Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 12:16 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Detroit has been bad for years and years it just gets pockets of worse thrown in. When you keep people poor and uneducated for the most part this is what happens.
Why would you say they are being kept poor and uneducated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 12:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Why would you say they are being kept poor and uneducated?
I know Detroit pretty well, and i wouldn't say that it's the case that folks are being kept poor and uneducated.

It's also not Liberalism at work, or any of that political crap. It has nothing to do with politics.

Detroit went into decline because the city had a mass evacuation....not "white flight" which most people attribute it's problems to. That evacuation was black and white.

It's simple. The industry you live by will kill you when it no longer exists. You die by what you live by. Every industry down to the restaurants were dependent on auto worker paychecks. Even church's have bailed on the city because of reduced membership and no money for facility upkeep. The Catholic Church has several churches and properties in the city for sale right now. They too were dependent on autoworker paychecks.

When i was born, there were 12 plants...large plants, in the city. Now it's down to 3. And that's just the main plants. Hundreds of feeder plants and suppliers closed too. But like i said earlier, when you lose plants that aren't auto related like Stroh's beer, it just sucks all the economic life out of you. I knew it was all over when Uniroyal closed up their Jefferson Plant. I just wanted to cry at the sight.

When it happens so fast like that, people lose hope along with their paychecks. Folks were so incredibly demoralized, that you could see their descent into hell. My uncle had been at Ford for 13 years when he lost his job. His whole life was Ford. He wrapped his life and literally defined himself by his job. When he lost it, he turned to alcoholism and just killed himself over the years. His two sons began to act out, and they've been nothing but a headache in life. Going in and out of jail...selling drugs, etc.

People aren't empathetic, and don't see how this can happen, but not all people can cope the same under the same circumstances. A lot of people i know moved on and did ok, but a hell of a lot of people fell into some pretty unspeakable things.

I still love the city more than anywhere else in the world, and it's heartbreaking to see what's happened. But still, Detroiters are the best people i've ever met....foibles and all.

Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Thumbs up Mayhem in Detroit, people are arming themselves

Self defense and survival are THE most basic instincts for any organism.

Good for the people of Detroit.

And good luck in your quest for a more civil community.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:05 PM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times
Detroit's outlying neighborhoods needs to be split into multiple small municipalities that are self-sufficient or at least functional. Like Palmer Woods as one town; Rosedale Park (where the armed robbery in the OP link took place) as one town. East English Village as one town. Etc.

The empty places should revert to Wayne County. (For those of you who haven't been to Detroit since the 1960s, when it looked more or less like Chicago -- it's now at least half empty. Huge areas just cleared of human settlement, factories, only burned-out shells remain. And like Chicago, it has stable neighborhoods that are 5+ or even 10 miles from downtown -- with vast wild areas in between that are not being adequately patrolled)

The concept of a big city with this level of dysfunction is pointless. What remains as the runt of Detroit -- downtown and New Center -- should probably go through bankruptcy, shed its obligations, and start anew.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westender View Post
Detroit's outlying neighborhoods needs to be split into multiple small municipalities that are self-sufficient or at least functional. Like Palmer Woods as one town; Rosedale Park (where the armed robbery in the OP link took place) as one town. East English Village as one town. Etc.

The empty places should revert to Wayne County. (For those of you who haven't been to Detroit since the 1960s, when it looked more or less like Chicago -- it's now at least half empty. Huge areas just cleared of human settlement, factories, only burned-out shells remain. And like Chicago, it has stable neighborhoods that are 5+ or even 10 miles from downtown -- with vast wild areas in between that are not being adequately patrolled)

The concept of a big city with this level of dysfunction is pointless. What remains as the runt of Detroit -- downtown and New Center -- should probably go through bankruptcy, shed its obligations, and start anew.
Correct on all counts. The city doesn't even exist as an entity anymore. My mom still lives in Boston-Edison, and the neighborhood is still viable. But you can cross the Lodge, and some neighborhoods are barely standing. Makes no sense. Delray is a great example. Should've been bulldozed and turned over to the county 20 years ago.

Some neighborhoods should simply be bulldozed and turned over to the county or state like you say. And they should sell them to anyone that has a viable plan to make it profitable or beautify it. Anything....just make SOME use of it. But it makes no sense to call a few square miles a "neighborhood" when only a few houses are standing on each block. There is no way the city, even with adequate resources, can care for something like that.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:16 PM

6,897 posts, read 4,749,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I know Detroit pretty well, and i wouldn't say that it's the case that folks are being kept poor and uneducated.

It's also not Liberalism at work, or any of that political crap. It has nothing to do with politics.

Detroit went into decline because the city had a mass evacuation....not "white flight" which most people attribute it's problems to. That evacuation was black and white.

It's simple. The industry you live by will kill you when it no longer exists. You die by what you live by. Every industry down to the restaurants were dependent on auto worker paychecks. Even church's have bailed on the city because of reduced membership and no money for facility upkeep. The Catholic Church has several churches and properties in the city for sale right now. They too were dependent on autoworker paychecks.

When i was born, there were 12 plants...large plants, in the city. Now it's down to 3. And that's just the main plants. Hundreds of feeder plants and suppliers closed too. But like i said earlier, when you lose plants that aren't auto related like Stroh's beer, it just sucks all the economic life out of you. I knew it was all over when Uniroyal closed up their Jefferson Plant. I just wanted to cry at the sight.

When it happens so fast like that, people lose hope along with their paychecks. Folks were so incredibly demoralized, that you could see their descent into hell. My uncle had been at Ford for 13 years when he lost his job. His whole life was Ford. He wrapped his life and literally defined himself by his job. When he lost it, he turned to alcoholism and just killed himself over the years. His two sons began to act out, and they've been nothing but a headache in life. Going in and out of jail...selling drugs, etc.

People aren't empathetic, and don't see how this can happen, but not all people can cope the same under the same circumstances. A lot of people i know moved on and did ok, but a hell of a lot of people fell into some pretty unspeakable things.

I still love the city more than anywhere else in the world, and it's heartbreaking to see what's happened. But still, Detroiters are the best people i've ever met....foibles and all.
I am from Pittsburgh and the same happened here when the steel industry folded up, but not to as large an extent. It did effect many smaller mill towns, such as Braddock Pa., But not so much Pittsburgh. Be sure to watch the video in the link.......

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/us...pagewanted=all

Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
I am from Pittsburgh and the same happened here when the steel industry folded up, but not to as large an extent. It did effect many smaller mill towns, such as Braddock Pa., But not so much Pittsburgh. Be sure to wahtch the video in the link.......

Rock Bottom for Decades, but Showing Signs of Life - NYTimes.com
Westerm Pa. is a story of horrible economic tragedy. My uncle lives in Clairton and raised his family there, and it can literally bring tears to your eyes to drive through Clairton today. It's like Detroit on a small scale. My dad spent his adolescent years in Massillon, Ohio, a town that's remarkably similar to most Western Pa. towns. Totally dependent on steel. Died by the steel too.

Yea, i'm going to watch the video. I saw the one about Braddock. Heartbreaking as hell. They've killed the Rust Belt....and the sad thing, a lot of people think that its a good thing they did. They blame the unions, but that doesn't even begin to tell the whole story.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:28 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Leave it to a liberal to come to this conclusion. Detroit is in it's current predicament for a lot o reason. An aversion to taxing it's citizens is not one of them.
I agree. So the money left Detroit. Detroit has a very high percentage of people that pay little in taxes? Who should "pick up the slack"? No tax base = no services.

If an entire City is mostly ghetto we may have to use the military for it's PD.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:38 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I agree. So the money left Detroit. Detroit has a very high percentage of people that pay little in taxes? Who should "pick up the slack"? No tax base = no services.

If an entire City is mostly ghetto we may have to use the military for it's PD.
Detroit needs to abolish its housing assistance and other welfare services and institute a Homestead Act. Condemn large swaths of the city and give away the land. Let folks build what they want within reason. The city would experience an up surge and new jobs.

Time to focus on productive people and stop kowtowing to the welfare class for votes.

Old 02-09-2012, 01:42 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,409,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Nonsense of course it has a lot do with it. Coleman Young needlessly antagonized white residents to curry favor with black voters and hold onto power. All good and well but these residents paid taxes and generated jobs. They left taking their tax dollars with them.

Andrew Young used a different tactic in Atlanta and that city although it has its troubles is a thriving metropolis.

Besides who wants to pay taxes and get nothing for it? The schools with a few exceptions in Detroit are crappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies