Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2007, 05:52 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THASPECIAL View Post
I would say there are lots of reasons to lie on the internet.....but as far as people doing things for themselves i agree that you need to make an effort but some people actually need help sometimes......well not everyone has that little helping hand from a family member or friend or even got that foot in the door in a nice job so they need assistance from the government......when i was a little kid living in those places with little to nothing "i needed" assistance.....because i was only a kid and my parents couldnt afford a babysitter so both couldnt work at the same time and they had a car that always overheated and actually ended up breaking down in which we ended up in a shelter for a while because there was no way to work .....i remember being really little learning how to put water in the radiator so the car wouldnt overheat.....they didnt have the time for college because of watching us while the other was working full time just barely making money for rent in public housing......ill even put a pic up on my homepage on myspace for ya to show you what i was wearing back in the day when i was poor as a kid....then you could put some pics of the rough upbringing you had that you didnt need assistance from

check under my homepage after you click on my name

I didnt know i was poor growing up until we started having things when i got older but i was always a happy kid for the most part
I never claimed to have a rough upbringing. What I said was that I went to those schools that are considered to be subpar educationally and that my neighborhood had drug dealers and liquor stores on the corner. Just some of the common cop outs for some people.

I understand that some people will need assistance sometimes, what I do not understand is why complete generations of families are allowed to continue on welfare, just having more babies and never being required to work. That is the flaw with the system.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
"In what way am I sounding bitter?"

Let's see...

"Maybe it is just that the people, who have had to go through what others complain is holding them back, just want everyone to know that those that don't rise above are just using the fact that they grew up in The Bronx or Compton as a crutch."

You sound pretty angry at your fellow Bronx-ites here, maybe I over-extrapolated this one statement into a sense of overall resentment toward those who depend on welfare at any time, which is apparently always because they "choose not to work," "choose to be poor," "choose to be disadvantaged," you know, "it's all your fault, everything that happens to you is always your fault," that kind of rhetoric sounds kind of bitter and vindictive to me is all, the idea that poverty is somehow something only poor people should care about.

"I just think that non stop welfare is wrong and people should rely upon themselves to make things better in their lives rather than expecting a step up becuase of the color of their skin."

The U.S. hasn't had any type of non-stop welfare in the last 10 years, at least. And poverty has gone up since then, rather than decreasing.

"And why would I lie about where I grew up and being shot?"

I'm not saying you would lie about it, but the anecdotal story that contradicts the other person's argument is always useful in making a point, even if it doesn't serve as a very solid argument for generalizing large groups of people, since anecdotal "evidence" can be found for almost any phenomenon within the realm of physical possiblity, whether real or unreal, true or untrue.

"You may want to look at your own posts before saying someone else is bitter."

The only thing that makes me bitter is when people forget to flush the ****ter, murderous babysitters and I tried but I couldn't out wit her, ye olde social darwinist bile spitter, also Dowd Ritter, who I think is an actual person, or at least I've heard that name before, somewhere.
There is a difference between feeling strongly in one's own position and being bitter. I just feel strongly in regard to my position on this subject.

As I stated in my last post, I have no problem with public assistance as a temporary helping hand but I have a big problem with public assistance as a lifelong crutch.

As far as your statement that there has been no non stop welfare in the last 10 years you are dead wrong. Just because families have to reapply at certain intervals or change back and forth from one program to another does not mean it is not non stop.

As far as my past, you can leave it out of the posts from here on. I don't care if you believe me or not. It will not change my position either way.

Dowd Ritter was the CEO for AMSOUTH BANK

Old 09-16-2007, 06:17 AM

1,352 posts, read 6,273,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I never claimed to have a rough upbringing. What I said was that I went to those schools that are considered to be subpar educationally and that my neighborhood had drug dealers and liquor stores on the corner. Just some of the common cop outs for some people.

I understand that some people will need assistance sometimes, what I do not understand is why complete generations of families are allowed to continue on welfare, just having more babies and never being required to work. That is the flaw with the system.
I Hear ya man...im not trying to make enemies on here.....

Old 09-18-2007, 07:54 PM

2 posts, read 3,608 times
if any one here believes that white people are discriminated against in this country, i would like to offer my sympathy to them, because they are pitiful, to say the least, and us blacks can only hope that they hate the feeling of being discriminated againstand they should hurry up and write to the nearest congressman and ask them to push for reparations for the blacks immediately, because not only are blacks discriminated against in this country now, they have been since it's initial colonization, being listed in the constitution as 3/5 of a person, when all are supposed to be equal, jim crow, rodney king, martin luther king (why does he need a holiday?) to hide the fact that the u.s. is not the land of the free, it is the land of the slave. so in closing i would just like to say that yes some whites have been discriminated against, it is true...(sucks don't it) just try having it happen so much that you become paranoid and the racists hide behind that and screw with you even more. it's also true that most black on white crime is racially motivated. blacks worldwide hate whites for what the whites have done, and are extremely jealous of the wealth that whites possess, mostly because they know that the whites stole it.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:17 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,397,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoud
they have been since it's initial colonization, being listed in the constitution as 3/5 of a person
You realize that being listed as "3/5" of a person HELPED the anti-slavery movement, right? That otherwise "slave states" with a large population of non-voting blacks would have had more power vis-a-vis the free-states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoud
it's also true that most black on white crime is racially motivated. blacks worldwide hate whites for what the whites have done, and are extremely jealous of the wealth that whites possess, mostly because they know that the whites stole it.

And the board welcomes our newest Angry Black Male(TM). Please take your seat in the "painfully predictable platitude" room across aisle from the Disaafected White People(TM) section.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:19 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawoud View Post
if any one here believes that white people are discriminated against in this country, i would like to offer my sympathy to them, because they are pitiful, to say the least, and us blacks can only hope that they hate the feeling of being discriminated againstand they should hurry up and write to the nearest congressman and ask them to push for reparations for the blacks immediately, because not only are blacks discriminated against in this country now, they have been since it's initial colonization, being listed in the constitution as 3/5 of a person, when all are supposed to be equal, jim crow, rodney king, martin luther king (why does he need a holiday?) to hide the fact that the u.s. is not the land of the free, it is the land of the slave. so in closing i would just like to say that yes some whites have been discriminated against, it is true...(sucks don't it) just try having it happen so much that you become paranoid and the racists hide behind that and screw with you even more. it's also true that most black on white crime is racially motivated. blacks worldwide hate whites for what the whites have done, and are extremely jealous of the wealth that whites possess, mostly because they know that the whites stole it.
The greatest irony is that you likely lump all fair-skinned people into the "white" category but the unfortunate truth is that there are multitudes of ways to differentiate and then to discriminate even within this category. We're not all wealthy (in fact statistics show the vast majority are in debt right now), nor do we all have hunky dory jobs, great educations, inheritances of any kind, business/political or even social connections to even smallest spheres of influence. Lastly if you come from the wrong family or heritage you can most certainly find yourself in the same uphill battle for financial security and stability that you and others would characterize unique to black people.

The fundamental and succinct truth is that the grass isn't greener on the other side. Everyone has their challenges and issues today. Everyone has baggage that their heritage and own lifetime may have accumulated and all you can do is try to lift yourself above it with persistence and a positive outlook (no matter how challenging this may be). Ultimately, you won't find happiness via wealth nor via things given to you but instead happiness most certainly only comes from within.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:26 PM

Quote:

Reparations? You mean free money for doing absolutely nothing.

I never owned a slave nor did any of my ancestors since they came to the USA. Why should anyone be expected to pay reparations, what will it accomplish? Absolutely nothing.

I am also trying to discipher the Rodney King reference. What does a repeat felon, drug addict have to do with this.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:43 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,210 times
Goodness, with all do respect, these conversations simply get out of hand.

Robert's Rules of Order dictate my saying:

"Out of Order" or "Point of Order"...

These endless side debates are not on topic & should be addressed in another thread, if you'd like to start it.

Old 09-18-2007, 10:03 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,554,441 times
Quote:
I'll give you 1/3 credit---some frustration is understandable. But frustration can lead to the abandonment of common sense. "Reparations" would just plain be unworkable. Actually, we've had 4 decades of at least an ATTEMPT at reparations, and that is the civil rights movement, AA, and many comparable efforts. Not perfect, perhaps, but puts America's "mistreated minorities" miles ahead of any other nation's "victims".

How could you possibly administer reparations? Sheer nonsense. Think of the following--
(1) How would you determine exactly WHO was victimized? (no actual victims or "offenders" are still alive)---
(2) What about the descendants of black slave owners? Would they be paid? or charged?
(3) What about mixed-race people-- should they get "partial payment"?
(4) What about blacks (such as Colin Powell and Louis Farrakhan) whose ancestors immigrated here AFTER emancipation? And ALL Caribbean and African blacks arriving here after 1865.?
(5)_What about whites whose ancestors arrived her after emanipation? Would they be exempt from paying? How would this be determined?
(6) What about Hispanics, Asians, or other folks neither black nor white?

It's so silly a proposition that it couldn't possibly be administered fairly or evenly.

Lastly, my wife is an American Indian--does she get a cut? After all "she" was badly swindled in a pretty serious real-estate scam. Who pays for that?...

Old 09-18-2007, 10:07 PM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,408 times
Well, if nothing else these latest posts are clear evidence that racism is alive and well.

It's interesting to note how important history is to the identity of traditionalists - this is a nation founded on Christian values, back in the day before the women's lib. movement, when families were wholesome and healthy and women didn't work, and all that. Tradition, ya know: "a long-established or inherited way of thinking or acting." In other words, from history.

-White people have a long and proud history to look back on, to identify with (and that continues to inform their identity).

-Black people have 3/5 of a person and Jim Crow to look back on, forced slavery and inherited poverty.

And you wonder why there's still a problem? Get real, people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies