Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 08:36 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,655,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Why can't faith based institutions practice their faith ? Why do you want the government forcing them to go against their faith ?

When it's the other way around though...some of you are the first to scream.

You don't want religion interfering with government yet you seem to be ok with government interfering with religion.

I think that the minute the Catholic Church and its entities decide to decline receipt of any federal funding (of which they receive tons of in various forms), then they will have the freedoms to practice their faith in full.

I agree that it must be quite distasteful to the Catholic Church to pay for health insurance premiums for people that might eventually go to pay for contraceptives. I get that. But the minute you accept federal funding, you put yourself under certain restrictions dictated by the one who gives you that funding.

For instance, my son's Catholic school system accepts federal funding. As such, they are not allowed to discriminate regarding who can attend the school. They must accept all people into their school and cannot discriminate based on race, religion, gender. If they accepted NO funding from the outside, they would have a lot more say in what they could do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 08:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,460,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I think that the minute the Catholic Church and its entities decide to decline receipt of any federal funding (of which they receive tons of in various forms), then they will have the freedoms to practice their faith in full.

I agree that it must be quite distasteful to the Catholic Church to pay for health insurance premiums for people that might eventually go to pay for contraceptives. I get that. But the minute you accept federal funding, you put yourself under certain restrictions dictated by the one who gives you that funding.

For instance, my son's Catholic school system accepts federal funding. As such, they are not allowed to discriminate regarding who can attend the school. They must accept all people into their school and cannot discriminate based on race, religion, gender. If they accepted NO funding from the outside, they would have a lot more say in what they could do.
Yes, I agree with you. If they accept Fed dollars then they must bow to Fed mandates. You can't pick and choose when someone hands you money.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 AM

19,021 posts, read 14,196,312 times
What is wrong with "all {......} should be taxed" !?

Governments instituted to SECURE RIGHTS have no delegation of power to TAX RIGHTS that they secure. If they DID have power to tax rights, they could diminish those rights, by taxation.

It is an axiom of American government that rights cannot be subject to tax.

So only government PRIVILEGES are subject to tax.

Next point: what converted your right to life and thus the right to do any harmless action into a privilege subject to an excise tax?

THAT is the question "they" don't want you to ask them.

How did your right to labor, to own, to trade (buy and sell), operate a business, travel, fly, transmit, cut hair, treat the sick, trade in medicine, build a house, marry and own a dog become a privilege requiring license (permission from government) and / or a tax?

Don't look at me !
Ask THEM....

Old 02-07-2012, 08:42 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,933,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Religion is not above the law.
I believe that all cults should be taxed.
Would that include Planned Parent Hood, also!!

Old 02-07-2012, 08:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
First if you take the money you sold out your rights to complain about conditions.

Second you have to follow the law regardless of your religion.

Third - IMHO there are no "original sins".

Old 02-07-2012, 08:56 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
I love how Catholic priest are acting so indignant. What a group. I have not seen many women talking on TV though We men sure like making decisions for them.
So, you do not approve of other cultures? Is that your point?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
First if you take the money you sold out your rights to complain about conditions.

Second you have to follow the law regardless of your religion.

Third - IMHO there are no "original sins".
There is no law saying birth control must be available at schools.
There is no law saying every hospital must perform abortions.

Now I will agree that if you accept Federal dollars and the Fed says you have to do these things then these religious institutions must abide.
If they made their deal with the devil then they must live with the consequences.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:10 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,169,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Are they not doing that already?
Not for these guys.

List of secularist organizations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Atheist Community of Austin (TX) is a nonprofit educational corporation to develop and support the atheist community, promote secular viewpoints, encourage positive atheist culture, to defend the first amendment principle of state-church separation, and fight anti-atheist discrimination. It broadcasts and streams online The Atheist Experience, a weekly general-interest atheist television program[16] and the Non Prophets online radio/podcast biweekly.

Atheists for Humanity, a 501 c(3) charity non-profit dedicated to raising money for secular charities and the destigmatization of atheists and athiesm.

Fellowship of Freethought "To create a positive impact on our shared world, our mission is to provide a community that values and promotes a freethinking life unencumbered by the biases of tradition, dogma, and authority and that encourages people to live a reason and evidence-based life characterized by close fellowship, ethical contemplation, critical thinking, community service, and the appreciation of scientific knowledge and understanding of the universe and our place in it."[19]

Old 02-07-2012, 09:12 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,807,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
When you get rid of all the religions the only "god" left is the government to tell you what is right or wrong.
Would you prefer the God of the Sharia law to tell you what is right or wrong?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Would you prefer the God of the Sharia law to tell you what is right or wrong?
Is Sharia law the only religion you know of ?

The US has separation of Church and State. It should work both ways.
If you want Sharia law then move to the ME.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies