Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2012, 06:25 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,820,809 times

Advertisements

For those interested in the context of the statement.

What Makes Obama Run? | Feature | Chicago Reader

"The political debate is now so skewed, so limited, so distorted," said Obama. "People are hungry for community; they miss it. They are hungry for change.

"What if a politician were to see his job as that of an organizer," he wondered, "as part teacher and part advocate, one who does not sell voters short but who educates them about the real choices before them? As an elected public official, for instance, I could bring church and community leaders together easier than I could as a community organizer or lawyer. We would come together to form concrete economic development strategies, take advantage of existing laws and structures, and create bridges and bonds within all sectors of the community. We must form grass-root structures that would hold me and other elected officials more accountable for their actions.

"The right wing, the Christian right, has done a good job of building these organizations of accountability, much better than the left or progressive forces have. But it's always easier to organize around intolerance, narrow-mindedness, and false nostalgia. And they also have hijacked the higher moral ground with this language of family values and moral responsibility.

"Now we have to take this same language—these same values that are encouraged within our families—of looking out for one another, of sharing, of sacrificing for each other—and apply them to a larger society. Let's talk about creating a society, not just individual families, based on these values. Right now we have a society that talks about the irresponsibility of teens getting pregnant, not the irresponsibility of a society that fails to educate them to aspire for more."
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 06:35 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,295,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"President Obama once accused the Christian right of intolerance and narrow-mindedness and alleged the Christian right had “hijacked the moral high ground,” according to a story published in 1995 and recently revisted."

Read more: UNEARTHED: Acid-Tongue Obama on Christian Right - Barack Obama - Fox Nation

Makes his latest assault on the Catholic Church more understandable, doesn't it.
Bull.

What he is saying is that the Christian right, isn't very Christian.

Anyone who understands anything about the real practice of Christianity already knew that.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:56 PM

24,348 posts, read 22,903,146 times
Obama's a hypocrite himself. he attened that hate churchg in Chicago only as a means for political purposes and barely attends any religious functions in DC. Now he can pretend to be religious now that the election is getting in gear. Somebody post a link where he criticizes the moslem religion, they're more aggregious than the catholics by a long shot. The secular far left is always claiming the moral high ground when they're as intolerant as any on the religious right.

Old 02-04-2012, 06:57 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,196,813 times
Quote:
if you look at the other three leading GOP candidates, including Paul, Romney and Santorum, their family values are exemplary.)
As are Obama's. Most people recognize that, even if they disagree with his politics.

Also, the Christian Right is not the entirety of Christians by any means.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:01 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,856,328 times
Quote:
"President Obama once accused the Christian right of intolerance and narrow-mindedness and alleged the Christian right had “hijacked the moral high ground,” according to a story published in 1995 and recently revisted."

Read more: UNEARTHED: Acid-Tongue Obama on Christian Right - Barack Obama - Fox Nation

Makes his latest assault on the Catholic Church more understandable, doesn't it.
He was correct to call out the far Christian right, they are what he said they were what I find funny is they take it as an insult, especially since it seemed to be their intention and the shoe fit so nicely.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:14 PM

1,677 posts, read 1,662,935 times
Quote:
yeah, what a hypocrite.

On hiking taxes:

"For me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus's teaching that for unto whom much is given, much shall be required," Obama said, quoting the Gospel of Luke.
Obama links Jesus and politics at prayer breakfast - San Francisco Bay Area Moderate Conservative | Examiner.com

On being the chosen one:

Obama: But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth and carrying out His works."
http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck2/2007/11/

Again on being the chosen one:

“I know that I don’t walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what He intends,” Obama said.
Obama slams Thomas; McCain slip may haunt - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com

Old 02-04-2012, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Obama's a hypocrite himself. he attened that hate churchg in Chicago only as a means for political purposes and barely attends any religious functions in DC. Now he can pretend to be religious now that the election is getting in gear. Somebody post a link where he criticizes the moslem religion, they're more aggregious than the catholics by a long shot. The secular far left is always claiming the moral high ground when they're as intolerant as any on the religious right.
I don't think Obama was targeting Catholics. I think you will find Catholics all across the political spectrum.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet_ohara View Post
yeah, what a hypocrite.

On hiking taxes:

"For me as a Christian, it also coincides with Jesus's teaching that for unto whom much is given, much shall be required," Obama said, quoting the Gospel of Luke.
Obama links Jesus and politics at prayer breakfast - San Francisco Bay Area Moderate Conservative | Examiner.com

On being the chosen one:

Obama: But kneeling beneath that cross on the South Side, I felt I heard God's spirit beckoning me. I submitted myself to His will, and dedicated myself to discovering His truth and carrying out His works."
http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck2/2007/11/

Again on being the chosen one:

“I know that I don’t walk alone, and I know that if I can get myself out of the way, that I can maybe carry out in some small way what He intends,” Obama said.
Obama slams Thomas; McCain slip may haunt - Carrie Budoff Brown - POLITICO.com
How do any of these links demonstrate that Obama is a Hypocrite?

Old 02-04-2012, 07:46 PM

24,869 posts, read 24,295,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Sarcasm | Define Sarcasm at Dictionary.com

sar·casm   [sahr-kaz-uhm] Show IPA
noun
harsh or bitter derision or irony.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:42 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,629,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
OK. Phony.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies