Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 08:05 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
From the crime that was described I think an exorcism could be in order, but nah, can't get close enough to her to actually do one.
Agreed. She really seems demented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 08:15 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,012,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Counseling won't change her.

You're likely right; sociopaths are so narcissistic that they perceive any change within themselves as death of the self, and resist it at all costs. I would still agree with ChocLot in that she needs to be in a psychiatric setting for life. What she did at 15 was horrific, but she was still far too young and ill to be held responsible and liable for a death sentence. As LML said, there are potential victims if she's freed, and those victims could be other inmates if she's incarcerated. Clearly she needs a regulated environment and medications. My heart goes out to the 9 year-old victim, her family and friends.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:23 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,910,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
You're likely right; sociopaths are so narcissistic that they perceive any change within themselves as death of the self, and resist it at all costs. I would still agree with ChocLot in that she needs to be in a psychiatric setting for life. What she did at 15 was horrific, but she was still far too young and ill to be held responsible and liable for a death sentence. As LML said, there are potential victims if she's freed, and those victims could be other inmates if she's incarcerated. Clearly she needs a regulated environment and medications. My heart goes out to the 9 year-old victim, her family and friends.
This sorry excuse for a human girl is a psychopath, not a sociopath. It was a horrific crime, no sense of remorse, it was premeditated and there was every indication that the crime it was rehearsed prior.

Evil exists in this world and this is one example of its appearance. Fifteen is not too young to be held accountable for cold blooded murder. Sorry if that offends anyone's sensibilities. A life sentence for the criminally insane, no chance for parole, IMO. YMMV

IIRC teens as young as 15 have been tried as adults before. However, I don't believe any in Missouri have been girls, yet (not that it should make a difference).

Last edited by lifelongMOgal; 02-06-2012 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-06-2012, 08:31 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,186,833 times
She wanted to know what it felt like to kill someone, now she can find out what it feels like to spend the rest of her life behind bars with no chance of getting out...

Old 02-06-2012, 08:48 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,270 times
Alright, I am a "bleeding heart liberal" although I have never understood why being labeled "compassionate" was an insult.

The rational part of me wants to say that a 15-year old is a minor and thus, should be treated as such. If we want to bestow the mental maturity on minors that would suggest that they are fully capable of understanding their actions, then we might as well set a new age at which a person is legally considered an adult. You can't be considered to be an adult only some of the time.

That rational part of me also wants to argue that this girl can and should be rehabilitated - if possible.

The compassionate part of me wants to say that this girl needs to get life in prison. Such a sentence would be compassionate in regards to the parents of the victim - since the girl would be locked up for the rest of her life; and it would also be compassionate in regards to a, then, 15-year old girl by sparing her life.

As the parent of a little girl myself (and imagining what her actions would have done to me and my family), I just want to put a gun to her head and pull the trigger. Better yet, make it a slow and painful death - let's see if death is still enjoyable. Alas, that's the emotional part of me - the part that fully embraces the idea of vengeance.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:00 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,582,949 times
Quote:
She was 15 when she committed the crime. Do you all really think someone should be eligible for the death penalty for something they did when they were 15?
If they're as psycho as this kid...yes.

About two decades ago here in New York, there was a kid by the name of Willie Bosket. He hadn't even reached 15 at the time--used to walk up to people and shoot them in the back of the head at point-blank range. Said it was a lot of fun.

New York State had to amend its death penalty law on account of this monster, so that now, if you commit an adult crime, you can be tried and convicted as an adult.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:07 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,451,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
If they're as psycho as this kid...yes.

About two decades ago here in New York, there was a kid by the name of Willie Bosket. He hadn't even reached 15 at the time--used to walk up to people and shoot them in the back of the head at point-blank range. Said it was a lot of fun.

New York State had to amend its death penalty law on account of this monster, so that now, if you commit an adult crime, you can be tried and convicted as an adult.
New York State doesn't have the death penalty at all.

Anyway - I NEVER said this girl shouldn't be tried as an adult. I think she should be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. I just don't think someone should be sentenced to death for something they did at 15.

The Supreme Court ruled the death penalty unconstitutional for people who were under the age of 16 when they committed their crime about twenty years ago and expanded that to anyone who was under 18 when they committed their crime more recently.

Even Texas - which executes far more murderers than any other state - had a minimum age of 17 to be eligible for the death penalty before the SCOTUS ruling required it to be raised to 18.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 02-06-2012 at 09:33 PM..

Old 02-06-2012, 09:10 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,270 times
Quote:
I think she should be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole. I just don't think someone should be sentenced to death for something they did at 15.

The Supreme Court ruled the death penalty unconstitutional for people who were under the age of 16 when they committed their crime about twenty years ago and expanded that to anyone who was under 18 when they committed their crime more recently.
To me, this seems quite sensible.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:12 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,004 times
Quote:
She was 15 when she committed the crime. Do you all really think someone should be eligible for the death penalty for something they did when they were 15?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
That would depend on whether you're a bleeding heart lib or not!

Then again .. Even a liberal would probably say 'yes' IF it were one of 'their' children .. IF it were anyone else's .. not so much!
I'm a liberal. You sound like an idiot. Stop talking.

Old 02-06-2012, 09:13 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,735,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Mental institution, until they are not a threat to society, or they die, whichever comes first.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies