Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 09:44 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Do you really? Doesn't seem like it to me...
Well, I could say the same about you.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It has nothing to do with common sense.
You're afraid to drive because there are stoners on the road, but have no problem with driving around with drunks on the road.

How many people a year die because of drunk drivers?
You're not afraid of them, but you're absolutely obsessed about stoners.

You have no credibility on this subject.

_______
BTW, I've done acid hundreds of times and never had the kind of "out of body" experience you're describing. Even STP didn't get me there.
So I have absolutely no idea where you come up with this laughable stuff.

No, you really don't know what you're talking about.
Is it hard for you understand that we need to minimize the number of people driving under the influence of anything. What is so complicated about this?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:47 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is obvious that pot use would skyrocket if it was legalized, so we would need to have a way to keep stoned drivers off the road. What part of it do you not get?
I do not see it that way at all FJ...I do not think Herb use would increase after the initial "fun time" was over in the very begining.

It WOULD keep a lot of folks out of jails and prisons where they shouldn't be in the first place and that in itself would be a giant help to America imho..

Old 02-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
I do not see it that way at all FJ...I do not think Herb use would increase after the initial "fun time" was over in the very begining.

It WOULD keep a lot of folks out of jails and prisons where they shouldn't be in the first place and that in itself would be a giant help to America imho..
Believe it not but there are many people who do not use drugs only because they are illegal, and they would use if they were made legal.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:02 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times
Quote:
Believe it not but there are many people who do not use drugs only because they are illegal, and they would use if they were made legal.
Yes,I agree with you because that's the reason I personally do not mess with it at all is because it's illegal and I have to much to lose(kids/home/business/freedom/clean record) to even think about taking that chance...(besides...can you imagine ME posting on here while baked?)

..BUT I still think that if it was legalized you would have a short period of time where experimenting folks would try it...I still believe that it would level back out and normalize again quickly and not become a problem.

It's not the driving hazzard that you are assuming...yes,it IS a hazzard and I can't argue that,but drunks,texters etc are a much,much greater hazzard....Less than a week ago I watched an IL state trooper text while driving....I would have rather had a stoner driving beside me.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:
It is obvious that pot use would skyrocket if it was legalized, so we would need to have a way to keep stoned drivers off the road. What part of it do you not get?
Oh really? This report would say otherwise..........

Quote:
Compared to the European Union and the U.S., Portugal's drug use numbers are impressive. Following decriminalization, Portugal had the lowest rate of lifetime marijuana use in people over 15 in the E.U.: 10%. The most comparable figure in America is in people over 12: 39.8%. Proportionally, more Americans have used cocaine than Portuguese have used marijuana.
The Cato paper reports that between 2001 and 2006 in Portugal, rates of lifetime use of any illegal drug among seventh through ninth graders fell from 14.1% to 10.6%; drug use in older teens also declined. Lifetime heroin use among 16-to-18-year-olds fell from 2.5% to 1.8% (although there was a slight increase in marijuana use in that age group). New HIV infections in drug users fell by 17% between 1999 and 2003, and deaths related to heroin and similar drugs were cut by more than half. In addition, the number of people on methadone and buprenorphine treatment for drug addiction rose to 14,877 from 6,040, after decriminalization, and money saved on enforcement allowed for increased funding of drug-free treatment as well.

Read more: Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report - TIME

Also:

Quote:
study released by a professor from the University of Colorado-Denver presents some interesting findings about the rate drunk driving accidents in states that have legalized medicinal marijuana, as Colorado has. It turns out that marijuana use may actually reduce the number of deaths due to car accidents.

The author found that the rate of accidents dropped 13 percent for men, compared with 9 percent for female drivers. That appears to parallel the fact that more men receive prescriptions for marijuana than women.

States with legalized marijuana have fewer car accident deaths | Denver Criminal Defense Attorney Blog (http://www.denvercriminallawattorney.com/2011/12/states-with-legalized-marijuana-have-fewer-car-accident-deaths.shtml - broken link)

More info:
Quote:
It is well established that alcohol increases accident risk. Evidence of marijuana’s culpability in on-road driving accidents is much less convincing.
Although cannabis intoxication has been shown to mildly impair psychomotor skills, this impairment does not appear to be severe or long lasting. In driving simulator tests, this impairment is typically manifested by subjects decreasing their driving speed and requiring greater time to respond to emergency situations.

Nevertheless, this impairment does not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents. A 2002 review of seven separate studies involving 7,934 drivers reported, “Crash culpability studies have failed to demonstrate that drivers with cannabinoids in the blood are significantly more likely than drug-free drivers to be culpable in road crashes.” This result is likely because subject under the influence of marijuana are aware of their impairment and compensate for it accordingly, such as by slowing down and by focusing their attention when they know a response will be required. This reaction is just the opposite of that exhibited by drivers under the influence of alcohol, who tend to drive in a more risky manner proportional to their intoxication.

Today, a large body of research exists exploring the impact of marijuana on psychomotor skills and actual driving performance. This research consists of driving simulator studies, on-road performance studies, crash culpability studies, and summary reviews of the existing evidence. To date, the result of this research is fairly consistent: Marijuana has a measurable yet relatively mild effect on psychomotor skills, yet it does not appear to play a significant role in vehicle crashes, particularly when compared to alcohol.
Marijuana's Effects on Actual Driving Performance
Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence
Erowid Cannabis Vault : Cannabis (Marijuana) & Driving Impairment Executive Summary

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 02-12-2012 at 01:58 PM..

Old 02-12-2012, 03:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,776,575 times
good post macready...

ppl just want to believe the propaganda they are fed...

they used to tell use in high school back in the 80's that smoking a joint increases the effects of alcohol 40x. so yes with a straight face they expected us to believe that if you drink a beer after smoking a joint you would feel like you chugged 40 beers. lol! i actually got in trouble for calling them out on that one...

personally i have smoked pot on and off (mostly on) for the past 30 years and drive all the time stoned. never had an accident in my life...

Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorfml View Post

personally i have smoked pot on and off (mostly on) for the past 30 years and drive all the time stoned. never had an accident in my life...
There is a good chance your habit of driving impaired will get someone killed one day

Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 PM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,532 times
Quote:
There is a good chance your habit of driving impaired will get someone killed one day
I'd say not.

Quote:
Nevertheless, this impairment does not appear to play a significant role in on-road traffic accidents.
Quote:
study released by a professor from the University of Colorado-Denver presents some interesting findings about the rate drunk driving accidents in states that have legalized medicinal marijuana, as Colorado has. It turns out that marijuana use may actually reduce the number of deaths due to car accidents.
Marijuana's Effects on Actual Driving Performance
Marijuana and Driving: A Review of the Scientific Evidence
Erowid Cannabis Vault : Cannabis (Marijuana) & Driving Impairment Executive Summary

Your hyperbole fueled rhetoric is a bit disingenuous.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:56 PM

I guess you never read the study this thread is about. Marijuana doubles the risk of a crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies