U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,241,290 times

Advertisements

I came across this article a while back that got me thinking. The story tells of Planned Parenthood in New York mandating that Teens who work there attend a Gay Pride Parade. What does a Gay Pride Parade have to do with planning a pregnancy? Gays don't get pregnant. And why would an organization who uses tax payer dollars require that teens, some of whom would be minors, attend a parade with naked people and such?

"A Planned Parenthood program in New York that employs teenagers required them to attend a homosexual pride parade as a condition of employment, causing some to question the organizationís use of taxpayer dollars."

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=12607

After reading this, I thought I would check out the PP site. The Home Page has a column titled, "Health Information & Services" under which is listed: Abortion, Birth Control, Morning After Pill & STD's. Where was the service for PreNatal Care or What you need to know to ensure your fertility (a very important topic for those career women who actually want to have a baby in the future but are at risk of waiting until it is too late) or The Joys of Planning a Family? I found no heading like this on the Home Page. I did find a link called "Resouces," which eventually took me to a page on Pregnancy for which there were two choices: Testing and Options. Under Options, were listed 3 choices, the first of which was Abortion, the second was Adoption and last was Parenting. I guess if one digs around enough, there is some information on Parenting, but certainly not highlighted.

Seems like the organization is more about promoting sex, avoiding and terminating pregnancies and dealing with the STD's that come with the sex than about "Parenthood." The name of the organization is misleading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 01:32 PM

8,805 posts, read 7,968,235 times
Uh, doesn't "parenthood", planned or otherwise, already imply that a sex act possibly resulting in pregnancy is taking place?

It's been about 2000 years since the last claimed immaculate conception, so sex is a requisite.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

7,090 posts, read 10,761,400 times
Yeah, people shouldn't be having any sex at all. They should be terrified of anything relating to it and their own genitalia. Even using the restroom should require a welding mask, rubber gloves, and a pair of tongs (silicon hurts less).

They certainly shouldn't have any contact with people, especially at risk populations. They should be taught that if they see people who might need their services to pepper spray in a wide arc and run to the panic room.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:37 PM

4,406 posts, read 5,467,715 times
97% of its expenditures are non-abortion related. If it helps people make informed decisions in their private intimate lives through education and other services, why should people complain?

I'd much rather complain about the trillions we spend on defense and why just this week, a Defense department spokesperson (it may have been Panetta actually, I can't recall) said that decreased defense spending would mean a curtailment in war activities. Um, I thought we went into war for a reason, not because we had the funding!! What this tells me is that if we funnel money to defense, it will find some reason to spend it. THIS is where we should direct our outrage, not Planned Parenthood.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,500,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
I came across this article a while back that got me thinking. The story tells of Planned Parenthood in New York mandating that Teens who work there attend a Gay Pride Parade. What does a Gay Pride Parade have to do with planning a pregnancy? Gays don't get pregnant. And why would an organization who uses tax payer dollars require that teens, some of whom would be minors, attend a parade with naked people and such?

"A Planned Parenthood program in New York that employs teenagers required them to attend a homosexual pride parade as a condition of employment, causing some to question the organization’s use of taxpayer dollars."

http://www.greeleygazette.com/press/?p=12607
"Upon submission, applications will be reviewed and screened by S.T.A.R.S. staff. A select number of candidates will be contacted no later than June 2, 2011 to begin the interview process. As part of the interview process selected candidates are required to attend Capital Pride on June 12, 2011. More information will follow for individuals selected for final interview process."

Per the application.

Not sure why it's a requisite of the interview process, but I can't find anything more about it other than this story and viewing the application.

Quote:
After reading this, I thought I would check out the PP site. The Home Page has a column titled, "Health Information & Services" under which is listed: Abortion, Birth Control, Morning After Pill & STD's. Where was the service for PreNatal Care or What you need to know to ensure your fertility (a very important topic for those career women who actually want to have a baby in the future but are at risk of waiting until it is too late) or The Joys of Planning a Family? I found no heading like this on the Home Page.
We must be looking at different websites.

Under Health Information and Services, I see (and I included the links in case you were looking for something specific):

Planned Parenthood Locations
Abortion
Birth Control
Body Image
General Health Care
Men's Sexual Health
Morning After Pill (Emergency Contraceptive)
Pregnancy
Relationships
Sex and Sexuality
Sexual Orientation and Gender
Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
Women's Health

Note: With the exception of the first item which is to help you find a location, the list is alphabetical.

There's even a thing on the front page about early breast cancer detection. "Meet Women Whose Lives Have Been Saved By Early Breast Cancer Detection"

Quote:
I did find a link called "Resouces," which eventually took me to a page on Pregnancy for which there were two choices: Testing and Options. Under Options, were listed 3 choices, the first of which was Abortion, the second was Adoption and last was Parenting.
So they alphabetized it. And?

Quote:
Seems like the organization is more about promoting sex, avoiding and terminating pregnancies and dealing with the STD's that come with the sex than about "Parenthood." The name of the organization is misleading.
Seems like you're misleading the facts of their website in an attempt to rationalize your dislike of an organization.

If anything, they should be named Health and Human Services, but in many places that is the name of the government-run clinic.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:43 PM

13,819 posts, read 14,653,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Uh, doesn't "parenthood", planned or otherwise, already imply that a sex act possibly resulting in pregnancy is taking place?

It's been about 2000 years since the last claimed immaculate conception, so
sex is a requisite.
this ^^ was in tiny, tiny print at the very bottom of the website wrong to lure people in like that nasty people having sex

Old 02-02-2012, 01:49 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,003,628 times
It is tempting to label it "Planned Genocide."

Sanger, the founder? said some things that have been kept obscure and are most suspicious.

For any deniers, YES, she really was the founder of PP....these QUOTES of her are insane! to read the smaller fonts all one has to do is pause the video, and read.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margaret_Sanger

The True Face of "Pro-Choice"-- Quotes From Margaret Sanger, Founder of Planned Parenthood - YouTube

Old 02-02-2012, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
It is tempting to label it "Planned Genocide."

Sanger, the founder? said some things that have been kept obscure and are most suspicious.
So something good became of something bad.

I see no problems with the evolution of the organization.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:53 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,241,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

It's been about 2000 years since the last claimed immaculate conception, so sex is a requisite.
Everything they do is about sex, some of which can result in pregnancy; some can not. It would make more sense to identify themself as a Sex Clinic; not a Parenthood Clinic. Stop trying to fool the public with a euphemistic name.

Old 02-02-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Everything they do is about sex, some of which can result in pregnancy; some can not. It would make more sense to identify themself as a Sex Clinic; not a Parenthood Clinic. Stop trying to fool the public with a euphemistic name.
Last I checked, getting a pap smear has nothing to do with sex.
Getting a breast cancer screening has nothing to do with sex.
Menopause has nothing to with sex.
Menstruation has nothing to with sex.
UTI and yeast infections have nothing to do with sex.

And this is just from the main bullets of the women's health page.

If you wanted, I could list every service they provide that has nothing to do with sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies