Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:42 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
One correction, the total military makes up over 50% of the budget when you add everything in like homeland security, Nato, veterans benefits etc. etc.then throw in the interest we are paying on it.
Back up your claim with facts supported by links.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 05:21 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Here's a source but it is biased.

The Federal Pie Chart

Another biased source.

Our Evil Federal*Budget - Unpopular Ideas -

Another source, possibly more credible.

Where did the Pizza Go? Wisconsin Group Comes up with creative way to highlight Pentagon spending? | Interfaith Council for Peace & Justice

Here's a source that has a different breakdown.

Libertarian Republican: New Poll: American public hoodwinked over Defense Budget

Another source.

Clean Energy Industry: The One that Got Away? | WWF Climate Blog

A vast majority of the sources I found had over 50% of the US budget going towards the military. Much of that spending was tied up into pensions and benefits for soldiers. Not only do we have to fund wars on the front end through equipment, wages, intelligence, etc. But we also have to pay for the soldiers pensions on the back end.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Here's a source but it is biased.

The Federal Pie Chart

Another biased source.

Our Evil Federal*Budget - Unpopular Ideas -

Another source, possibly more credible.

Where did the Pizza Go? Wisconsin Group Comes up with creative way to highlight Pentagon spending? | Interfaith Council for Peace & Justice

Here's a source that has a different breakdown.

Libertarian Republican: New Poll: American public hoodwinked over Defense Budget

Another source.

Clean Energy Industry: The One that Got Away? | WWF Climate Blog

A vast majority of the sources I found had over 50% of the US budget going towards the military. Much of that spending was tied up into pensions and benefits for soldiers. Not only do we have to fund wars on the front end through equipment, wages, intelligence, etc. But we also have to pay for the soldiers pensions on the back end.
One of your own links says that defense spending is about 20% of the budget.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorites have defense spending at 20% of budgeted items.
Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
And the federal government shows that defense spending in 2011 was about 15% of budget,....the same percentage projected for 2012. Those percentages are up from 2009 and 2010 at 13 and 14% respectively.
Government Spending in United States: Federal State Local for 2009 - Charts Tables History
One would tend to put more faith in these sources rather than "pie charts on sides of vans", pie charts created in blogs, and propaganda from liberal internet sites.

But thanks for the libertarian link. It shows the true nature of defense spending.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:54 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Yes I don't know why people without jobs can't get a time share. Look, if you are going to steal trillions, you are going to end up with an ugly underclass who may one day revolt and try and kill you. Don't shoot the messenger.

Oh I forgot to applaud your hilarious joke. That's a real knee slapper.
OWS is going to try to kill someone? Is that part of their first ammendment rights?

Old 02-13-2012, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
One of your own links says that defense spending is about 20% of the budget.
The Center on Budget and Policy Priorites have defense spending at 20% of budgeted items.
Policy Basics: Where Do Our Federal Tax Dollars Go? — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
And the federal government shows that defense spending in 2011 was about 15% of budget,....the same percentage projected for 2012. Those percentages are up from 2009 and 2010 at 13 and 14% respectively.
Government Spending in United States: Federal State Local for 2009 - Charts Tables History
One would tend to put more faith in these sources rather than "pie charts on sides of vans", pie charts created in blogs, and propaganda from liberal internet sites.

But thanks for the libertarian link. It shows the true nature of defense spending.
I clearly stated in my post that most of the links were biased and purposefully posted the Libertarian link to show a different biased perspective. Clearly from my post, I wasn't trying to hide anything. Just as how I posted the article about the police officers getting hurt to support another posters claim.

I'm not here to try to slant things. I'm here to start an intelligent, reasoned discussion.

It is a little disheartening though that our own government isn't more clear about its spending though.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
OWS is going to try to kill someone? Is that part of their first ammendment rights?
I wouldn't say that she's advocating violence by her quote, more so making a correlation between historical incidents. In the past, in regimes where the people started to suffer, uprising occurred. Similar to what is happening now in Greece.

Currently in Greece, due to the high unemployment rates of young men, the men took to the streets and even overwhelmed the police.

In the past huge inequalities in wealth lead to revolutions and those in power being ousted. In this case it would be the politicians and corporate elite.

Kill is a very strong word. Overthrown might be more fitting.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Creating an underclass through fraud and deceit my result in diplomatic immunity being revoked. I don't know, I just have read too much history about how ugly slave revolts can be.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I clearly stated in my post that most of the links were biased and purposefully posted the Libertarian link to show a different biased perspective. Clearly from my post, I wasn't trying to hide anything. Just as how I posted the article about the police officers getting hurt to support another posters claim.

I'm not here to try to slant things. I'm here to start an intelligent, reasoned discussion.

It is a little disheartening though that our own government isn't more clear about its spending though.
Not to be confrontational, but I don't buy your explanation. Here is your statement to ted08721 in post #179:
One correction, the total military makes up over 50% of the budget when you add everything in like homeland security, Nato, veterans benefits etc. etc.then throw in the interest we are paying on it.
No big deal. We do agree that the government should be more forthcoming with what it spends.

Old 02-13-2012, 12:53 PM

20,716 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I appreciate that at least you acknowledge the faults of Occupy. Bottom line though is, the Occupy movement will live or die because of it's image to the general population. Right now that image is negative and if it remains so, it will continue to not recieve the support of the nation at large. It will dwindle and become little more than a stain on the tapestry of life....
The United States will live, and more likely die, because they believe in paradoxes like a leaderless movement crafting an image.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
Not to be confrontational, but I don't buy your explanation. Here is your statement to ted08721 in post #179:
No big deal. We do agree that the government should be more forthcoming with what it spends.
Actually, that was a correction he was making about [i]my[i] post. Another poster was stating that the military budget was higher than what I had posted. I can't remember (and am in a lazy mood) but I believe I went back and corrected the info or stated I was finding different numbers.

No worries, its a message board ha ha. You American, I'm American. Let's just try to get this country on the best track.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies