Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 04:17 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,637,787 times

Advertisements

"A teacher in California was fired after she called one student "Jew boy" and made fun of another special education student's speech impediment."

"The La Canada Unified school board's decision to begin the dismissal of high school math teacher Gabrielle Leko came after a nearly nine month-long saga where the teacher has fought complaints that she used multiple racist and sexist comments in the classroom, KTLA-TV reported."

Read more: Teacher fired after calling student

"On the website RateMyTeachers Leko garners an average overall score, but some of the low scored-reviews, issued by disillusioned students, shed light on just what has been going on in the shamed teacher’s classroom, as well as insight into her mindset. Some of the negative reviews are reprinted below, several dating as far back as 2004"

La Canada Unified School in California to Fire Teacher Gabrielle Leko for Calling Student ‘Jew Boy’ | TheBlaze.com

Sounds like she should have been fired long ago. Nine months of deliberations over this? Hiring of a second teacher to sit in on her class for 6 months? And there's still a chance she may remain in the classroom until the end of this school year? Why should it be so difficult to fire public school teachers? What other profession offers such protection?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
I can't wait for the usual comments to start coming in on topics like this. We'll probably get the "we need to quit with the PC in this world, or my favorite, "the teacher was probably joking and the students need to get thick skin"

Old 02-09-2012, 04:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
And the fellow is then allowed to retire himself to collect full benefits compared to letting the firing stand. Isn't being in the corrupt teacher's union grand?

Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times
Total BS. Just another example PC liberalism run amok. Jew boy and st..st..stutters need to toughen up. Life is cruel, and liberals are raising their kids to be victims.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,189,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I can't wait for the usual comments to start coming in on topics like this. We'll probably get the "we need to quit with the PC in this world, or my favorite, "the teacher was probably joking and the students need to get thick skin"
Exactly right, the students DO need to get a thick skin (and their parents).

Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me

Unless one is PC and cries when they step on an ant.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,071,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

I got one better for you, how about the teacher not call the student a "jew boy". The teacher wouldn't have to worry being let go.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:46 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
I am sure the teacher unions will be working hard to get her back in front of a classroom.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:48 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,950,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post

Teachers shouldn't act like they're 14 years old and resort to childish name-calling. It's unbecoming and unprofessional. A teacher should behave like a grown-up and conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. Kids look up to teachers and expect them to act like an adult not be like one of them.

If they aren't capable of acting like a grown-up then perhaps they should think about finding another profession.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:51 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I'm a teacher and I've got my own beefs with teachers/education unions, but having said that, what's fundamentally wrong about ensuring due process? Should people be fired merely for being accused of inappropriate conduct? How many times have I heard from white males (or any dudes for that matter) about how unfair it would be to be discharged for mere accusations of sexual harassment? Are we saying that company executives are entitled to protection that teachers aren't?

I can agree that it shouldn't take months to sort out -- but there might be more to the story than what's being reported here.

Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,870,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
"A teacher in California was fired after she called one student "Jew boy" and made fun of another special education student's speech impediment."

"The La Canada Unified school board's decision to begin the dismissal of high school math teacher Gabrielle Leko came after a nearly nine month-long saga where the teacher has fought complaints that she used multiple racist and sexist comments in the classroom, KTLA-TV reported."

Read more: Teacher fired after calling student

"On the website RateMyTeachers Leko garners an average overall score, but some of the low scored-reviews, issued by disillusioned students, shed light on just what has been going on in the shamed teacher’s classroom, as well as insight into her mindset. Some of the negative reviews are reprinted below, several dating as far back as 2004"

La Canada Unified School in California to Fire Teacher Gabrielle Leko for Calling Student ‘Jew Boy’ | TheBlaze.com

Sounds like she should have been fired long ago. Nine months of deliberations over this? Hiring of a second teacher to sit in on her class for 6 months? And there's still a chance she may remain in the classroom until the end of this school year? Why should it be so difficult to fire public school teachers? What other profession offers such protection?
I was with you until those last sentences. Why does every single thread around here on teachers have to turn into a bash of teachers? Teachers are some of the hardest working members of our society and some of the lowest paid. Republicans constantly bash teachers and then whine they can't attract qualified candidates to the profession. Maybe if we held teachers in higher esteem we'd have better teachers.

Tons of professions protect their workers. Should workers have no protection? What teacher is as protected as a banker who loses millions and then demands we make sure he keeps his job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies