Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM

2,301 posts, read 2,031,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Or is the purpose of government to protect liberty?

Quote by Thomas Jefferson: "The purpose of government is to enable the people..."

So does this mean that Jefferson would be happy with today's federal government?
I'll do the shocking thing (for this website) and not mention liberals or conservatives either negatively or positively.

The purpose of government can very with who you ask. There is no wrong answer. However, almost always will be included the formation of some sort of protective resolution against foreign powers. Other common government functions are the formation of some basic infrastructure such as roads, implementing laws, and employing individuals to enforce those laws.

There you go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2012, 08:07 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,802,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Ironically, it is the very same constitution written by those founding fathers which has afforded the most freedom and protection to blacks.
Yep, like 3/5 of a person is better than 0/5 of a person.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,714,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Or is the purpose of government to protect liberty?

Quote by Thomas Jefferson: "The purpose of government is to enable the people..."

So does this mean that Jefferson would be happy with today's federal government?
The two are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes social change results in increased liberty. Liberty is a 'state of being', so to speak, and social change is one potential method of reaching that state. Sometimes, social change moves us away from liberty, perhaps towards security, or some other goal.

That said, government's role is to interpret and implement the will of the people. Liberty is one of the primary goals of "the people", but it is not the only one. Things like police and fire, for example, restrict our liberties by making us pay taxes. We're exchanging a little bit of liberty for a lot of security.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,735,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, I could care less what a slave owner who believed in the inherent inferiority of African people; who was an agronomic anti-industrialist would think 200 years after his death.
/thread.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,735,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that was a common accepted belief back then and a worldwide belief even by the slave traders in Africa.

You cannot and should not judge history using today's standards.
Then you shouldn't be trying to use his 18th century logic (the quote the OP provided) in a 21st century society.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,802,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And that was a common accepted belief back then and a worldwide belief even by the slave traders in Africa.

You cannot and should not judge history using today's standards.
There goes the idea of "taking this nation to its founding principles".

Old 02-08-2012, 08:29 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,178,378 times
If leaders with a list of things they want to enact are elected by the majority - than yes, of course they should enact those items.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Perhaps you'd care to show me where I said I disliked him?

Unlike you, I guess, an individual can display hypocrisy without drawing my contempt.

You took a comparative comment I made regarding you holding up Jefferson while railing against hypocrisy. I simply called you on it. But you keep searching the stands for that homerun ball to throw back, mmmmkay? If you're nice I'll sign it for you...
I'm still waiting for you to address the question instead of displaying your hatred of the Founding Fathers. Perhaps the question is too difficult for you to understand?

Old 02-08-2012, 04:53 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,422 times
Hitler thought so.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:38 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
If, and only if, you are black, I could understand your sentiment. Based on your name, I assume you are. If your namesake was alive today it would be interesting to hear his thoughts.
It would, wouldn't it? He was murdered by a Democrat by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies