U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:14 AM

21,477 posts, read 11,591,826 times

Advertisements

Excellent read.

Naked Liberty*|*Search Results
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 10:32 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,413,262 times
Amazing isnt it.

I don't think most Americans understand the fact that the current American military is the best that has ever been seen on any battle field in human history.

Sad to think how our Leaders have squandered this fact over the last 60 years. Yet the American fighting spirit still seems to shine through.

The attributes that this blog post points out is what gives every potential American enemy around the world nightmares.

China, North Korea, Russia, Iran are all second and third rate military powers in comparison. A fact of which they are very aware.

Best thing we can do as Civilians for our Warriors is to give them a CINC that they can be proud and that will be proud of them.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM

26,552 posts, read 19,023,480 times
that was a great read, thanks.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:01 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,040,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Excellent post, it even makes me re-consider my opinion of French soldiers

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

21,477 posts, read 11,591,826 times
Personally, I think the young generation is very comparible to my parent's generation--aka "the greatest generation". Look at what we have handed them. High tuition which equals high student loan debt. 2 or 3 wars going on depending upon what day of the week. No promise of a retirement. No health care. No promise of social security but they have to pay in. My daughter is 26 years old, works 2 jobs so she can pay off her student loans. Her husband served two tours in Iraq with the Marines and when not on combat patrol he was completing a BA degree on line. Now he's home and he also is working two jobs so they can get a house. They have this unbelievable optimism. Nothing bothers them. Sometimes it breaks my heart when I see how hard they work and what they've been through.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,489,597 times
Very nice article!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:22 AM

3,847 posts, read 3,967,778 times
Problem is, we don't differentiate much from soldiers to military members. Vet's preference for a six tour Iraq/Afghan soldier with an amputation, is the same as a 4yr slacker who spent his time in Kentucky and gets a monthly check for life due to sleep apnea!

And the vast majority of military members never go into harm's way.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:24 AM

32,532 posts, read 30,641,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Personally, I think the young generation is very comparible to my parent's generation--aka "the greatest generation". Look at what we have handed them. High tuition which equals high student loan debt. 2 or 3 wars going on depending upon what day of the week. No promise of a retirement. No health care. No promise of social security but they have to pay in. My daughter is 26 years old, works 2 jobs so she can pay off her student loans. Her husband served two tours in Iraq with the Marines and when not on combat patrol he was completing a BA degree on line. Now he's home and he also is working two jobs so they can get a house. They have this unbelievable optimism. Nothing bothers them. Sometimes it breaks my heart when I see how hard they work and what they've been through.
So much for that entire generation being a bunch of whining slackers. There are those, but I see (and know) MANY more that are like your daughter and her husband.

It gives me great hope. Thanks for sharing that. (BTW: Unbelievable optomism? Hard work? Higher education? Some of that came from parents who set a good example. )

Old 02-07-2012, 11:31 AM

25,235 posts, read 14,040,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Problem is, we don't differentiate much from soldiers to military members. Vet's preference for a six tour Iraq/Afghan soldier with an amputation, is the same as a 4yr slacker who spent his time in Kentucky and gets a monthly check for life due to sleep apnea!

And the vast majority of military members never go into harm's way.
Just so you know, those of us that did go into harms way, could have never done it without the support of many other soldiers working to keep them supplied and the wheels moving, and to take care of us that did get harmed. I do not now, nor have I ever looked down on the support troops, yes we did have not so nice ways of refering to them such as REMFs, but the reality is they perfomed a vital service and we respected their service. FYI, today even a clerk can end up in a combat zone by simply driving down the road in some places in the world, and injured or dead is the same no matter what MOS you have.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:38 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,731,534 times
Good article!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies