Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 05:29 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,323,498 times

Advertisements

My goodness. You would think that the world was coming to an end listening to the rants of the liberals here saying we're in for slave wages, 100 hour work weeks, no benefits, sweatshop safety, etc. Funny how by and large we don't have problems such as those considering only 8% of the workforce is unionized. Why aren't the other 92% all working in sweatshops??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2012, 05:30 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The economy of the 1920s was quite primitive, small and isolated comparing to what we have now.
Too big to fail, right?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,573,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
In the back of their minds, these ignorant, scared imbeciles think that if they just give up more of their demands for good pay/benefits....the corporate masters will take pity on them and reward them with good jobs ( in comparison to the riff raff) ...LOL

Little do they know, because of their assault on unions, and cutting taxes on the rich, middle class existence is a thing of the past.

Only a small fraction of their kids/grandkids will thrive because they've allowed coporations and the elite to consolidate all the power and money.

And these poor white low IQ voters keep voting GOP.....hastening their demise.
it is the government that has herded companies into too big to fail corporation. through their laws to where only big corporation have the wealth to hire high power lawyers!! same thing with union they become too powerful, for our own good!

Old 02-01-2012, 05:32 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
My goodness. You would think that the world was coming to an end listening to the rants of the liberals here saying we're in for slave wages, 100 hour work weeks, no benefits, sweatshop safety, etc. Funny how by and large we don't have problems such as those considering only 8% of the workforce is unionized. Why aren't the other 92% all working in sweatshops??
Geez, have you looked worker pay and benefits lately?

What's your solution? Vote for more GOP, wreck union power, and lessen regulation on those poor Billionaires?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:35 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Too big to fail, right?
Yes, like GM is too big to fail because of the UAW.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:36 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Actually, the workplaces are starting to resemble the non-union workplaces of the 1920's more everyday.

I work for a large gas/electric utility. I've been a union man for 25 years and they've been good to me. I can make 100K by Labor Day if I'm motivated to work that much OT.

I have a pension plan that will pay me 60% of my average salary for my last 5 years at work. Full retirement age for me is 58 with a health insurance and social security bridge until I turn 67. To me, that should be the minimum for any working person in this country. When have we decided that less is ok?

My company hasn't laid anyone off in 100 years. They are profitable and their customers get the best rates in the country (that includes non-union workforce utilities).

The company loves the union. The union ensures a trained, quality and diverse workforce for them (the IBEW was fighting for the rights of minorities and women since before anyone on this forum was born).

I've heard how people are treated in non-union workplaces and I'll tell you this. It sucks compared to what I have. We have a professional, well trained workforce. When your lights or gas goes out you know it will be put back in service. When it's 30 below zero, you know you'll have enough gas to heat your house.

Unions are in jobs where companies can't afford to allow management alone to make the decision regarding safety and personnel. Our union protects management from their own stupid decisions. Kind of like a democratic congress and republican senate.
I came up in a carpenter's apprenticeship. It took passing an 8 week 42 hour a week pre-apprenticeship program just to get in. 15 places, 45 people in that program. After that it is four years of evening classes while working with a journeyman. The union invested a lot into me. Many times you are training one on one. It is not easy to hide in the back of the class. They are not teaching the same way in trade schools. The youngsters I have been seeing know less and less, general skill levels and understanding of the job is missing.

Unions do a lot more than collect dues.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,929,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Geez, have you looked worker pay and benefits lately?

What's your solution? Vote for more GOP, wreck union power, and lessen regulation on those poor Billionaires?
Well, in 2005 Gov Daniels banned CB for public sector workers...did the world and state come to an end?

Nooooooo....just about 95% of union members CHOSE not to pay their dues. Isn't the Left all about CHOICE?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:38 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,478,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Well, considering that that's where we were at before unions, I think that fear is pretty well founded. In fact, consistent Republican hostility toward workers and labor rights is one reason why I cannot call myself a Republican, despite agreeing with Republicans on quite a few issues. Why would I vote for my own economic demise?

Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
Yes, like GM is too big to fail because of the UAW.
My husband belongs to the UAW, the aerospace branch @ Lockheed Martin.
Without the union, LM would be walking all over the workers.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:40 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Indiana becomes 23rd right-to-work state | Reuters

Good for Indiana!

Indiana is the first state to enact right to work legislation since 2001. Hopefully other states will soon follow its lead.
If the Teamsters close the entrance to Lucas Stadium, will the Union Member NFL players cross their line?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies