Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:04 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,074,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
The planets must be in alignment...I agree with everything that George Will said! That article is a clear and concise piece which echoes the frustration we see here on C-D that is felt by moderate Republicans, people who tend to be fiscally conservative but socially liberal. To quote Sinclair Lewis,
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a Bible." Will seems to be a lone voice, calling for a return to reality by the GOP...its members should heed his advice.
And it will have a faded "W" sticker in it's back window too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullCity75 View Post
That is way to nuanced to have any success on the Republican electorate. You have millions of catholic women using contraception that are scratching there heads about that whole incident.

When you have a political party and and a church conspiring together to reduce access to birth control to women based on their employer, that sounds a lot like big government too. Especially when you throw in the fact that most of these institutions already provide birth control. This was a political loser for the republicans and eliminates any chance of picking off any moderate women.

Exactly right, and the number of Catholics will continue to decline as the
parishoners tire of receiving "instruction" from an entity that is comprised solely of men, and allegedly celibate men as well. First the Cardinals elect a Pope who was a member of the Nazi Youth and helped Nazis flee to South America after WW II, then they continue to fumble in their refusal to censure priests who've committed pedophilia, and now they insert themselves into politics, as if this were the 16th century. No wonder Catholics are choosing to leave the church and choosing life paths that don't include the priesthood or the nunneries.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
And it will have a faded "W" sticker in it's back window too.
LOL! No doubt! The running joke here is my demented brother-in-law, who has changed bumper stickers every time there was a new "flavor." He's finally given up. Think I'll send him the link to Will's article.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
LOL! No doubt! The running joke here is my demented brother-in-law, who has changed bumper stickers every time there was a new "flavor." He's finally given up. Think I'll send him the link to Will's article.
That's funny...I have watched a guy here who started out supporting Cain...then Newt and now Santorum...his argument for all three was the same "good christian man"

He's the "odd" one in town ya know

Old 02-11-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
That's funny...I have watched a guy here who started out supporting Cain...then Newt and now Santorum...his argument for all three was the same "good christian man"

He's the "odd" one in town ya know

LOL! That reminds me of Ross Perot's "crazy aunt in the attic" remark. But to be serious (and on-topic), I don't see any of the usual suspects joining in the "George Will Is A RINO" chorus. They're strangely silent in this thread. Maybe it's reality hitting home: When George Will goes after the GOP, it isn't as easily dismissed as it may be had it been someone with less "K Street cred."

Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
LOL! That reminds me of Ross Perot's "crazy aunt in the attic" remark. But to be serious (and on-topic), I don't see any of the usual suspects joining in the "George Will Is A RINO" chorus. They're strangely silent in this thread. Maybe it's reality hitting home: When George Will goes after the GOP, it isn't as easily dismissed as it may be had it been someone with less "K Street cred."
Very true and I agree with Will....for probably the first time ever.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,175,484 times
When did Obama know about the location of OBL? It was months before he gave the green light to take him out. Why?

Old 02-12-2012, 08:55 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Yikes. Even George Will notes that Romney and most right-wingers I know are full of $hit when they say Obama is weak on military engagement and spending.

Osama bin Laden and many other “high-value targets” are dead, the drone war is being waged more vigorously than ever, and Guantanamo is still open, so Republicans can hardly say that Obama has implemented dramatic and dangerous discontinuities regarding counterterrorism. Obama says that, even with his proposed cuts, the defense budget would increase at about the rate of inflation through the next decade. Republicans who think America is being endangered by “appeasement” and military parsimony have worked that pedal on their organ quite enough.
Republicans need more than rhetoric on defense - The Washington Post

Bill Maher said it best, and I'm paraphrasing, if Obama was a Republican they'd erect a statue of the guy.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:56 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
When did Obama know about the location of OBL? It was months before he gave the green light to take him out. Why?
Sounds like sour grapes to me...the scumbag is fish food.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:00 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Are we shocked that a smart, conservative journalist would be honest and objective?

We need more of this from both sides.
Writers like Will, Saffire and Buckley are/were intelligent conservatives. You had to get up pretty early to win an argument with them. Unfortunately modern conservatism has been upstaged by extreme right wing radio talk show host that are far less intelligent and tend to say stupid things just to attract an audience and try to outdo the others to see who can be the most outrageous and nasty on the air. That is why I do not listen to them and listen to XM 168 which has more intelligent talk on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies