Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 09:20 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,811,339 times

Advertisements

Amash: No Tracking Chips In Driver's Licenses | Congressman Justin Amash
https://www.facebook.com/repjustinam...28550730520794

Quote:
Dear Secretary Napolitano:

I urge you to reverse the Department of Homeland Security’s requirement that enhanced driver’s licenses include vicinity radio frequency identification (RFID) technology. I specifically ask the Department to cease demanding that Michigan include RFID chips in its enhanced driver’s licenses.

I have been informed that the RFID chips in these driver’s licenses would contain unique numbers that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officers could scan from 20 to 30 feet away. These numbers would allow CBP to identify all of the occupants within a vehicle with one scan.

I am deeply concerned about the privacy implications of mandatory RFIDs in driver’s licenses. The chips would give public and private entities an unprecedented ability to track Americans. RFIDs can be read using widely available technology, including technology contained in mobile phones, which increases the risk of identity theft. Furthermore, if RFIDs were to become ubiquitous, there is little doubt that private entities would deploy new technology to capture the chips’ data.

Congress never has required RFIDs to be installed in driver’s licenses. Current federal law states only that “standards for common machine-readable identity information [are] to be included on each driver’s license or personal identification card, including defined minimum data elements.” This mandate could be satisfied by issuing driver’s licenses with magnetic strips, for example.

The people of Michigan oppose the new requirement. The Michigan state House and Senate each unanimously approved a resolution calling on DHS to address privacy concerns related to the federal mandate. And Michigan’s Secretary of State has asked the Department for the flexibility to issue secure driver’s licenses without RFIDs.

I believe we can find a solution that both satisfies federal law and protects our civil liberties. Please work with Michigan officials to adopt an alternative to mandatory RFIDs.

Sincerely,

/s/

Justin Amash
Member of Congress
FYI to those who don't know Amash. Amash is a liberty minded congressman and endorsed Ron Paul for president.

The federal government is becoming more and more opressive in bossing around states to do things they don't want to do, and by shredding the constitution. I would urge folks to look into the process of nullification.

More info:
The 10th Amendment Nullification Movement – Tenth Amendment Center
Nullification | Tom Woods
Nullify NOW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
why do you have a problem with rfid for CLD's..(profressional DRIVERS)...more than 50% of the trucks are gps'd and rfid'd to begin with?????

they are not talking about the basic licesne for basic people...they are talking about enhanced (commercial) licenses

Old 02-02-2012, 08:16 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
The barcodes are good enough and many states have them.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:21 AM

78,335 posts, read 60,527,398 times
*shrug* I'd get a little cigarette case type wallet with a lining that blocks that crap.

Problem solved.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:22 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving_pains View Post
Amash: No Tracking Chips In Driver's Licenses | Congressman Justin Amash
https://www.facebook.com/repjustinam...28550730520794

FYI to those who don't know Amash. Amash is a liberty minded congressman and endorsed Ron Paul for president.

The federal government is becoming more and more opressive in bossing around states to do things they don't want to do, and by shredding the constitution. I would urge folks to look into the process of nullification.

More info:
The 10th Amendment Nullification Movement – Tenth Amendment Center
Nullification | Tom Woods
Nullify NOW!
Enhanced driver's licenses are de facto passports for land-based points of entry into the U.S. That makes it a matter of state over which the federal government has clear and obvious jurisdiction. Nobody in Michigan or any other border state that issues EDLs is required to get one. If you don't want a federal-government-approved RFID driver's licence, get the regular ol' non-enhanced version.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
*shrug* I'd get a little cigarette case type wallet with a lining that blocks that crap.

Problem solved.
I was just thinking what a nice little cottage industry that would become, hopefully Made in Amereica and creating jobs

Old 02-02-2012, 08:24 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,510,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
why do you have a problem with rfid for CLD's..(profressional DRIVERS)...more than 50% of the trucks are gps'd and rfid'd to begin with?????

they are not talking about the basic licesne for basic people...they are talking about enhanced (commercial) licenses
Because off duty, no one has any business to know one's where-abouts. To keep track of one's comings and goings is purely a police state.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,806,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Problem solved.
Don't do that with your toll tag.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I was just thinking what a nice little cottage industry that would become, hopefully Made in Amereica and creating jobs
They already make some things like that as identity thiefs can read info off some types of cards that are already out there including credit cards, passports and so forth.

RFID Blocking Wallets & Gear Products - Travel Gear and Anti-Theft Travel Accessories - Travel Gear, Anti-theft Travel Accessories & Travel Safety Tips

Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Don't do that with your toll tag.
Yeah.

FYI- There have been speeding tix issued in some northeastern states because the driver tripped through consecutive toll booths and the time/distance clearly proved he'd averaged a MUCH higher than allowable speed limit.

So, if you were out zipping around some night...might make sense to tuck your toll tag away and just pay cash in places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies