Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 09:10 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,354 times

Advertisements

I am from the UK and live here in the USA. Although there are problems with the National Health Service in the UK, I would take it any day over the nightmare healthcare is here in the US. I have come across so many people with horror stories about the healthcare system here.

A woman I worked with had treatment for cancer. She worked as a waitress and the place she worked at did not provide insurance. She told me she was paying $50 per paycheck for the rest of her life as she had racked up over $200,000 of treatment costs.

A husband and wife ran a small store in my town and she informed me that they both had serious health issues. She said that they basically ran the store to pay their overheads and their health insurance which for them as a self-employed couple amounted to around $27,000 per year. She told me that the stress and worry about health costs had contributed to her bad health.

My stepson is covered on his fathers insurance. About a year after he had had some treatment for an injury to his hand, his mother and I received a bill of $1000 because his father was refusing to pay and as next of kin, his mother had become liable!

I also find the lack of compassion or kindness among many right wing minded people a strange disconnect from the fact that many of them are Christians, supposedly following Christ and his model.
I am sure there were some freeloaders at the feeding of the 5000 or the Sermon on the Mount, but did Christ means test them, or did he care for the poor without judgment?

In what is supposed to be the most civilized country in the world, I believe in this 21st century that each citizen should have the right to education and healthcare. America's healthcare may be the best in the world but thats of no use if people cant or wont access it because of the fear of losing everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM

2,287 posts, read 2,586,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
I stand corrected... It has been a decade since I was in the medical field. The density here (over 17 in a 15-mile radius) however indicates the intensity of medical device availability. Also the ratio of MRI machines (w.r.t population) is about 4 times that in the US compared to CN.
What does China have to do with this discussion?

Old 01-31-2012, 11:41 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,922,737 times
My SO's mother is British. Retired. An inveterate traveler. She can get health insurance to go to any country in the world, except the U.S. Why? Because she has had a heart attack in the past. Well... that's not quite true, there are companies that will underwrite a trip to the U.S. for her @ $1000 for two weeks. Next year she turns 75 and at that point no affordable insurance options for travel to the U.S. (everywhere else is no problem) will be possible. I'll ask again, is this defensible?

H

Old 02-01-2012, 05:45 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,444,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by revrandy View Post
What does China have to do with this discussion?
--------------------------------------------------------------------

For those with impaired interpretation capabilities, things called typographical errors exist. Of course I meant CA.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:05 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,586,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Healthcare bills aren't allowed to be deducted from ones pay checks.
No, they are sent to collection, and if you keep fighting, they get their money through the courts. Why do you think medical bills is #1 reason for personal bankruptcy in US. And most the people going broke had insurance.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
It's a good thing she didn't go to the emergency room at a Canadian hospital...she could have died.
She did die, - in Utah.

She would have died in any country as there was nothing to be done. The discussion is not about her chances of survival, but about the bill.

Old 02-01-2012, 06:30 AM

913 posts, read 872,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
U.S. News - Iconic skier's death points out U.S. health gap

By Kari Huus, msnbc.com
Since the death of Canadian skier Sarah Burke in January, fans and supporters from around the world have donated over $300,000 – more than enough to cover the massive U.S. medical bill generated by efforts to save her.

Moderator cut: can only quote 1-2 sentences and provide link
you either understand freedom or you don't:

Tea Party: Let Uninsured Die - YouTube

Old 02-01-2012, 06:36 AM

913 posts, read 872,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
it costs that because the govt started to interfere in healthcare

Old 02-01-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
She did, but her insurance company declined the claim because they say the event she entered didn't meet their criteria for a sanctioned event whatever that means. Still, the (international) incident raises a salient point. As has been said, most countries and that includes First World countries with kick ass medical facilities, don't generate half million dollar bills for a short stay. Especially when they lose the patient. Come on... how can this be defended?

H
So, she did have insurance?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
it costs that because the govt started to interfere in healthcare
There is more to it than that, because most countries have far more government involvement, yet only half the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies