Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,903,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
The wingnuts would have all of us working without the protection of a minimum wage law. You know, those regulations just hinder companies from their goal, PROFITS FOR SHAREHOLDERS.
What do you mean "the protection"? Do you need to be "protected" or can you earn your own worth in the marketplace? I do not know anybody that works for minimum wage because everybody I know is worth more to an employer than $7.25 an hour or $8.25 which is the minimum wage here in Nevada. The only people that work for that are teens for the most part. I guess some jobs are only worth that but you have to be either a teenager or a highly unskilled and uneducated adult to work for that. I would not get out of bed for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
It appears you have the fix, how about the employers stop hiring illegals? Why are the same people that prey for a zero minimum wage the same ones that willing break the law by hiring illegals?

Wouldn't a national ID card solve the illegal problem overnight? Why do you wingnuts oppose a foolproof documentation while raging over undocumented workers?
e-verify would though but employers do not have to use it.
Our government doesn't even use it.

We have it to use but it sits there like a shining beacon while we all turn our backs and wave our arms in the dark.

You see, "they" don't want to solve the illegal problem. We have stealth amnesty going on right in front of our eyes and we refuse to acknowledge it.
Jobs, healthcare, education, financial assistance. It's all there and available to the illegals.

Heck, here in Texas the supermarkets have a batch of Western Union forms pre-printed with the information needed to send money to Mexico so our "undocumented workers" don't have to fill in all that information.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:45 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Default Florida considering cutting minimum wage for bar and restaurant workers from $4.65 to $2.13/hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.

This fits in nicely with the right wing corporate agenda.

They paint their enemies as librarians, police, firefighters, teachers, and now restaurant workers. While at the same time maintaining that those with incomes over $1million annually are in dire need of more tax relief.

And their sheeple followers get in lockstep.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Well wait and see how many quit to find better paying jobs.
Let the workers speak volumes by quitting.

That would send a bigger message then crying to your elected official for the government to step in and "do something".

People need to start ACTING here and stop wanting government to fix their every little problem.

When you have no workers you won't have customers. When you have no customers you have no revenue.

We'll see if people stand up to the system here.
Agree! And the types of workers a business would get for minimum wage are not the types of workers they would want if they want to keep customers.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And of course it's the liberals that would want taxpayers to subsidize these cheap workers with all kinds of food stamps, Section 8, Medicaid and CHIP so that they can eagerly accept these low paying jobs.
People have to eat and they have to live somewhere. I do not object to helping them as long as they are working. People who refuse to work are another matter.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Senate bill could cut servers' hourly wages - OrlandoSentinel.com

This is such garbage. They're already paying restaurant workers less than the minimum wage, and now they want to cut that by more than 50%?

If they can't afford to pay their workers a decent minimum wage, they shouldn't be in business at all. What's next? Will they eliminate the minimum wage completely? If this passes, I hope the workers walk.
No they are not paying less than min wage.
Tipped workers have a different minimum wage.
The Fed min wage is set at $2.13/hour for tipped workers.
At least be informed of facts before you become outraged.

U.S. Department of Labor - Wage & Hour Divisions (WHD) - Minimum Wages for Tipped Employees (http://www.dol.gov/whd/state/tipped.htm - broken link)

Old 02-12-2012, 12:01 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes - do the math. Average dinner with drinks somewhere from $20 to $40 a person. A table of 2 would bring in $6 to $12, a table of 4 double that. A half way decent waiter or waitress can handle 5-10 tables or more at a time. Each table should turn over 3 or 4 times an evening.

No wonder I had more money when I was in college working in a restaurant than I have now.
Absolutely! Another good example of why a person should be paid what he/she is worth. I eat out a lot and base my tips on the quality of service provided by the wait staff. If dinner for two costs $50 and the service was top notch, I can leave as much as a $15 tip (30% gratuity). For one person, large tips of that nature can add up to a pretty sizeable income if business is good. Most of the time, the service is average to good, and I often leave a 15% gratuity for those servers. Even regular tips like that can give servers a good deal of extra spending money on the side.

Last night was a different story. We ate at one of our favorite sushi restaurants in Scottsdale and the waitress was inattentive & unorganized. One of the orders was wrong, and we had to wait an incredibly long time for dessert & the check to arrive. On top of that, she left & never came back, so we had to call out the manager. I ended up leaving the waitress a FIVE CENT tip. That's right! Pay them based on the type of service they provide, and to hell with the minimum wage.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:31 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAisGreat View Post
Like I said...good little Republican <pat on the head>
Let me guess, another victim of the public school system?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:53 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,301,605 times
Quote:
What law has Obama signed that killed jobs? Facts not wingnut rhetoric or talking points. Identify jobs that were lost because of Obama's policies. Be aware that since the first quarter of 2009 we have had a net gain in jobs.
Baloney! There has not been a "net gain". Don't give me the administrations lies! That's based on their "fuzzy math".

Jobs lost by Obama policies: Gulf drilling moratoreum. How many thousands?

Killing the XL Pipeline: Estimated 200,000 total.

That's two good instances right there. Want to deny it? Go ahead.
Quote:

So, doctors should start on bed pan patrol? A profession engineer starts as a file clerk? You must understand that an education makes that person more valuable, they have internalized the basics of their industry during their education, they don't need to start at the very bottom. In my field (my second career), we had students, INTERNS and Co-ops, that worked on the job as part of their education.
Don't be ridiculous. Those right out of school with no experience in the real world do not know how businesses operate. The "basics of their industry?" Baloney. They have book learning. Period. You don't know what your talking about.

We had an engineer at our plant one time with all kinds of degrees; but the guy could barely tie his own shoes. All he did was make life miserable for everyone. He needed to learn how the real world works. He was the laughing stock. He thought he knew everything.

My wife had a similar experience in her store, when they sent her some "greenhorn" right out of college that thought he knew everyting. She finally had to insist that they remove him from her store. They did.
Quote:
Obviously, you don't have much of an education, your lack of respect for the educated and education shows.
Yeah, that's what you libs always say when you lack an argument. It's always, "Get an education." You people are so transparent!
Quote:
In my first career, I spend thousands of hours training and schooling to earn my journeyman's title. Without that education I might have been a pounder or laborer most of my life. That education probably doubled my income in my first 20 years.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2012 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,200,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Baloney! There has not been a "net gain". Don't give me the administrations lies! That's based on their "fuzzy math".
Absolutely no fuzzy math to it, after Obama got his stimulus law going, six months in, jobs losses dried up and we saw job growth.

http://cloudfront.mediamattersaction...vsec108211.jpg
Quote:

Jobs lost by Obama policies: Gulf drilling moratoreum. How many thousands?

Killing the XL Pipeline: Estimated 200,000 total.
Wow, that's funny, the official estimate is about 6,000 jobs created if it is built. How does 6,000 possible jobs gained turn into 200,000 jobs lost? Oh, that's right, wingnut math.
Quote:

That's two good instances right there. Want to deny it? Go ahead.

Don't be ridiculous. Those right out of school with no experience in the real world do not know how businesses operate. The "basics of their industry?" Baloney. They have book learning. Period. You don't know what your talking about.
Engineers straight out of school often have trouble adapting to ingrained ignorance of the workers they supervise. Just as workers think they know everything and don't need uppity engineers interfering with how they do things. Guess who the problem is. The inflexible workers that hinder improvement to production. You one of those?

I admit some kids out of school are lousy designers. One of my last jobs before I retired was being the go to person for the young ones, used to review design concepts and offer advise on means and methods. Some kids never grow out of that phase, but most know far more than you give them credit for.
Quote:
We had an engineer at our plant one time with all kinds of degrees; but the guy could barely tie his own shoes. All he did was make life miserable for everyone. He needed to learn how the real world works. He was the laughing stock. He thought he knew everything.

My wife had a similar experience in her store, when they sent her some "greenhorn" right out of college that thought he knew everyting. She finally had to insist that they remove him from her store. They did.

Yeah, that's what you libs always say when you lack an argument. It's always, "Get an education." You people are so transparent!
no, I am am a highly skilled trades person, you could only hope to receive the thousands of hours of FREE education. No I wasn't a laborer, I served a 400 plus hour pre-apprenticeship and a four year apprenticeship. From there I built a business that allowed me to retire at 55. I've contracted hundreds of kitchens and over a dozen homes. One of my kitchens took months to install and took second place that year nationally.

Last edited by CaseyB; 02-13-2012 at 03:46 AM.. Reason: copyright
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies