Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2012, 06:40 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,574,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
They give to the party that PADS their wallets, salaries and pensions, all on the back of the taxpayer.
This pretty much sums it up! Simple and true. I tried to rep you, but have to spread more around first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 06:49 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,023,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Indiana becomes 23rd right-to-work state | Reuters

Good for Indiana!

Indiana is the first state to enact right to work legislation since 2001. Hopefully other states will soon follow its lead.
Victory for Big Business,defeat for the working man.

RTW state workers average over $5,000.00 less wages per year,21% fewer of them have benefits or insurance and they have 51% more work place injuries/deaths.

Yep,big victory all right

Want to bet that the Indiana republicans are going to be unemployed next election cycle like they were the LAST TIME they did this in Indiana??

Old 02-03-2012, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Victory for Big Business,defeat for the working man.

RTW state workers average over $5,000.00 less wages per year,21% fewer of them have benefits or insurance and they have 51% more work place injuries/deaths.

Yep,big victory all right

Want to bet that the Indiana republicans are going to be unemployed next election cycle like they were the LAST TIME they did this in Indiana??
RTW state workers have a much better life.....despite assuming they make less money, they do not have to pay outrageous taxes in order to fund the stupid idiots that are in unions. Additionally, they RTW states do not have union thugs controlling their state. Much better way of life!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 AM

16,745 posts, read 8,107,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How about all the union workers who worked at the same plant? They caused more trouble for those who didn't belong and then the union couldn't save their jobs for them.

I bet you have been led to believe that Boeing Wichita didn't have a union but they sure did. They just couldn't collect dues from non-members. What was done to Boeing by the NLRB and the union really made me unhappy since the corporation provides the money for the union members and there were plenty of people in South Carolina who didn't need a union to work.
But as I have said in other posts the workers in SC have benefited from a union in Seattle. There pay and benefits will be better. The union did what it had to for its members and other nom-union employees will benefit.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:08 AM

16,745 posts, read 8,107,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post
RTW state workers have a much better life.....despite assuming they make less money, they do not have to pay outrageous taxes in order to fund the stupid idiots that are in unions. Additionally, they RTW states do not have union thugs controlling their state. Much better way of life!
Judging from the jobless numbers those RTW states are really doing better attracting jobs (not). I can tell you the GOP Gov. are giving away there tax base to large Corp. to intice them to come to these states. They are giving 10 yr. tax ex. and then they leave to the next state that will give them a better deal. See Boeing and SC vs. Kansas.

Last edited by Boss; 02-03-2012 at 07:14 AM.. Reason: understanding

Old 02-03-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
That's all opinion,but that's cool with me...when you are working for chump change and buying your goods at the company store,just remember how good you have it

That being said,I freely admit I do not really know much at all about any unions other than the 13 basic building trades and the UMWA...I do not know if or what good unions do in "white collar",manufacturing or jobs of that nature..I do know that scab built power plants,manufacturing/industrial plants are way more expensive to build and usually are a total nightmare of screw ups,have way more lost time injuries and deaths and a massive worker turnover.

Scab mines pay low wages,are unsafe for the most part and will run you like a rented mule and then fire you if you get injured....I know dozens upon dozens of guys here locally who live that nightmare every shift right now....tide is turning here tho'...they just voted the UMWA into another local rat mine...what's the company gonna do? Move the coal seam overseas to mine it

Old 02-03-2012, 07:33 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,875,593 times
Regarding non-unionized workers gaining from unionized activities, if you have weekends off, you have benefited from union gains. If you have a safe workplace, you have benefited from union gains.

When the right-wingers on CD complain about "unions buying politicians," what are they really talking about? Unions mainly lobby government for legislation that protects safety, health and working conditions.

Corporations lobby government to reduce worker protections and relax public safety, such as pollution controls, so that they can earn greater profits at the public's expense. So, when the right tries to equate the two, it's a false equivalence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayinformed
How do you know they have a better life? What metric are you using to gauge standard of living?

Let's look at a few examples:

Texas:
Health Data Shows Massachusetts Most Insured State, Texas Ranks Last

Texas ranks near the bottom nationally in money spent on education

Texas has the highest percentage of workers making minimum wage out of all 50 states.
Worst environmental record in the United States
Ranks #1 in illiteracy
Ranks #1 in the lowest high school graduation rate
Ranks #1 with the highest interest rates “pay day” companies can charge
Ranks #1 in those making below minimum wage
Ranks # 1 (26.5%) who lack health insurance
Ranks # 1 (20.3%) of children who lack health insurance
Ranks # 1 in the highest per capita executions in the world
Ranks #50 in $ spent for Medicaid for the poor and children
Ranks 50th ( dead last ) in $ spent on its citizens
Ranks #2 in the rate of food insecure children.
Ranks 49th ( the 2nd lowest ) in Medicaid $ given to nursing homes
Ranks #1 in teen repeat births
Ranks #4 in teen pregnancy rate
Ranks #3 in teen birth rate
Ranks #2 with the highest home insurance rates
Ranks 49th in $ funded for the mentally ill
Ranks #1 with the highest overall pollution rate
Ranks #4 in adults under correctional control
Ranks #1 in adults under probation
(source)

Last edited by MTAtech; 02-03-2012 at 07:54 AM..

Old 02-03-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Regarding non-unionized workers gaining from unionized activities, if you have weekends off, you have benefited from union gains. If you have a safe workplace, you have benefited from union gains.

When the right-wingers on CD complain about "unions buying politicians," what are they really talking about? Unions mainly lobby government for legislation that protects safety, health and working conditions.

Corporations lobby government to reduce worker protections and relax public safety, such as pollution controls, so that they can earn greater profits at the public's expense. So, when the right tries to equate the two, it's a false equivalence.
100% correct...I'm starting to really believe that all of the ones who rail against unions are ones who have never did a hard days work in their lives or work for low wages and want everyone else to be in their situation...just Bots for corporations most likely.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Whatever.

Weekends off? Yes, and also plastic surgery and ridiculous pay and vacation time. Again, all on the tax payers back.

My husband and I own our own business. We do not have some union thug molesting our state so that we can be fat and lazy....little work for ridiculous pay. Weekends off? Doesn't happen we you are responsible for yourself and want to be successful. We have a limited amount of very happy employees whom do enjoy weekends off and we outsource work to countless independent contractors in our great right to work state.

Unions have destroyed America and make current Americans whom are members lazy. They use thug tactics to make unreasonable demands on businesses. I love seeing states start to wake up and realize they need to abolish unions and declare their states right to work ones!

Old 02-03-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Whatever.

Weekends off? Yes, and also plastic surgery and ridiculous pay and vacation time. Again, all on the tax payers back.

My husband and I own our own business. We do not have some union thug molesting our state so that we can be fat and lazy....little work for ridiculous pay. Weekends off? Doesn't happen we you are responsible for yourself and want to be successful. We have a limited amount of very happy employees whom do enjoy weekends off and we outsource work to countless independent contractors in our great right to work state.

Unions have destroyed America and make current Americans whom are members lazy. They use thug tactics to make unreasonable demands on businesses. I love seeing states start to wake up and realize they need to abolish unions and declare their states right to work ones!
Just curious...what do YOU do for a living?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies