Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: As a Republican, Are you worried that the economy is improving?
Yes, I was hoping that the economy would continue to suffer with the hope that it might hurt Obama. 11 45.83%
No, I am happy that things are turning around even if it helps Obama win re-election. 13 54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 07:03 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"1.2 million people are now not considered unemployed anymore. they just have left the system."

Santelli: Here's What's Wrong With the Jobs Number - CNBC
They all went Galt and are living self-sustaining lifestyles in cabins up in the mountains.

It's pretty simple..if you don't count them they don't exist right ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 07:09 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,857,922 times
Happy Days are Here Again!! Three cheers for Obama!!!!!!!!!!!!

78s - Happy Days Are Here Again - Leo Reisman & His Orchestra - YouTube

Old 02-04-2012, 07:17 AM

397 posts, read 843,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
Last month all the Republicans on here were "those are seasonal jobs! Wait until January, then you'll see!!!!". OK, now what's the problem?

It's take a lot of force to get that economic engine turning, but once it does...it picks up speed and effects spread quickly.
So this post beat me to your answer:

Quote:
"1.2 million people are now not considered unemployed anymore. they just have left the system." - LauraC

Santelli: Here's What's Wrong With the Jobs Number - CNBC
What great news!

Old 02-04-2012, 07:18 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,729,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They all went Galt and are living self-sustaining lifestyles in cabins up in the mountains.

It's pretty simple..if you don't count them they don't exist right ?

Not according to Barack. They are now on welfare and part of another "best" for him.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Snarkiness and sarcasm is a poor substitute for an intelligent argument.

The economy is in recovery, and probably will be for a long time. Only a fool would say that we should now eliminate food assistance programs. Get real.
You have to admit that with all these millions of jobs coming back -- all thanks to Obama -- that there is absolutely no more need for so much unemployment handouts and it's time for the federal government to get out of that completely and also you would have to admit that a recovering economy and mean a lot of cuts in welfare spending.

The problem with the liberals is they think a great economy means more welfare program spending.

Old 02-04-2012, 09:07 AM

277 posts, read 519,101 times
In 25 days I will be unemployed (but not counted - my severance has to run out before that happens) ... unfortunately I'm 63 and chances of getting hired look pretty slim ... my income has been decreasing - I'm making less now than I was 7 years ago and chances are (if I get another job) that I will earn even less ... so I don't think much of all this 'good' news (but I really hope it's true)

Old 02-04-2012, 09:12 AM

2,046 posts, read 1,574,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Republicans must be dismayed by this good news. They wanted Obama to fail.

For the Presidential race, they've put all their chips on the economy. If it continues to improve, how in the world will a Republican candidate ever win in November?

Bottom Line - Recovery is gathering speed, jobs data confirm (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/03/10310764-recovery-is-gathering-speed-jobs-data-confirm - broken link)

Bottom Line - Jobless rate drops to lowest level in almost three years (http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/02/03/10309295-jobless-rate-drops-to-lowest-level-in-almost-three-years - broken link)
after three year and four trillion dollars. we are back to where Bush left office, what a failure. the media is doing a good job at selling the great recovery if that's what they want to call it!!!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:21 AM

629 posts, read 771,820 times
Congress

Capital was sitting on the side until we got rid of peloosy and the Rpublican congress said

NO!

Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I own and drive a truck. I deliver machinery to companies. It has always been a good indicator for me as to where the economy is going. If companies are buying new equipment and upgrading, then the economy is good. If they are not buying new equipment then the economy is struggling. Right now, I am struggling to find freight to put on my trucks. Business is not investing in the future. They may well be filling positions that needed to be filled months ago but were hesitant to, but they are NOT investing heavily into their business right now. Nope, the economy is NOT at this point actually growing and we are still in a recession, irrespective of what ANY government official tells you. The one thing we know about government officials, irrespective of party, is that they LIE to suit their own agenda. Always have and always will..

Old 02-04-2012, 10:15 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Default Republicans Increasingly Worried as Economy Gathers Steam

There is nothing that spoils a Republican's mood than hearing good news about the economy:

Hiring surges in January; jobless rate at 8.3 pct. - Yahoo! Finance

It's like a dart going through their hearts. Every time they turn on the news and hear about the stock market hitting a new high or the unemployment rate dropping by another point, their mood sours. Why? Because they know that this means that President Obama's policies are working. It kills them to acknowledge this. They know that continued improvements in the economy will greatly bolster President Obama's already good chances of re-election in November.

They were hoping that more Americans would continue to suffer economically, that more people would remain unemployed with the vain hope that it might hurt the President politically. Their whole reason for choosing Romney as their candidate is the idea that he would be somehow viewed as been better able to handle the economy. However with signs of the recovery strengthening and picking up steam, the rug is been pulled from under the Republicans' feet. Romney, already a weak candidate, will look even weaker against Obama in November as his main talking point is been slowly dismantled. It doesn't help either that Romney is increasingly viewed as out-of-touch and an anathema to middle-class Americans.

There is a saying among political analysts that: "a rising tide lifts all votes". It seems like the tides are rising in Obama's favor. This is especially sweet to me as it means that good will once again conquer evil.

Last edited by NewYorkGuy; 02-04-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies