Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 AM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
That's like asking "Are fat people fat because thin people are thin?"
Not it isn't. Not a good analogy. Horrible actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 11:42 AM

281 posts, read 256,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Exactly how does ones wealth have anything to do with another being poor?
About as much as a skinny person is skinny because a fat person is fat.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:53 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It doesn't. Not in the least. To hear liberals talk, you'd think there's a finite number of dollars floating around and the rich people have monopolized those dollars.

Equality of Opportunity....we can all support it. What we (I) can't support is Equality of Outcome, as if the money i've earned through blood, sweat, and tears should be handed to those who aren't successful. It's Un-American.
That's the problem because I don't think that is the case for various reasons. In the US more than in many other Western countries your chances in life depend on the family/environment you are born into. Sure, there are people who make it from the bottom to the top, but statistically they are the exception.

Wealth/money is limited, naturally the more of it there is in the hands of some members of society, the more scarce it is in the hands of the rest. The economy ain't the miracle of the loaves and fishes There is only so much demand, thus only so much supply, thus only so much work etc.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
YEP, we're staying in hotel on the estate but who know, maybe you'll be waiting on us somewhere.
Don't flatter yourself. I'm off Hendersonville Road near the Parkway.

The Biltmore is a nice place to be staying. You can surely see the irony of complaining about rich people while staying there.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,450,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
You have been around the block. Okay that proves nothing. Show me the evidence that poor choose to be that way and that they could get out of poverty because stating your opinion does not make it an fact.
Quote:
Brookings whittled down a lot of analysis into three simple rules. You can avoid poverty by:
1. Graduating from high school.
2. Waiting to get married until after 21 and do not have children till after being married.
3. Having a full-time job.
If you do all those three things, your chance of falling into poverty is just 2 percent. Meanwhile, you’ll have a 74 percent chance of being in the middle class.
Three rules for staying out of poverty | jacksonville.com
Quote:

Advocates for the poor have too long argued that welfare was the solution to poverty. Yet most evidence points in a different direction. The reform of welfare in 1996 has had far more positive effects on employment, earnings, and poverty rates than almost anyone anticipated. The data summarized in this brief suggest this is because work is a powerful antidote to poverty and that, in its absence, no politically feasible amount of welfare can fill the gap as effectively.

The short-term implication of this finding is that fiscally strapped states need help if they are to continue to fund programs that move welfare recipients into the work force and keep them there in a softer economy. The longer-term implication is that steps should be taken to move the entire system of benefits targeted to lower-income Americans more toward encouraging work and marriage and less toward providing unconditional assistance to those who do not work and who bear children outside of marriage.
http://www.brookings.edu/papers/2003...s_haskins.aspx

Quote:
There is no dispute that marriage has declined more among the poor and minorities than among the middle class - and that nonmarital births, now the major cause of single-parent families, are rampant among minority groups. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, children living in single-parent families are about five times as likely to live in poverty. There’s also a high probability they’ll drop out of school, get arrested, be involved in teen pregnancy themselves, have more mental health problems, and be less likely to be employed or in school as young adults. Indeed, parents themselves are physically and psychologically better off when married than single.
http://www.brookings.edu/opinions/20...e_haskins.aspx

Last edited by BigJon3475; 02-06-2012 at 02:09 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 05:32 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame Angel View Post
About as much as a skinny person is skinny because a fat person is fat.
It would be a fitting analogy if the fat person was eating most of the available food.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:28 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,397,554 times
Are the ignorant ignorant because they misspell the word "becuase"

Old 02-06-2012, 06:53 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
Are the ignorant ignorant because they misspell the word "becuase"
and even more ignorant because they won't/can't use spell check.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 PM

1,787 posts, read 3,848,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
Nice generalization! I guess you know every poor person to know what decisions no then you should be smarter then making an generalization about nothing you know about. Where does it say min is not supposed to be a living wage? Show me where it is written. It is the same old weak arguments.
I know plenty of them. I've been poor most my adult life. I was one of those that did not excel in school. I've worked four jobs at a time to survive. That's the difference between me and people that choose to stay poor. I was willing to WORK. I was able to take a few college classes. Eventually I landed the job I have now. I've been there near 12 years. There is no excuse for being poor in this country, but this country isn't going to fix your poverty. You have to do that for yourself by bettering yourself to earn a living wage, not an entry level wage.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chele123 View Post
I know plenty of them. I've been poor most my adult life. I was one of those that did not excel in school. I've worked four jobs at a time to survive. That's the difference between me and people that choose to stay poor. I was willing to WORK. I was able to take a few college classes. Eventually I landed the job I have now. I've been there near 12 years. There is no excuse for being poor in this country, but this country isn't going to fix your poverty. You have to do that for yourself by bettering yourself to earn a living wage, not an entry level wage.
As David Brooks writes in the Times today:

Quote:
The essential truth about poverty is that we will never fully understand what causes it. There are a million factors that contribute to poverty, and they interact in a zillion ways.

Some of the factors are economic: the shortage of low-skill, entry-level jobs. Some of the factors are historical: the legacy of racism. Some of the factors are familial: the breakdown in early attachments between infants and caregivers and the cognitive problems that often result from that. Some of them are social: the shortage of healthy role models and mentors.

The list of factors that contribute to poverty could go on and on, and the interactions between them are infinite. Therefore, there is no single magic lever to pull to significantly reduce poverty. The only thing to do is change the whole ecosystem.
Thus, to identify a single cause means that one is definitely wrong. If you think it is simple, you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies