U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 12:01 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,362,914 times

Advertisements

You know what..WE, the people voted the people in office who have put the US back to 1928 with a huge financial imbalance among people.

We did this to ourselves. The smart ones didn't count debt or paper values as being part of their wealth while Joe sixpack looked at his home as an ATM because the "value" kept going up.

When homes had value there was no complaining. But now that the middle class lost their ticket to wealth they start complaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:05 PM

13 posts, read 9,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
WHERE did I ever say such a thing?

You're the one who's alleged the investor pays a higher percentage with nothing offered as proof.

No what I have claimed is that unlike the original post the true greed is epitomized by those who feel they should be able to claim a higher percentage of income they themselves have not earned.
The tangent the discussion with you has taken is due to the points you introduced. If you would lime to revert to the original topic of greed I am more than willing to do so.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 11 days ago)

58,079 posts, read 40,863,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Hardly factual. The portrayal of 20th cent history is way off the mark. Just look at 'tax freedom day'--the Tax Foundation's measure of how much overall tax burden is imposed on Americans.
Tax Freedom Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In 1900: 5.9%
1920: 12.0%
1940: 17.9
1960 27.7
1980 30.4
2000 33.0

The portrayal of the US as oriented to big government for "much of the 20th Century," and to laissez-faire after 1980 or so, is absurd. We had small gov't in 1900, and unrelenting growth of gov't ever since. Reagan may have slowed down the growth but he certainly did not stop it
The 'Bama Bashers aren't going to like it if they look at the entire article

Old 01-29-2012, 12:09 PM

21,248 posts, read 19,244,927 times
Is it even possible these days for the average person not to be greedy without their modesty being misinterpreted by society as failure? And who wants to be considered a failure or instead have to explain themselves for not being greedy? In the West there seems to be little understanding for people who are not ambitious, greedy, etc.
Maybe people also just don't know anymore what level of material wealth is enough, always scared of the future, so they try to take as much as they can get to feel like being safe.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:12 PM
Status: "Elect a clown? Expect a circus!" (set 11 days ago)

58,079 posts, read 40,863,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietobserver View Post
No what I have claimed is that unlike the original post the true greed is epitomized by those who feel they should be able to claim a higher percentage of income they themselves have not earned.
The tangent the discussion with you has taken is due to the points you introduced. If you would lime to revert to the original topic of greed I am more than willing to do so.

Who are the 'those'/'they' you refer to?

BTW, I don't think I've changed the topic. I'll ask again: Both the miner and the investor take risks, why should either pay a different percentage on their earnings?

Old 01-29-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is it even possible these days for the average person not to be greedy without their modesty being misinterpreted by society as failure? And who wants to be considered a failure or instead have to explain themselves for not being greedy? In the West there seems to be little understanding for people who are not ambitious, greedy, etc.
Maybe people also just don't know anymore what level of material wealth is enough, always scared of the future, so they try to take as much as they can get to feel like being safe.
And the problem is that it is never enough. There's always that "one more year" to work. Downsizing is not an option. They listen to the talking heads that tell you you need 80% of your current salary to live on or that you need $5 million in your 401K so you don't end up destitute at 68.

But if you stop listening to the talking heads and define need vs want, really define it then you don't need all that much to lead a comfortable life.

"Less is more" is not tolerated well in the US.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Who are the 'those'/'they' you refer to?

BTW, I don't think I've changed the topic. I'll ask again: Both the miner and the investor take risks, why should either pay a different percentage on their earnings?
The investor already paid taxes on that money and is now using it to make more money.
If it's dividends then it's taxed as income. If he sells then it's capital gain/loss and he's taxed on the difference.

The miner is earning a salary which is taxed.

You'd have to take into account the taxes that investor paid when he earned that money initially. That would be extra money in his pocket. He could lock it up in a CD or invest in a mining company.

The miner has no choice..that is his salary.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:40 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,235,225 times
Quote:
The 'Bama Bashers aren't going to like it if they look at the entire article
I assume that is a reference to the decline in tax burden from 33% in 2000 to 26% in 2010. But that is misleading. The numbers I posted do not account for deficits, which, after all, are just a tax on the future. If deficits are factored in, the tax burden in 2010 was actually at an all time high. See flg. 1 at this link:
The Tax Foundation - America Celebrates Tax Freedom Day®

I had included a note about this in the post you quoted, but I edited it out for the sake of brevity. You're right the 'Bama Bashers' won't like it, but not in the sense you intended it (I'm guessing).

Old 01-29-2012, 02:33 PM

22,412 posts, read 11,545,407 times

Milton Friedman - Greed - YouTube

Greed is good until you ask government to steal from others and hand it to you.

Contrast Friedman's genial manner of making his points with those of the talking heads today on both the left and right and with most of us on this forum.

Old 01-29-2012, 02:50 PM

4,043 posts, read 2,997,119 times
To the OP, nothing is "selfish" about wanting lower tax rates. Our money is taxed everytime we do something new with it. This is far above and beyond what the original tax was supposed to be.

No, we are to pay to Caesar "what is his" in all honesty and anything more is us being robbed by Caesar, sort of thing.

Flat rate, 11 percent tax or soemthing and STOP OVERSPENDING. Period...so simple, but the libs are too liberal with money. They also buy votes with so many promises of freebies. Nuttin new there. They let the unions bankrupt corporations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies