Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 10:13 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
"At this festive season of the year, Mr. Scrooge," said the gentleman, taking up a pen, "it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the Poor and Destitute, who suffer greatly at the present time. Many thousands are in want of common necessaries; hundreds of thousands are in want of common comforts, sir."

"Are there no prisons?" asked Scrooge.

"Plenty of prisons," said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

"And the Union workhouses?" demanded Scrooge. "Are they still in operation?"

"They are. Still," returned the gentleman, "I wish I could say they were not."

"The Treadmill and the Poor Law are in full vigour, then?" said Scrooge.

"Both very busy, sir."

"Oh! I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course," said Scrooge. "I'm very glad to hear it."

"Under the impression that they scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind or body to the multitude," returned the gentleman, "a few of us are endeavouring to raise a fund to buy the Poor some meat and drink and means of warmth. We choose this time, because it is a time, of all others, when Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices. What shall I put you down for?"

"Nothing!" Scrooge replied.

"You wish to be anonymous?"

"I wish to be left alone," said Scrooge. "Since you ask me what I wish, gentlemen, that is my answer. I don't make merry myself at Christmas and I can't afford to make idle people merry. I help to support the establishments I have mentioned -- they cost enough; and those who are badly off must go there."

"Many can't go there; and many would rather die."

"If they would rather die," said Scrooge, "they had better do it, and decrease the surplus population. Besides -- excuse me -- I don't know that."

"But you might know it," observed the gentleman.

"It's not my business," Scrooge returned. "It's enough for a man to understand his own business, and not to interfere with other people's. Mine occupies me constantly. Good afternoon, gentlemen!"

Scrooge was a great man!

I only wonder why Bob Cratchet kept working for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
None of your business. Worry about your own contributions, and i'll worry about mine.

No liberal (or any person) worth their salt would answer your question.
Another leftie....zero. Got it.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Haven't you told us you at one time managed an airport in Iraq? Who was ultimately footing the bill for your services other than the US Government?

Were you happily sucking at that teat while complaining about others who do?

What is it that makes you so self-Righteously think you have the right to question anyone
Defense spending is within the enumerated powers of the constitution.

I see no teat sucking.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:20 PM

Quote:
You're being nosy, and asking people what they do with their money. That's not your business. You wouldn't do that away from an internet forum, and you shouldn't do it here. Worry about what you do with your own money. Why not just ask people to post their pay stubs? It's the same thing.

And you conservative types should stop flattering yourselves with this nonsense. When we talk about the wealthy paying their share, we aren't talking about the working stiff conservatives like yourself on C-D....you aint rich.
But you feel that it's the governments business?

We realize the hypocrisy of the left. What's mine is mine and what's yours is ours.

It's proven by the two head lefties tax returns. (0b0mba and Biden).

Does that sum it up, or should I be more specific?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Another leftie....zero. Got it.
Who appointed YOU to be the one people should report their charitable contributions to? Mine are between me, the charities, and the IRS.

Just because someone doesn't want to report their contributions to City-Data, that doesn't mean they don't contribute.

How 'bout you telling us how much you're taking a tax deduction for?

Old 02-05-2012, 10:23 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
A case of soup and a big roll of toilet paper once a month. The cost varies.
(the TP is a needed item that was suggested to me by a Salvation Army worker)

I began doing this in 1998.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxendale View Post
I haven't kept a running tab. All I can say is that I've taken people into my home to live because they needed it. A couple of them lived in my house for two years without me charging them a penny and it never occurred to me to do so. They were just at that point in their lives when they needed a leg up.
That's just the way I grew up. My parent didn't have much, but my folks took in 2 kids to live with us. It wasn't foster care, they took on the financial burden. What the hell, they already had six kids, what's two more.
You must have grown up differently than me and if you would pardon the question are you by any chance an American?
Next question.....have you ever heard of the Christian religion?
Outstanding.

I take it that those people were better off with your charity than taking from the government?

You did a wonderful job of proving that the charity of individuals is far better than waiting in line for some bureaucrat to give a handout.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Outstanding.

I take it that those people were better off with your charity than taking from the government?

You did a wonderful job of proving that the charity of individuals is far better than waiting in line for some bureaucrat to give a handout.
This is disgusting! You're going to praise all the people who feel that when AeroGuy says "jump" they should jump? Sick, just sick.

I don't need your admiration. I know what I've done, and so does God.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Again, YOU pay your fair share. I hope i'm clear about that.

We're talking about the wealthy.
Okay.

The top 10% pay 70% of the total.

Next.

Old 02-05-2012, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I am highly offended that b/c I don't want to tell an anonymous internet board how much I give to charity that you want to imply I'm not giving anything. Some of us really do like to keep these things private. I'm sorry you don't. It's not very Christian of you, if you read what Christ said about it.
I, unlike you, have never seen a quote from Jesus about giving at the end of a Roman spear.

Got it....katiana, zero. On and on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies