Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 02:04 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And how is getting an abortion not taking responsibility for their actions? They have to go through the procedure, pay for it and live with it for the rest of their lives. They have to make the decision and I don't see how their placing it on the shoulders of others.

I'd say it's pretty responsible for a woman who thinks it's a bad time to go through with a pregnancy to get an abortion.
That is a means of responsibility, but wouldn't it have been more responsible to have avoided an unwanted pregnancy in the first place? Where is the responsibility of the father?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 04:03 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
That is a means of responsibility, but wouldn't it have been more responsible to have avoided an unwanted pregnancy in the first place? Where is the responsibility of the father?
a. In Tiajuana on 3 fer margarita night.
b. Shoved in a pile of towels in the locker room
c. With Ms Scarlet in the library with a wrench
d. In his own pants, as opposed to anyone else's.

Let's see how many male answer this correctly. Shall we?

Old 02-05-2012, 06:59 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
I wonder how long Komen will last? It originally was created for good purposes only to be subverted by a RW zealot movement. It will be nice when these RW Zealots get put back in their cans. New movement, "Can the Zealots!".

Old 02-05-2012, 07:04 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,373,819 times
I saw an insightful comment on one of the many news stories out there on this. Something about how that sickening odor you smell is the SGK Foundation frying itself on the "third rail of charity politics." It is never a good idea to get involved with politics if you are a non-for-profit involved with health. Now SGK is in the spotlight - supporters of PP are angry and detractors of PP are angry.

Dumb, dumb idea on their part. I for one will not support them. There are PLENTY of charities to choose from, why risk sending money to one that is controversial?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:41 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Here's a novel thought... Don't have sex without birth control if you don't want to get pregnant. I actually agree that it is a womans right to choose, but all too many times today, abortion is meerly another means of birth control. My only arguement is, why should it be the taxpayers responsibility to pay for something that is entirely preventable and the knowledge and ability to do so is so readily available. I understand there are special considerations when rape or incest is involved, but too much is just plain lack of thought. It certainly isn't the lack of education or the inability to obtain birth control.
There it is, close your legs, shut your zipper.

Never fails, its the last argument, and any rational person can realize, its a silly one.

Human beings will have sex, period. That isn't a statement of opinion, its a statement of fact.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:15 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
I saw this this morning, and thought it was too funny not to share, you can donate as little as $5 to Planned Parenthood and they will send a thank you note to the person you wish to honor with your donation.

That’s pretty cool, because you can choose to honor:

Karen Handel
Senior VP
c/o Susan G. Komen Foundation
P.O. Box 650309
Dallas, TX 75265-0309

And then she will receive a note from Planned Parenthood thanking her for the donation.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:16 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,932,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
There it is, close your legs, shut your zipper.

Never fails, its the last argument, and any rational person can realize, its a silly one.

Human beings will have sex, period. That isn't a statement of opinion, its a statement of fact.
I agree, but there is responsible sex and irresponsible sex. That is the difference. Too many people, in particular young people are having irresponsible sex. They are not only getting pregnant, but they are also getting diseases that will be with them a lifetime. We as parents and grandparents are the ones responsible for teaching them the difference and explaining to them the consequences.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
I agree, but there is responsible sex and irresponsible sex. That is the difference. Too many people, in particular young people are having irresponsible sex. They are not only getting pregnant, but they are also getting diseases that will be with them a lifetime. We as parents and grandparents are the ones responsible for teaching them the difference and explaining to them the consequences.
And responsible sex begins with birth control.

I submit, planned parenthood.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,142,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I saw an insightful comment on one of the many news stories out there on this. Something about how that sickening odor you smell is the SGK Foundation frying itself on the "third rail of charity politics." It is never a good idea to get involved with politics if you are a non-for-profit involved with health. Now SGK is in the spotlight - supporters of PP are angry and detractors of PP are angry.

Dumb, dumb idea on their part. I for one will not support them. There are PLENTY of charities to choose from, why risk sending money to one that is controversial?
I never send money to a "charity" whose CEO makes 500 grand a year....

Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Here's a novel thought... Don't have sex without birth control if you don't want to get pregnant. I actually agree that it is a womans right to choose, but all too many times today, abortion is meerly another means of birth control. My only arguement is, why should it be the taxpayers responsibility to pay for something that is entirely preventable and the knowledge and ability to do so is so readily available. I understand there are special considerations when rape or incest is involved, but too much is just plain lack of thought. It certainly isn't the lack of education or the inability to obtain birth control.
taxpayers do not pay for abortions, that has been repeated in this thread numerous times. even if taxpayers paid for all abortions, as taxpayers we don't get to opt out on taxes we don't agree with. if we did I doubt we would have wars.

as to birth control it does fail, people are human and besides failure they can forget, get carried away whatever. teenagers in particular don't plan to have se it just happens, some when they are in a sexual relationship don't have the home life to ask their parents for BC w/out being major trouble. others are too embarrassed to ask a doc or to find a clinic. when you are a kid you know the realities of it but most of the time you don't think it will happen to you or the teens just don't think about it. that is just a function of being a teen.

people keep wanting to shut down and limit PP is way to make abortions really rise. PP has prevented millions of abortions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies