Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times

Advertisements

Just how many "living wage" jobs are actually available within realistic travel range of the poor? What investment there is locates in suburban industrial parks not in urban abandoned factories or rural hamlets. So how are the poor supposed to get to these places to even interview let alone work?

Now supposing an urban person figures out how to reverse commute to a suburban job. Will the mass transit line continue to operate as the struggling urban government cuts spending? Will the clunker car the rural poor can afford so he can still live in the affordable hamlet keep operating? Will his hamlet keep functioning after he and many of his peers move closer to the suburban industries to work? Most importantly what will happen to these people after Bain Capital comes along and loots the company and closes the doors forever?

This is how the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor. These questions do not have positive answers. The system is rigged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:35 PM

3,010 posts, read 2,263,651 times

There are plenty of people who have followed those 3 rules and are still in poverty. Just because you have a full time job does not mean it pays enough to live on.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:39 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,442,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It doesn't. Not in the least. To hear liberals talk, you'd think there's a finite number of dollars floating around and the rich people have monopolized those dollars.

Equality of Opportunity....we can all support it. What we (I) can't support is Equality of Outcome, as if the money i've earned through blood, sweat, and tears should be handed to those who aren't successful. It's Un-American.

Reagan--No Loopholes For Millionaires - YouTube

Old 02-08-2012, 06:13 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,992,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
That's not my argument, because that's not what the OP asked. He asked if the rich exist because of the poor, and the answer is, without a doubt, yes.
Then explain to me how Ford was able to double his employees salaries, while making himself one of the richest individuals in the world.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
There are plenty of people who have followed those 3 rules and are still in poverty. Just because you have a full time job does not mean it pays enough to live on.
Whose fault is it if you dont find a different full time job that pays more?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
See? This is the perfect example of the ignorance of America. I just gave a great example of how HARD it is being poor, but my good OP found it nice to say how being poor is easier and more relaxing than being rich. OK then.
Its not hard at all to be poor.. You just dont get up in the morning and go to work.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
and even more ignorant because they won't/can't use spell check.
You really have to get over this superior attitude of yours. Its not a virtue to have nothing else to do but be a member of the welfare grammer police force.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:32 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,660,138 times
Getting up after little sleep in a culvert is the hard part. Finding a scrap to eat is another. Being poor is no picnic and no joke.

In the last decade the poor are effectively being kept poor because economic growth from productive investment has been replaced with wealth concentration by systemic fraud. The fraudulent banksters do not care about growth so long as they can skim huge amounts of money by such things a deliberately inaccurate security ratings and similar cheating. These businesses, as exemplified by things like Bain Capital, have made many new poor while enhancing the wealth of very few rich.

I am a leftist that values well regulated and honest Capitalism. I am also a dedicated opponent of any form of business monopoly or collusion. Markets only work properly if the thieves are kept out and we have failed to do that over the last 50 years.

Old 02-08-2012, 06:57 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,400,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Are you in dream world? Everyone has the same opportunity?

A poor child in Mississippi, with underfunded schools, no health care and poor nutrition has the same opportunity as the children of millionaires in Beverly Hills -- children whose parents can open opportunity doors for them -- and have money and access to colleges?

The fact is that nobody chooses to be poor; nor do they prefer to be poor. Most are hard-working. They just are low paid. If it was a matter of choice, they wouldn't be poor.

It's also worthy to note that the narrative that wage gains are attributable to higher education. What data shows is that the poor, as a group, have lost economic ground since 1979, the middle-class and educated groups have remained stagnant and the only group that has seen real gains is the top 1% -- and those gains are staggering.
Some of this is true. My kids were certainly at an advantage. They had a a great education. I'm a smart guy and recognize there is disparity.

On the other hand, in 1973 I was a new sailor in the US Navy with a net worth of maybe $100. During my service I tried to save as much as possible. I could have saved more, but Uncle Sam refused to buy us beer in Subic Bay. A few days there with your pals could add up. :grin:

So after years of failed social policy, pouring trillions into programs only to show things have gotten worse, what do we do?

Old 02-08-2012, 06:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,917,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You really have to get over this superior attitude of yours. Its not a virtue to have nothing else to do but be a member of the welfare grammer police force.
Oh, its "grammar" not "grammer" and spelling isn't grammar.

I feel that in an online discussion, the only thing that people see and can judge you on is your words. If one can't spell or doesn't know the difference between "there," "their" or "they're," or doesn't take the effort to spell-check the post, it rightfully detracts from one's credibility, as it calls in question the poster's thinking process and education. Pointing out these errors does the community a service.

Being a member of the grammar/spelling police is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it -- besides, it's worth it just to p i s s you off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies