Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2012, 04:25 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I love it when men opine on issues about which they are clearly clueless.

Postmenopausal hormone therapy
Are contraceptives hard to come by? Expensive?

http://hotair.com/archives/2012/02/1...ost-to-anyone/

Quote:
The White House apparently wants t pretend that the funds for these outlays will come off of the Unobtanium Tree, where insurers find money to cover all mandates. This exposes once again a stunning ignorance of risk pools and how costs are passed along to consumers.

Their religious doctrines have long-standing prohibitions against participating in contraception and abortion, and nothing in this “accommodation” changes the fact that the government is now forcing them to both fund and facilitate access to products and services that offend their practice of religion.
Again, obama is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:29 PM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,114 times
Did obama propose something similar in his home country?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:42 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Are contraceptives hard to come by? Expensive?

Obama “accommodation”: Insurers must cover contraception at no cost to … anyone?; Update: “Magical thinking,” says LA Times « Hot Air

Again, obama is trying to pull the wool over our eyes.
Actually the insurance companies rather prefer dispensing birth control pills for free because it is vastly cheaper than having to pay for childbirth or abortions.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Well , we all know how Obama feels if a woman gets pregnant.. he doesn't want someone to have an unwanted pregnancy because they will be punished with a baby.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:44 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Yeah, yeah, idiots are still filing lawsuits about birth certificates. No suprise, Obama haters need something to whine about. With the economy improving and Obama being untouchable on National Security, publicons have to contrive some outrage...Good Luck.

The federal government did not tell anybody that their beliefs are cultish delusions, I did. I did because I'm not the President and it's the truth. The catholic church is tax exempt and still wants additional special privledges. Is every person the catholic church employess a catholic? NO. Why should they not have there birth control covered? Damn near every woman including catholics use contraceptives and polls show a majority support the President in this matter. Republicans need a wedge issue because they can't compete in regards to any real issue so they've dug up a tried and true one, religion.
Your saying that its ok because their beliefs are cultish and delusional. I wouldn't disagree with your position on the Catholic church and organized religion.

But that can't be a reason for the federal government to do this, and it doesn't excuse it either. Its a federal overstep, period. I think the federal government should either nationalize healthcare, or don't. Make it a right under the constitution to healthcare, period. Go ahead, that would garner my support. As it would be a constitutional action, and it makes sense since most Americans want people to be covered for their health needs.

I also think it should run on a state by state basis. Because what is good for Florida may not be good for New York.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I think Amanda Marcotte gets it right:

Obama needs young female voters to turn out at the polls in November, and hijacking two weeks of the news cycle to send the message that he's going to get you your birth control for free is a big win for him in that department. I expect to see some ads in the fall showing Romney saying hostile things about contraception and health care reform, with the message that free birth control is going away if he's elected. It's all so perfect that I'm inclined to think this was Obama's plan all along.

Didn't his mama every teach him that if you have to bribe your friends, they aren't really friends?!?!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
Didn't his mama every teach him that if you have to bribe your friends, they aren't really friends?!?!
Its not a bribe to think that health insurance should have to supply birth control as part of their coverage. It makes good sense, seeing as pregnancy is a huge cost burden on insurance carriers, and not to mention the new "mouth to feed" on top of that.

But the federal government should either be all in, or all out. Mandating what private corporations have to offer is well, unconstitutional and not what our founding documents suggest.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Here we go again.............. "pay for it themselves"
There are many women in the USA who CANNOT afford contraception.
They CANNOT afford to get contraception so guess what.........
If you are wealthy or in a good position you can control your pregnancies but if you are poor or less well off............ TOUGH!.... This seems to be the new American way... or so the right believe........... bottom line.... You get freedom of choice if you have money......
Actually, those who are poor like you describe already have free health care AND birth control on tax payer dime. It's those who are in the middle of rich and poor that is more at issue. And really, if we all paid for it ourselves instead of going through insurances, they'd be over the counter by now and much cheaper and easier for everyone to get!

But really, birth control is NOT expensive at all, even now! I can get an IUD for under $200 and condoms are less than $15 for a box. So to say you can't afford birth control is really dumb.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:56 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Obama thinks having a baby is punishment

President Obama: 'I Don't Want Them Punished With A Baby' - YouTube

Obama wants to make sure no one gets punished by a baby so he is pushing his birth control agenda.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its not a bribe to think that health insurance should have to supply birth control as part of their coverage. It makes good sense, seeing as pregnancy is a huge cost burden on insurance carriers, and not to mention the new "mouth to feed" on top of that.

But the federal government should either be all in, or all out. Mandating what private corporations have to offer is well, unconstitutional and not what our founding documents suggest.
I agree with you on the mandating... but on the part of what health insurance should or shouldn't cover should be negotiated between the insured and the insurer, should NOT be told what to cover by the government. If I don't want to have birth control coverage I shouldn't have to pay for it, if I don't want emergency room coverage, or urgent care, then I should be able to opt out of those things.

That's the problem with employer based insurance, the employer decides what's best for everyone, which is rarely actually correct. YMMV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies