Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 08:22 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,179,026 times

Advertisements

The wonderful thing about this is that even though *she* feels bad about speaking English, we are in no way obligated to respond to her in Spanish.

Hope the next person she asks for help speaks Arabic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 08:23 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Seems to be an issue with many of the English-speaking Americans on this board too...
definitely. i by no means meant to imply it was only her doing that.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,439,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It'a actually "Gringo"
It was a term that was used for Americans when the brave fighters at the Alamo sang "green grow the rushes o"
Not derogatory at all and if anyone thinks it is and it makes them feel bad, then they are very sad individuals.
English is the language of America because the early settlers who made the constitution were British. The language of America could quite easily have been Spanish or even French but it is English.
All Countries now have people living there who have a different language as their 'home" language as immigration is a common thing today but English is America's language and not sure why we have to be told this as if it is under threat or needs to be clarified...... maybe for votes.
spanish 101 will teach you that the -o ending refers to the male gender and the -a ending refers to the female gender.

americano/americana
latino/latina
gringo/gringa

of course it gets a little more complicated than that, but -o = masculine, -a = feminine is a good rule of thumb for beginners.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:29 PM

14,941 posts, read 8,555,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar22 View Post
You know what will "systemically destroy our nation?" Racism and bigotry. Diversity improves our nation, while bigotry keeps us locked in the dark ages. America is, and always has been, a multiracial, multilingual, and multicultural nation, and it will remain that way whether some neo-fascists like it or not.
BS... the greatest fraud in all of history ...the value of cultural diversity is pure unadulterated hogwash. The roots of this nation were established by those coming here embracing the existing culture, and assimilating. Not today's situation of cultures wanting to supplant the existing one.

Throughout human history, people have allied themselves in families, clans, tribes, cooperatives, communities, and nation states ... all based on common elements shared, be it blood relations, cultural practices, religious beliefs, common language, appearance, behavior, etc. And one of the most common characteristics of these allied groupings of individuals is their universal response in defending their group from outside threats attempting to weaken or usurp their sovereignty and power and intrude or take possession of their resources and encroach upon their claimed territorial areas. This is natural human behavior, as old as man himself.

Next, we find another common characteristic ... the expansion of the group, and the efforts to grow and secure their place and dominance over the areas they claim as belonging to them. And, endless conflicts and wars have resulted when one group decides to expand and take over the territories and resources of another group... with peace being achieved only when competing groups agree to respect one another's territorial boundaries.

This is why cultural diversity most often leads directly to conflict, as each culture behaves in the very natural manner of seeking dominance. Mixing competing cultures in the confines of the same territorial space can lead to no other outcome than conflict, as each strive to attain advantage, and a position of superiority over the other ... not so much out of hatred of the other, but out of the drive for their own security and prosperity.

There is no sure fire better way to create conflict within any society than to convince them to embrace the "value" of outside cultures coming in which will ultimately compete with them as they will inevitably seek to attain a position of cultural dominance at their first opportunity.

It's happened over and over again, throughout time. And only those who wish to lose their culture, or be forced to fight for it, should buy into such nonsense, as that is the choice they will have to confront. The only way to avoid that conflict is to insist that new comers wishing to join the tribe, respect the laws, and customs and values of the tribe ....otherwise, stay out.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:38 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nap1313 View Post
California Jewel, I'm not disagreeing. The girl already speaks English.

As for the parents, there were plenty of first generation European immigrants who came here, lived in ethnic enclaves, and barely spoke more than a few words of English. It doesn't mean that their children didn't learn English.

Immigration patterns have a lot to do with assimilation. First generation immigrants are a toss up. Some of them learn English quite well, and yet others never really get it. However, their children WILL learn it, and in most cases will end up preferring English.

I work with TONS Mexican-American teenagers whose parents speak little to no English. And lo and behold, the kids ALWAYS speak in English to each other. Spanish is heard very rarely among their own conversations, even though they could choose to speak in Spanish if they wished.

With time, immigrants assimilate. There are various waves of immigrants and people like to place them all in one block. A Mexican - American that immigrated to the US fifty years ago is going to look a lot different than a Mexican - American family that immigrated last year. As old immigrants assimilate, new ones come over, giving the impression that no immigrants are assimilating at all. This is where all the fear/outrage comes from, and it's false.
This is true. I've told this before - my husband is a second generation American. His Polish grandparents barely spoke a few words of English (but understood it well enough), his parents speak both Polish and English, and he speaks English, but knows a few words of Polish. It works that way with most immigrant families, regardless of their native tongue.

I don't know why people get so het up about it.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:39 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,164,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Isn't gringa a derogatory word?

This is encouraging non assimilation at our tax dollar expense.
Why come to the USA if you don't love American heritage & culture?
Which heritage and what culture? The mexicans and central american immigrants have a functioning culture. That's more than I can say about white liberal's secular humanistic culture.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
It'a actually "Gringo"
It was a term that was used for Americans when the brave fighters at the Alamo sang "green grow the rushes o"
Not derogatory at all and if anyone thinks it is and it makes them feel bad, then they are very sad individuals.
And tell us ... what happened to the old "Gringo" at the famous "Alamo" geeoro?

They were freaking massacred.

But if you prefer to live in 1984, where Gringo is considered a term of endearment ... you're in the right place it seems, as the lunatic left has the entire world standing on it's flipping head.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:47 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,164,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
This is true. I've told this before - my husband is a second generation American. His Polish grandparents barely spoke a few words of English (but understood it well enough), his parents speak both Polish and English, and he speaks English, but knows a few words of Polish. It works that way with most immigrant families, regardless of their native tongue.

I don't know why people get so het up about it.
I'm guessing your in-laws weren't busy claiming america for poland. Today's mexican immigrants are all about reconquista. Many, maybe most, aren't interested in "assimilating." I'm not sure I blame them. White liberal secular humanistic culture is something of a death cult. Their support for abortion has meant the death of some 50 million of our own children. Hense, 50 million immigrants most of them from mexico and central america. Imagine that.

http://www.geaugaconstitutionalcounc...exicans_00.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-01-2012 at 10:22 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 08:50 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,262,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I'm guessing your in-laws weren't busy claiming america for poland. Today's mexican immigrants are all about reconquista. Many, maybe most, aren't interested in "assimilating." I'm not sure I blame them. White liberal secular humanistic culture is something of a death cult. Their support for abortion has meant the death of some 50 million of our own children. Hense, 50 million immigrants most of them from mexico and central america. Imagine that.
Well, I doubt they were trying to take over; they were here looking for jobs and trying to keep from being cannon fodder in WWI. Survival, stuff like that.

I live in Tucson, and I have to say, I see little of the attitude displayed in that photo. Yes, this was originally Mexico, but Tucson is not hostile to Mexicans/Latinos, so they are not hostile in return. Not that it doesn't happen, and there is always a minority espousing an extreme view (especially situationally), but I don't see it as a regular thing here.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
These groups are tools for the continued assault on American society that was once proud, moral, decent, and hard working, who built that great nation that everyone from around the world wanted to join.

Then, we had the liberal progressive movement, and no group ever assembled can match the progressives in their inane nature that enthusiastically embraces any cause or action that can be seen as self defeating or personally destructive.

They are literally like a pathogenic virus that kills the host even though that ultimately leads to their own demise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies