Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 06:04 PM

606 posts, read 354,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Was in the post office the other day and the mail lady said, 7 and 8 year olds come in and interpret for their parents all the time, some have no intention of learning the English language. Seems it's more Spanish speaking people who are refusing to learn the English language.

When my son was in school, 5th grade, he and a mexican child got into an argument, the mexican child called my son a "cracker", my son called him a "beaner." The child ran and told the teacher he was called a "beaner." My son got detention for the whole day. The reason the teacher and principal gave, was my son knew better and the mexican child didn't. Yeah right!!
Well, that's just stupid. They were both wrong, and both should've been placed in detention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 06:12 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I can understand what your saying, and where your coming from, to a point. I taught myself Italian, from online sites, and tell ya if i can teach msyelf to speak Italian, from online sites, people can learn to speak English. And i speak my ancestors language pretty dang good. From online and people who have lived here all their life, cannot find it in themselves to learn English, do not buy it.

You tell me what is the problem with those retaining to speak their native language, but also learning English, in a Country they now live and breathe in.. Not one friggin thing.
I'm assuming you grew up here, being a product of our good (in comparison to less fortunate countries) educational system, and at least finished high school - right? If so, it's understandable that learning Italian online was "no big deal," but it's a much bigger deal/struggle for those who weren't so lucky.

Example: I used to live with a woman from El Salvador, who only completed the equivalent of about 3rd grade, because she had to help raise her siblings when her mother died... then their Civil War broke out, their home was destroyed, and she eventually fled (with amnesty) to the US to escape the war. Due to her lack of education in her OWN language, learning English has always been a major obstacle for her - it's been over 20 years now, and she still speaks/reads English at a rudimentary level, at best. So yeah, it's not so easy for people like her, and that is a very common story with immigrants from these countries. Don't judge a situation, until you know their background!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:17 PM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It sure don't sound like it. Six pages of tears over the words of a 14 year old kid.
There are no tears involved in rejecting your type of mental illness. And that is what it is when you insist that Up is actually Down. Rejecting such nonsense just demonstrates good sense.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Do you all have hispanic friends? I do. Most hispanic immigrants quickly learn english. Most of their children are bilingual and most of their grandkids speak english only.

It is massive hispanic immigration that gives the false impression hispanics are not assimilating.

The big problem is most of 'em vote Democratic. That is a good enough reason to deport them.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Bingo, you win this post. Thanks for noticing this too. If people are going to live in this Country, then why not learn at least the basics of english. And when the women knows that she is pregnant, why not learn English, you can still speak your native language, but why not English, in the Country you now live in.
Save it, there are no excues why at all, why someone would not learn the langugage of the Country they live in. Nothing but being lazy as i see it.
Or having little or no respect for America, the Country you now live in.
Perhaps you should start by learning the basics of English yourself? Based on the above post, it looks like you need it!

Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
honestly i find it more sad that she hangs her whole identity on the language she's speaking.
Seems to be an issue with many of the English-speaking Americans on this board too...

Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Not surprising. There's an innate hatred for legal and illegal immigration in many American's, and it's not always about breaking the law. It's also about knowing that the people who come to our country have no respect for our culture, nor any plans to actually assimmilate. The fact that it makes her feel like a "gringa" is enough motive for me to want deport her ass in 0.1 seconds.

Liberals are always wanting proof of the systemic destruction of our country: WELL HERE IT IS.
You know what will "systemically destroy our nation?" Racism and bigotry. Diversity improves our nation, while bigotry keeps us locked in the dark ages. America is, and always has been, a multiracial, multilingual, and multicultural nation, and it will remain that way whether some neo-fascists like it or not.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:15 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,527,793 times
Yes, assimilate if you have come here legally, or don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!

Old 01-31-2012, 08:06 PM

2,615 posts, read 5,397,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yes, assimilate if you have come here legally, or don't let the door hit ya where the Good Lord split ya!
Assimilate, assimilate, assimilate. You sound like the Borg.

It takes any immigrant group at least 3 generations to assimilate. It doesn't happen overnight. I have not met a person from Latin America who isn't at least bilingual, which is more than I can say for many Americans and British people for that matter. Americans and British people do such a wonderful job 'assimilating' when abroad.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:20 PM

521 posts, read 466,854 times
Should Americans have to learn to speak Spanish or should Mexicans have to learn English?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies