Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 07:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
So you are good with false claims because the government ok's/mandates them?
I'm comfortable with the word "estimate" and the definition that comes with it.

No person in their right mind actually believes MPG charts. It's a good starting point, but it should never be the end-all, be-all of car buying decisions.

This woman was stupid. In this case, I don't blame Honda or the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
"Honda's proposed class-action settlement would give aggrieved owners $100 to $200 each and a $1,000 credit toward the purchase of a new car. Legal fees in the class action case would give trial lawyers $8.5 million, Peters said"

It's pretty obvious Honda was falsifying information to gain sales, and they have every right to be sued.
Show me where the information was intentionally falsified.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:32 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Show me where the information was intentionally falsified.
Honda lost to the woman in court

Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Honda lost to the woman in court
You said Honda falsified its data to gain sales. I need to see proof of that.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:34 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
I'm comfortable with the word "estimate" and the definition that comes with it.

No person in their right mind actually believes MPG charts. It's a good starting point, but it should never be the end-all, be-all of car buying decisions.

This woman was stupid. In this case, I don't blame Honda or the government.
I think you are confusing the term "estimate" with unattainable.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I think you are confusing the term "estimate" with unattainable.
I, for one, have never relied on the big bold MPG number plastered on window stickers. It has never once entered into my conciousness that "this is the reason I should buy this vehicle." I understand exactly where you're coming from.....its all a farce. I agree. But at some point you have to move from reliance on Big Government to help you make your purchasing decision and into performance of your own due diligence. There are many ways to determine if a car fits your needs and requirements. Big, fancy stickers with government "estimates" should not be the main basis for that determination. Had she taken a competent car buyer with her, she likely could have been explained how faulty those MPG ratings really are, no matter what the salesperson told her.

But she didn't. She's the idiot here.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
I, for one, have never relied on the big bold MPG number plastered on window stickers. It has never once entered into my conciousness that "this is the reason I should buy this vehicle." I understand exactly where you're coming from.....its all a farce. I agree. But at some point you have to move from reliance on Big Government to help you make your purchasing decision and into performance of your own due diligence. There are many ways to determine if a car fits your needs and requirements. Big, fancy stickers with government "estimates" should not be the main basis for that determination. Had she taken a competent car buyer with her, she likely could have been explained how faulty those MPG ratings really are, no matter what the salesperson told her.

So its okay to hoodwink, lie and mislead the public so long as the federal government signs off on it?

Old 02-02-2012, 07:52 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,810,134 times
Quote:
I, for one, have never relied on the big bold MPG number plastered on window stickers.

I see, everyone that doesn't agree with you is wrong and an idiot. How GOP

Old 02-02-2012, 07:57 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
So its okay to hoodwink, lie and mislead the public so long as the federal government signs off on it?
technically it is not misleading the public if they are using government generated numbers. if the government estimates fuel economy at 45mpg, its because they have actually tested the vehicle, granted they did it on a dyno rather than in the real world.

the difference is if the government says 45mpg, but you claim that the car gets more than that, then you have a problem.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Personally, I think it goes way deeper than just the government signing off on it. I believe this case is more to do with the fact that the woman in question is:

1) A greedy, litigious lawyer. Finding fault and remedy is her trained profession. She felt wronged. Her mentality wouldn't let her do anything other than sue.

2) She's from California. Being ridiculous is a requirement.

3) She's most likely a Liberal. Her ideology doesn't permit her to find fault with the government. Her ideology forces her to find fault with big corporations.

4) She's very easily duped. Her Green Ideology doesn't bend or sway. Either it's green, or it's not. Either it gets 50 MPG, or it doesn't.

A strong case could be made that the MPG numbers are not attainable, as you mention, but the fault lies directly with this woman for being the ignorant person that she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies