Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 10:53 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
At least he's not wasting his time sexting/texting every freaking second of the day.

Implying...

Mircea

I didn't see anything in that article that implied that, one way or the other.
All I did get out of the piece is that the tight living conditions didn't bother them much when they were younger and more optimistic but they do do now.
Perhaps the point of the artile is that they didn't get as far as they thought they might have in achieving the 'American Dream'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:54 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
You don't have to be exceptionally smart to succeed in school. Just willing to work hard at it.

Many immigrants aren't any smarter than native-born Americans. Coming from a life of great poverty makes them grateful for what they have so when they get an opportunity to move up in life they don't take it for granted - unlike many native born youth who may have never known poverty in their life.
You're right, they work harder. They tested a group of Asians and American born for gifted capabilities and found that America actually had more. The difference is simply work ethic, that is why more Asians graduate from top U.S. colleges than American. It's just hard work plain and simple!
If you came home with less than an A to an Asian household you would not get away with it. You'd be working a lot harder after that believe me.
Good for them and anyone like them!

Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 AM

674 posts, read 698,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
The difference is simply work ethic, that is why more Asians graduate from top U.S. colleges than American. It's just hard work plain and simple!
If you came home with less than an A to an Asian household you would not get away with it. You'd be working a lot harder after that believe me.
Good for them and anyone like them!
Absolutely. Many Americans think you're either born with talent or you're not. They refuse to work hard because they don't think it will pay off. Most Chinese and Japanese simply don't believe that. They think you can work hard and persevere through virtually anything. Most immigrants also have that mindset which is why so many of us do well wherever we go.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:02 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats about 1/3rd the size of my bedroom which is 900 SF.
That's a big-arse bedroom! I grew up in a 6000sf home, so it's not like I've never been exposed to comfortable/spacious living. But dang. These days I live alone in a 710sf apartment, which is plenty of space for me... just a little crowded with my animals, which include a 40lb dog, 3 cats, 29 snakes, and a cage full of feeder rats. And a partridge in a pear tree, LOL.

As for the OP, of course the "American Dream" is possible if you have the brains and/or drive. My father came from a poor background, and worked his way to success with no assistance other than academic scholarships. Those with an average level of intelligence, talent, drive, etc, might not reach the highest level of achievements... but they can at least make themselves a comfortable life, and I don't fault them for using available sources (of assistance) along the way.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
My point is to show that despite the odds of you try hard you can succeed.

Last week I posted a story about a black mother who hauled her family from Kansas City to NYC so her kids could be rappers. They immediately were given a free apt and $800 in food stamps. Three of her 4 kids are adults and only one has a part time job. During the summer they blasted the AC and ran up a 500 ConEd bill. A charity paid.

I think these two stories show that the issues are not poverty but culture. One group works hard and stress education as a way to improve their lot. The other demands free stuff and lived for the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I thought the same thing and also wondered the same as below:

I think they are just a regular family. That is why this is a human interest story, it's purpose was just to show the glimpse of the lives of someone else, to show we are all the same.

I don't get where the OP is coming from in regards to the "American Dream" plenty of people grew up poor or in poverty and become successful or at least attain a middle class income. I was the same as a child.

I also don't see what the mom now working has to do with anything either. Most mom's work now a days.

Just don't understand the pupose of the post actually. If it is just to show that all of us humans share more common values than not, then that would be okay, but it seems like the post was meant to divide or show that this family is better than another and I just don't get that from the piece.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:41 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
Sorry i'm not sure the point of the article. Are we suppose to be impressed or feel bad for this family?

They chose to live in NYC and in these conditions. The father can pack up the family and move to North Dakota today and get a job at Mcdonalds paying $20 an hour with a $300 dollar signing bonus.
Most likely they went to NYC as there is a large Chinese community in NYC that they can be part of and may have helped them when they arrived in the USA. Is there any Chinese community in North Dakota that could help them get started there?

Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Twice as many people per capita commit suicide in China compared to the US.

Just saying..

List of countries by suicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies