looking for a challenge? That's the whole point....I'm NOT looking for a challenge when it comes to my dinner plate. I don't want to hunt down my dinner when i can simply buy it.

I don't know what's so bad about that.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM

9,958 posts, read 7,582,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Also, the "if it is brown, it is down" attitudes are long gone.
Yep, to me hunting leases like the ones we're talking about create forced responsibility on the part of the hunters. If you know that shooting something is going to cost you $5K you're a little more careful about what you shoot at.

Who cares if some guy wants to drop $5K shooting a deer? I see it just like some guy dropping $50K on a sports car, it's not my money so it's none of my business what he does with it as long as it's legal.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:03 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,633,281 times
Quote:
I can buy venison...

And i can appreciate that hunting is also game control. Didn't say that it wasn't. Also didn't say that i had anything against hunting. I said that the situation that the OP described doesn't seem like much of a sport. Obviously, i'm not the only person in this thread that feels the same way.

Do i really care at the end of the day? Nope.

And where did i say that i was looking for a challenge? That's the whole point....I'm NOT looking for a challenge when it comes to my dinner plate. I don't want to hunt down my dinner when i can simply buy it.

I don't know what's so bad about that.
Probably, not grass fed and non-hormone injected. By the way elk is better!

At the end of the day, you should care, you are what you eat.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM

17,497 posts, read 10,633,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grainraiser View Post
I live in Texas and I am a hunter. You would think that a state with so much land would offer a plenty of opportunities for it's residents. It simply does not. You can't hunt unless you pay for a lease and leases are not cheap. Landowners constantly complain about wild hogs and the damage they do. You would think they would welcome someone to come in and kill as many of them as they could. Instead they require you to pay $200 to hunt these vermin. It's there land and they can do whatever they want but please stop the whining. You don't have a problem if you want to charge people money to solve it. High fence hunting has always been a issue with Texas. The majority of land here is privately own and you have to pay to play. Do to the high demand we grow some of the biggest deer around. Some breeder bucks cost more than a new car. Things are getting out of control and there is nothing we can do about it.
If the animals are a problem, that's different. If their raised to be hunted, that's not hunting.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM

1,708 posts, read 5,440,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
AHHHHH, arrogance at it's finest!
... and very proud of it.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:07 PM

66,329 posts, read 33,662,185 times
With my .308, @ 300 yards is just like going to the grocery store.
@400-500- yards for Elk.

Now with my Bow, it is up close and personal. Bow hunting is the only hunting I do, that really feels like hunting, and not just shooting something to eat.

If work is slow, I take the gun to make sure I get some meat. When work is booming I take the bow, and get away from the rat race, getting back to my roots.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:32 PM

6,868 posts, read 3,935,035 times
Quote:
Hmm..interesting thread and comments. I never did understand the whole hunting thing to begin with. Although i must say from what the OP described, doesn't seem to be much sport to it.

It's so much easier to just go to the grocery store and buy the meat that i want. Only equipment i need for that is my car and a debit card.
Hunting in a fenced in area is not hunting, no sport to it.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:47 PM

33,845 posts, read 41,977,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Hunting in a fenced in area is not hunting, no sport to it.

Maybe. Some of those compounds are thousands of acres with a variety of terrain. Many of them, even while supplying guides, still offer some pretty difficult hunting. And the hunter still has to make the shot.

Trail cameras have become pretty big nationally, allowing people to pattern game (mostly deer) and since most animals are creatures of habit setting up on a trail where your camera shows heavy use can up your odds.

Or, in my case, the scouting I do to pattern geese and the type of decoys I put out makes my likelihood of success higher. Well, most years. This year was crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies