Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 11:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,209 times

Advertisements

This one brought out some KKK-David Duke type discussion, now didn't it...

Old 09-04-2007, 11:43 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
So in the sake of diversity, and "leveling the playing field," so to speak, other races are given a slight bump in areas where they may under-perform.

What that bump has done is lowered the test scores needed to attend college. How is that worthy to America?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:46 PM

The LOWERING of test scores is the problem with this. If you are not smart enough so be it.
Colleges should be raising the bar nor lowering it for anyone!

Old 09-04-2007, 11:53 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
The LOWERING of test scores is the problem with this. If you are not smart enough so be it.
Colleges should be raising the bar nor lowering it for anyone!
the problem though goes far beyond college level. Many minorities in inner cities do not have the same education available to them as many white suburban area's. So if blacks have lower test scores than whites.. it probably indicates that somewhere before these kids got to the college level.. they have been left behind. We as americans cannot claim to be great and smart as whole when this problem exists. We are only as good as our lowest... and if that takes lowering test scores so they can attend to better themselves considering the lack of advantage many had previously, then I say its a good thing.. BUT not a fix.. the real problem is when and where did we go wrong that minorities have lower test scores? last time I checked.. humans are humans and we all have the same capacity to learn no matter what race we are... so.. who's doing who wrong?

Old 09-04-2007, 11:58 PM

If you are not smart enough to get into the college that you want there are other colleges or better yet vocational or trade colleges.
The bar to enter college should never be lowered. EVER! For anyone.
That is such bull S**t.
Yes there are schools that do not teach well. Look to the Governor of your state and demand better teaching programs.
The thing as a parent that I find crazy is that there is not a straight across the board teaching program in this country. So someone that moves to another state may be ahead or behind the students they are among. Its is wrong.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 2,510 times
White, Black, Hispanic, Asian.... Every group has to eat thier fair share of crap. To assume that any group has to more than others is crazy.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:02 AM

There are plenty of whites that cannot keep up with the necessary entries for college. It was only until someone thought that more minorities should be in college that it should change. again Bul***t!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
Hey "GuyFromTN". You say "Whites Built this Country."

They may have written the checks, but lots of people did the building. White people in this country have benefited from slave labor, indentured servants, underpaid labor, exploited labor, and a wide variety of other strong backs and arms of every race, color, and creed. Some white. Some black. Some every other color out there.

That's nothing to feel bad or ashamed over, and maybe nothing we can readily address now, but the sense of entitlement has got to go... across the board! There is no divine right anymore, in case you haven't noticed. The playing field has never been level, and has only approached level for the past 40 years or so. There's still a long way to go.

Some of the points you make are valid. The black community should do more to help its citizens. There should be standards in school that don't take race into account. However, are you really suggesting that white people are more intelligent than other races? Based on tests written by... white people? I look around the world and see that people of every race have done amazing things. We are still living in a white-dominated world (not in terms of numbers... from the sociological standpoint, minority and majority can refer to level of control rather than actual numbers...) but that's only for now. White people, myself included, did not get to this place by being racially superior. We got here by being (in no particular order) lucky, capable, smart, driven, Machiavellian, enterprising, underhanded, cruel, hopeful, optimistic, greedy, ruthless, and inventive. We did NOT get here by being white.

Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 AM

64 posts, read 132,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
ast time I checked.. humans are humans and we all have the same capacity to learn no matter what race we are... so.. who's doing who wrong?
Where did you check? I have seen no evidence to suggest that are NOT differences in intelligence, mental capacity, memory, etc between populations (in fact, it doesn't even seem logical that there would not be variation -- much like breeds of dogs vary on temperament, aggression, intelligence, etc).

Old 09-05-2007, 12:16 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
There are plenty of whites that cannot keep up with the necessary entries for college. It was only until someone thought that more minorities should be in college that it should change. again Bul***t!
I'm not saying that its right or wrong, I'm just stating why it happens, and you're right.. there are white students who do not get access to good education and they are unable to place into a college. Programs need to be extended to EVERYONE who is treated unfairly BEFORE they get to college entry. Now with that said, statistically, white students do not have as hard of a time as other minorities, and that is why they are getting attention. It is true that it further divides the country to always look at it from a race standpoint, but when the inequality inacted first was based on race issues.. the solution has to have something to do with race as well.. BUT is this the correct way to go about it? I don't think so either... in fact I agree with you that there needs to be a set standard across the nation so that a student in Seattle is not getting a better or worse education than someone in alabama, but that goes against what republicans typically go for. They leave education up to the state, and its only natural that given time.. some states will outperform others, then what do we do to help the struggling states or areas? and WHY are they not performing as well? I really think that a republic worked well in times of rome when lack of communication on a daily basis was the norm. But, in this day in age with communication and resources available to all freely and openly it comes down to ONE NATION.. and certain things must be ONE.. and education is one of them. This might be an issue that you would side with democrats on Miborn... I don't know.. but I think this is an example that not all of us are RED or BLUE. Everytime I hear a politician say "I believe the states should decide" I can't help but think... they are just passing the buck on to some other chumps because they don't know how or are too scared to tackle the issue on the grand national scale in fear of it making them look bad. Unfortunately Republicans who have been in control most of the later part of last century have been all about.. "leaving it up to the states" and so here we sit with poorly educated whites in idaho, and poorly educated blacks in mississippi... and inner chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies