Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 06:21 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,769,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Be thankful you have a job. Those getting RIFed are going to have a hard time finding employment at any wage. You have enviable benefits in the military that you will never equal in the private sector. The military must be your first job.
And you know that I have a job and what benefits I have how? More so, are you assuming that I'm in the military??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
It's a civilian thing...
Really?? Then it must be something a bored civilian does. I'm a civilian and I surely don't scrutinize every post looking for a typo or misspelled word.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
They're not special; they're not fighting for our "freedoms"
Not special?? I bet every vet or person serving in the miliary on C-D will be happy to know that. I guess that can be said for those who served in every war that has taken place where the US was involved, especially WWI, WWII, and the Korean War.

I hope the day never comes when the US is threatened with a real war and doesn't have to call on these "not so special people" to defend it.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I propose that if your in a hostile zone for Big Business Interests, you should be paid the same as a CEO, since your risking life and limb, much more than the CEO is willing to risk.
Good point....and what war aren't we in that isn't making some CEO lots of money.....

Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 AM

645 posts, read 1,962,188 times
I'm in the military and have deployed 4 times and these changed are definitely needed. The Op is quick to bash President Obama but in that article that the op linked to it doesn't even say what the changes are. Basically, the change are that hostile fire and imminent duty pay will now be prorated based on how long you were actually in the area. Previously, if you were in the area for 1 day you would get the maximum amount, same is somebody that was in the area for 31 days. Now it is prorated based on how many days you are actually in the area.

Quote:
Military Update: Defense bill has gains, losses in benefits - News - Stripes

"Pro-rated war zone pay

This move won’t be popular. To curb abuses in payment of hostile fire pay, imminent danger pay and associated tax breaks, the services will begin to pro-rate those pays, as well as hazardous duty pay, assignment pay and skill incentive pay, based on actual days of qualifying service each month. Currently, full monthly payments are made if members crewing aircraft or visiting from headquarters spend as little as a day a month in a war zone or danger area.

Lawmakers heard allegations of people manipulating the system, even arranging schedules, for personal benefit, explained one Capitol Hill source."

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 AM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times
Quote:
Are you of the opinion that service members should receive such hazard premiums when they are not in a hostile environment?

There will be no need to bring back the draft in these troubled economic times. The millitary is a paid job with benefits that many would like to have.
So, if they are able to get a week vacation, away from the battle zone, take away the hazard premium? The amount of accounting time to do this would cost more than leaving it in place...

Old 02-07-2012, 06:37 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,113,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
This coming from someone who never served in the military to protect HIS country. Or..................is the US really "his" country??? What's next - bring back the draft???

Hostile Fire and Imminent Danger Pay | Military.com
I'd like to know your opinion of military bigwigs who retire with more money than when they served....Obama didn't do that......

BTW, serving in the military doesn't make anyone MORE of a citizen......Americans who have never been in the military still have free speech and all the rights the military has....even DICK Cheney, Karl Rove, etc.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:54 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times
Quote:
I'm a civilian
I was mistaken, my bad.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:56 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,154,382 times
Quote:
those who served in every war that has taken place where the US was involved, especially WWI, WWII, and the Korean War.
Don't forget Vietnam. I was there.

Old 02-07-2012, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Are you of the opinion that service members should receive such hazard premiums when they are not in a hostile environment?
They should not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies