Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should JC Penney dump Ellen DeGeneres because she's gay?
Yes 13 9.29%
No 125 89.29%
Not sure 2 1.43%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:16 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Life isn't fair. More people were crapped on for doing far less. The sixteen year old girl who was ten minutes late and got fired, yet had record sales for her department and quarter would agree.
Getting fired for tardiness is quite different from being fired for your sexual orientation... matter of fact, the latter is illegal in many states (including the state of CA, where the ads are most likely shot).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 01:33 AM

1,263 posts, read 1,171,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Getting fired for tardiness is quite different from being fired for your sexual orientation... matter of fact, the latter is illegal in many states (including the state of CA, where the ads are most likely shot).
So would be losing millions of dollars and or tarnishing the companies name with the masses. Get a good lawyer and make that contract disappear.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:47 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Million Moms want...
A husband that doesn't bugger fido.

Who the rest of these <alleged> 'moms' are, well, frigid control freak biddies who require legislation to decide that they themselves aren't lesbians don't appear to be (by their own standard) qualified parents. Not when they're way too confused about their own orientation. I'm just sayin...

Old 02-05-2012, 04:02 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,386,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Whatever happened to simple boycotts?
I know. Kinda tell-tale that they wish to antagonize Ellen personally, that this "JCP failed us" strategy is a lie. Why would they punish Ellen for something JCP supposedly did wrong? They're not pro-family; they're anti-gay. That's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTM View Post
Life isn't fair. More people were crapped on for doing far less. The sixteen year old girl who was ten minutes late and got fired, yet had record sales for her department and quarter would agree.
More people were hired while doing far worse than being gay. And since your mentality is "Since we can't stop every wrongdoing, might as well overlook this one", you should be the one to overlook the "wrongdoing" of JCP hiring Ellen. We can say "S*** happens, get over it" in result to either outcome. But our way would at least save time and paperwork.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:18 AM

779 posts, read 537,294 times
Oh but it was "anti-American" and a "violation of free-speech" when lefties protested Glenn Beck sponsors.

It's become all-too-clear that the lunatic fringe right only believes in freedom of expression and assembly for themselves...

Supply-side Jesus would be so proud of them!

Old 02-05-2012, 04:46 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Bill View Post
Oh but it was "anti-American" and a "violation of free-speech" when lefties protested Glenn Beck sponsors.

It's become all-too-clear that the lunatic fringe right only believes in freedom of expression and assembly for themselves...

Supply-side Jesus would be so proud of them!
Who put a gag order on them? Just because they're being being blown off doesn't mean they're being oppressed. It means their ideas are irrational and the content of their character is so bereft they haven't any credibility. They have no point other than being little tyrants. And when liberals do it, I tell them the same. And when Catholics do it, I tell them the same too.

Thing is, queen bee social conservatives are unaccustomed to not getting their rear ends kissed 24/7 and they've come to believe that's oppression. The best way to deliver the epiphany is deport their asses to China so they know the difference first hand.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:48 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,780,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

I would get rid of her, because she is bad for business, and the 1 million moms have already proven that. Keeping her a bad business move from JCPenny's part.

I think less people will shop there, because a lot of customers are not pro-gay. It may add some pro-gay customers, but it makes business sense only of the pro-gay customers outnumber the ones who will boycott JCPenny because of this. Don't you think it would make better business sense if they picked someone who is not opposed by any group? Someone who is neutral, as opposed to being divisive.

Bill Cosby, Tom Brady, Madonna, Eddie Murphey....anyone who is known by everyone, yet give no reason to be opposed.

I don't keep track of them either, yet
Quote:
somehow I know that JCPenny is now a pro-gay store
. When you shop there you can expect to see a lot of gay people, and while most are OK with that, there are many who will choose to not go in because of it.

Simply because millions of people are not pro-gay. If you run a business you do not want to drive away ANY customers. There are ways to attract black, white, male, female, straight, gay, christian and atheist at the same time, so it does not make sense to pick a person who will drive away some people. This move makes business sense if they are trying to re-build their image as a gay-store, but I doubt they are trying to do that.

Unless you want to target a specific group of people, you have to remain neutral, and JCPenny is a store which does not target one group, but all groups.

I dont' know much about Madonna, but obviously you'd do the research and pick a non-contraversial person
I'm only up to page 13 and am looking forward to more of your insight in the coming pages.

As for Madonna, here you go:

Britney Spears kissing Madonna - YouTube

Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,883,903 times
2 million .22 shells to the back of the head would take care of them million moms.

Old 02-05-2012, 05:07 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

Is there a test required to get into the store?
I'm still trying to figure out why "Ellen" even has a line of clothes
that one would want to buy.... let alone the JC Penney connection.

Old 02-05-2012, 06:23 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,611,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There are plenty of people who are 'not pro-gay' who wouldn't care at all. They aren't pro-gay or anti-gay. They just accept the fact that gay people exist and don't think any more about it.

But let's not pretend....

The only people who might have a problem are ones who are definitely ANTI-gay. Like the anti-gay hate group, the American Famly Association ministry who are behind this campaign.
Any business move which costs you customers is a bad business move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies