Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
That's the problem. She TRUSTED government! And then she turned around and SUED a big corporation like any good liberal lawyer is expected to do.

You seem to agree with me that the fault was trusting the MPG ratings, which meant she TRUSTED GOVERNMENT. That makes her very ignorant in my book.

Have you EVER seen a post from me where I proclaim to trust the USG? Then why does it surprise you that I find this woman to be sufficiently ignorant for trusting the USG?
WHERE is there any statement that GOVERNMENT promised her 50MPG?

Perhaps she's just too damn stupid to understand the meaning of ESTIMATE?

Which by the way was also never mentioned in the GOVERNMENT numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 09:26 AM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The article says she claims she was promised 50MPG but doesn't state by who. Being that 50MPG doesn't appear in the EPA estimate , what do you have that says the government made that promise?

It'd also be interesting to hear why she's identified as a former lawyer, I would think most don't stop being lawyers unless they're disbarred for some reason.
Or maybe she discovered and became disillusioned with the incompatibility between the principles of justice and integrity and the reality of the justice system and it's lack thereof? This happens too ... it's just not as common to run into such levels of integrity in those circles ... but it does happen occasionally. Some people do embark on careers in law under the false belief in the existence of blind justice, truth, and the American way, only to have reality open their eyes to an entirely different picture.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:29 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:

I agree with you. It's an "estimate," and it doesn't appear that 50mpg was ever in those estimates. But as a plaintiff she stated that she got more like 30mpg, which is less than the "estimated" 44mpg. Even when you throw 50mpg out the window, she still didn't get the number she obviously trusted that she would get.

That's what she gets for trusting the United States Government to sell her on green technology that isn't mature, and or trusting the United States Government to provide her with accurate information.

She's the idiot. When can we expect her to petition the government for its horrendous "estimate?"

Old 02-02-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:

No ... the official EPA "estimate" was 44mpg ... the achieved results of 30 mpg. That's not an estimate ... that's a gross exaggeration of greater than 30%, and the manufacturer is responsible for all claims published by them, regardless of the source.

But hey ... you love being lied to, dontcha? Oh yeah, that's what you are saying ... you love the lies .. the bigger the better.

Amazing attitudes here.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Or maybe she discovered and became disillusioned with the incompatibility between the principles of justice and integrity and the reality of the justice system and it's lack thereof? This happens too ... it's just not as common to run into such levels of integrity in those circles ... but it does happen occasionally. Some people do embark on careers in law under the false belief in the existence of blind justice, truth, and the American way, only to have reality open their eyes to an entirely different picture.
And some people file frivolous suits knowing full well they can BS their way to some $$$, that happens too. The article here is far too short and unspecific to know just who promised what to who when.

Auto manufacturers will quite often through some $$$ at suits that have little/no merit as it's cheaper than going to trial, I've heard on the news that Honda's planning an appeal in this case, I find that very interesting.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
I agree with you. It's an "estimate," and it doesn't appear that 50mpg was ever in those estimates. But as a plaintiff she stated that she got more like 30mpg, which is less than the "estimated" 44mpg. Even when you throw 50mpg out the window, she still didn't get the number she obviously trusted that she would get.

That's what she gets for trusting the United States Government to sell her on green technology that isn't mature, and or trusting the United States Government to provide her with accurate information.

She's the idiot. When can we expect her to petition the government for its horrendous "estimate?"
Yes, and we should do away with prosecuting muggers and rapists and murderers in the tough inner city areas ... after all, if the victims are too stupid to stay out of those areas, they deserve what they get, right?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:38 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
Quote:
No ... the official EPA "estimate" was 44mpg ... the achieved results of 30 mpg. That's not an estimate ... that's a gross exaggeration of greater than 30%, and the manufacturer is responsible for all claims published by them, regardless of the source.

But hey ... you love being lied to, dontcha? Oh yeah, that's what you are saying ... you love the lies .. the bigger the better.

Amazing attitudes here.
What I see are two sides of the same coin. We all agree the "estimates" are off. You seem to blame Honda and absolve the woman. I blame the woman for trusting the USG.

Why do you hate corporations? Why do you not find fault in the USG (and the woman for that matter)?

Old 02-02-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:

Amazing attitudes here.
You're apparently the one who enjoys being lied to or at best nebulous claims. It's yet to be mentioned in this thread just WHERE that 50MPG number comes from or just HOW this woman calculated her mileage. That HONDA plans an appeal on this judgement speaks volumes.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:42 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Or maybe she discovered and became disillusioned with the incompatibility between the principles of justice and integrity and the reality of the justice system and it's lack thereof?
BS. How exactly is this everybody else's but her fault? As I said in my response to you in the previous page, she may be dumb but the justice system is clearly dumber.

Quote:
Except that, as I said in the earlier page, EPA estimates are NEVER presented as a guarantee. She was a fool for taking it as it, or a lot smarter than people she has used to buy into her ideas and succeeded.

Quote:
Have you EVER seen what the EPA sticker says?

Quote:
EPA estimate has a lot more information on it, for people who choose to be educated about it (and it doesn't take much, just a quick reading provides you with an information).

BTW, it is an estimate for ALL vehicles, hybrid or otherwise, but I guess anti-environmentalists have to fume somehow, use anything for an excuse as long as they can push their propaganda.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:44 AM

Quote:
And some people file frivolous suits knowing full well they can BS their way to some $$$, that happens too. The article here is far too short and unspecific to know just who promised what to who when.
That hasn't stopped you from condemning the actions of the woman. now, has it?

Quote:
Auto manufacturers will quite often through some $$$ at suits that have little/no merit as it's cheaper than going to trial, I've heard on the news that Honda's planning an appeal in this case, I find that very interesting.
Nothing at all unusual about that. They want to settle a class action for pennies ... and this individual award could compromise that, and lead to exponential damages being on the horizon. So, they'll spend a Million to save that 10 grand ... because that 10 grand could turn into 50 Million. And they'll likely win, if they "THROW" enough money at it. They'll appeal in order to get another "judge" who may be predisposed to a more favorable attitude ... someone who has already enjoyed playing golf at Pebble Beach, and smoking Davidoffs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies